Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Doesn't seem like a typical scenario

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't seem like a typical scenario

Hey everybody, Ive been dealing with this problem for just over a few months now. Searched everything high and low and so far fml..

When my car started exhibiting odd symptoms was just after i changed the computer so that the A/C DIDN'T come on when i turned the fan on to defrost the front windshield.

I followed these instructions:

Now not too long (within 2 weeks) after that my thermostat went bad (no heat in the cabin when the car was at a stop). First I thought it was my heater core so i flushed it all out. Then realized it was the thermostat, changed it, during the system burp/bleed the thermostat took a very long time to reach the 1/4 mark on my temp gauge and then fan never once came on. eventually i reved the engine enough that it went up to the normal operating temp and everything seemed ok.

300-370 kilometers later (after an hour on the highway) the coolant reservoir cap popped a bit and coolant exited from it, the car overheated (gauge went to 3/4 of the way to the top), I turned the car off, removed the rad cap, steam and coolant came out as I would expect.

So after the engine cooled I parked it on an incline, and re-bled the coolant system (I let it run for probably 40 minutes and the fan didn't ever come on) then installed a new rad cap.

400-500 kilometers later it overheated again! and again I turned it off, popped the rad cap, let it bleed for awhile with the fan on full heat inside the cabin, fans didn't come on. turned the car off, set the temp dial to cold, no fan on, turned the car back on and the temp gauge stayed at normal operating level... drove 120 kilometers home, no temp gauge issue. I stopped on the way home to check the reservoir and it was almost empty which made no sense to me but i brought it back up halfway to the MAX line and continued on.

this morning i switched that little a/c defrost setting back to the way it came, drove 30 kilometers or less and it overheated again..
Again.. turned it off,popped the rac cap, turned it back on, heat on full with the in-cabin fans on full, JUST NOW the radiator fans both came on... that is the first time ive ever seen them come on.. bled the system on the side of the highway again.. it went back down to normal operating temp, rad cap back on and off we go again, no overheating..

an hour later i got it back to my place, rad cap off again.. let it bleed for 25-30mins with the in cabin fans on full with the dial to the hot setting.. no overheating at all.

My apologies for the repetitive details, I am being as thorough as i can.

What Im wondering is it is possible the little defrost switch i did could have had something to do with any flow of the coolant system resulting in a bad thermostat or anything else going on..

No white smoke
Oil is clean
The car temperature gauge has never exceeded 3/4 (i've always turned it off in time and its only been at 3/4 for maybe 20 seconds)
No loss in power
Old 05-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Doesn't seem like a typical scenario

the temp gauge should never exceed the halfway mark*
also did your heat work after you installed the new t-stat?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Doesn't seem like a typical scenario

Originally Posted by 01civicexcoupe
also did your heat work after you installed the new t-stat?

Yep! That part was all good. I just took it for another 7km drive and the coolant level in the reservoir didn't change at all, nor did it overheat