Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

fuel canister among other issues I need help with

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel canister among other issues I need help with

Alot of people say there is no fuel filter on the 01 to 05 civics, but my brother bought this filter for my 02 dx that is supposed to be the filter and after some searching I found the part,

#12 in the diagram

my brother tried to replace it but couldnt find location of it on the car.

today while driving, as I came to a stop the cel came on and the car wouldnt go more than 10mph with the pedal on the floor. I drove it that way for a mile or so to get to a gas station. I popped the hood and checked the engine which smelled hot. The exhaust manifold was beginning to cherry especially at the junction between the cat and the down pipe to the muffler. Temp guage was normal, below half. I let her sit for a bit to cool off, cranked her up and she ran but really rough but cel was off. I killed it anyway to let her cool somemore in case of faulty temp sensor. When I cranked again the cel came on immediately and car had very nasty exhaust note, backfired sometimes when revved it up, it seemed to have a hard time revving up and idled real rough, sputters and dies, wont start then so I let her sit for a bit again. After a little bit I crank her up again, cel still on, idle rough as hell.

this car is my only transportation and I need her to run. Plugs, fuses okay, fuel pump comes on with key. It cranks, but idles real rough.
will post links to audio clips of the car.
my guess is either poor fuel pressure or blocked cat, since the car has two i hope its the one closer to the muffler so i can just unbolt the down pipe to get her home.

audio clip

please please help

also, I dont own a dtc obd2 code machine, and no way to tow it right now.

Last edited by Phoenix5; 09-24-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: fuel canister among other issues I need help with

Your fuel filter is in your fuel tank attached to the fuel pickup/pump. The item in your link refers to an entirely different system that is designed for emissions. Also, it is very unlikely that it needs replacement, as they're not a typical wear item.

Your issues make it sound as if your catalytic converter is clogged/damaged, and needs replacement. If it is damaged, you may have a blown oxygen sensor, which could be causing the CEL and poor idle.

Just as an FYI, Advanced Autos/PepBoys/AutoZone/Oreilly's/Checker... etc... should be able to scan your codes for free.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I knew that the auto stores would but cant get my car there unless she can go faster than 10mph. What ill try to do is rent one.
my car is sitting at a gas station in town. I will try unbolting the downpipe from the first main cat/manifold and see how she runs. A guy at the gas station thought my fuel pressure was low but since you seem to concur with my idea of obstructed exhuast I will focus on that.
thank you veey much toyomatt

Okay so the car has sat overnight at a gas station. A few minutes ago I cranked her up and she is running decent enough to drive, revs up all the way as she should. So I decided to try to get her to advance auto to check the cel code but maybe less than a milr up the road, as she reaches normal operating temp she bogs down, wont rev up all the way. So im at another gas station now. Im going to try disconnecting the down pipe from the manifold and see what happens.

Okay I got the downpipe off, I noticed there isnt a second cat, just the one built into the manifold. With the pipe off the nasty noise is alot louder so my assumption is the cat itself. She seems to rev up more with the downpipe off but im afraid of driving her and getting stuck in the middle of the road.

Okay so I think I got a hole through the waffle stuff in the cat. Some white cotton looking stuff came out, but not much, im assuming that it is a component of the cat. With the hole in the cat she is staying running, revs up all the way even at operating temp. Seemed like she heated up faster than usual.

Tried to drive her but she is so sluggish and wont go over 10mph

Last edited by toyomatt84; 09-24-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Sanji

You don't have an EX, so the catalytic converter is part of your exhaust manifold. There's only one catalytic converter for Civics (all generations that have catalytic converters included, not just the 2001-2005's), so you shouldn't be surprised that there's only one.

Removing the downpipe will of course make the car louder, as you're removing the muffler and resonator from the system. The "white cotton stuff" should be the fiberglass used in the catalytic converter, and you've now ruined that catalytic converter by poking a hole through the membrane within. You'll need a new catalytic converter, regardless of the potential clogged one's condition.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I will get one from junk yard.

here is obd2 data

p1362 tdc sensor 1 no pulse
p0108 manufold absolute pressure/baro sensor high output
p1361 tdc sensor 1 noise
p1298 eld voltage high
freeze frame data
fuel sys 1 ol
fuel sys 2 na
calc load 54.1
ect farenheit 195.8
stft bt1% -0.8
ltft b1 % 0.0
map inhg 16.2
eng rpm 520
iat farenheit 152.6
Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0108/P1361/P1362: The MAP/baro sensor and and TDC sensor are real close to each other on the wire harness. Check the condition of the wire harness as they may be related. I would check grounds too. There's one from the block to the radiator core and one under each headlight (access is behind the plastic inner fenders).

P1298:The ELD (Electrical Load Detector) going bad can cause all sorts of weird problems or nothing at all. I have a feeling it's related to the other codes though. I'd replace the ELD, re-set the ECM/PCM and see what it does. It's about $30 at the dealer. Ask for part# 38255-S5A-003, otherwise they'll try to sell ya the whole under-hood fusebox ($250).

And yes, the cat is now FUBAR. You're gonna need a new one if you want to pass emissions. Junkyard probably won't sell you a salvage one.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced the tdc cps sensor. I had the battery disconnected while doing so to clear the codes. I was able to drive her normally. I havent driven her since then. But I will keep you updated. As far as the eld I would really like to replace it but my paycheck lady is sick. I was lucky to get away with fixing the cps sensor and getting home. The map sensor code may have been my fault because I unplugged it as part of troubleshooting but I did plug it back in becuase the engine idled worse. The wiring harness looks perfect.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I drove her yesterday without much issue. The cel came back on. Got the eld code again and catylitic inefficiency code p0420. There arent emissions testing in my area so I got lucky. I found some info about using nonfoulers to trick the ecu into thinking everything is cool. if anyone wants to see me do this let me know and ill post pics.

Im actually kinda deterred from running straight pipe becuase the exhaust sounds like a crappy motorcycle....
my guess is the only way around that is a different engine.
also, what are the differences between d17a1 and d17a2 besides vtec?
reason I ask is becuase I have interest in dropping in an engine I dont have to buy alot of stuff to get to work. I have the non vtec sohc d17 and would like to have vtec.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Sanji

If emissions aren't an issue, you could look at the Magnaflow OEM replacement manifold/catalytic converter for your car. Its more durable then the stock unit, and is a direct bolt-in (also, it is cheaper).
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there are some sub 100$ direct bolt on straight manifold without cat on ebay. I think ill just finish punching out the membrane for now. I dont even have vtec.

I like those carving lover soul wheels you got but you only got three available. I cant get them right now anyway :/

Well after some research it seems the consensus is that a punched out cat reduces performance due to its shape. Ive read it might give you a 1hp gain in some places. Im just a regular stock na motor d17a1 no vtec. So I guess I just need to replace it. My manifold and cat are one piece, does magnaflow make a cheap oem replacement?

can I just put a universal inline cat on the down pipe?

Last edited by toyomatt84; 09-27-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Sanji

Magnaflow cat/manifold: http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=50884

As for running a universal cat., you can certainly do that, but you'd need a replacement manifold and someone willing to do some cutting/welding exhaust work.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cutting and welding no problem. Universal cats are extremely cheap compared to what I have. Its something ill have to think about I suppose.