Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

awkward transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awkward transmission troubles

i have been having a lot of awkwardness from my transmission lately. somehow i busted a hole in it from the inside-out. all of the fluid is leaking out and there is oil around the inspection plate. if anyone has had this issue or can help me with how to remove the inspection plate to check my main seal it would be much appreciated. the main bearing could have some part in this but im not sure
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: awkward transmission troubles

Originally Posted by em2-matt
i have been having a lot of awkwardness from my transmission lately. somehow i busted a hole in it from the inside-out. all of the fluid is leaking out and there is oil around the inspection plate. if anyone has had this issue or can help me with how to remove the inspection plate to check my main seal it would be much appreciated. the main bearing could have some part in this but im not sure
Are you assuming there's a hole in the case and hoping it's only the mainshaft seal? Otherwise, why would you not want to completely remove the transmission? How much fluid has leaked?

Anyhow, I believe there are a couple little brackets you need to remove before you can pull the clutch cover off. It's not difficult, but I can't find any pics of it. Of course, this is based on the assumption that you have an EX coupe with a manual transmission since you did not specify what model you have.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the car up on jack stands and I know there is a hole. It's not much bigger around than a pencil. And yes it is a EX coupe. I do plan to remove the tranny on Friday but I was wanton to check the inspection plate to see if main seal needs replacing
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by em2-matt
I have the car up on jack stands and I know there is a hole. It's not much bigger around than a pencil. And yes it is a EX coupe. I do plan to remove the tranny on Friday but I was wanton to check the inspection plate to see if main seal needs replacing
I don't understand. If the transmission is blown, and you're already going to be removing it.... eh .. ..

Okay, it's like this.. The transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt anyway, right? If you replace the transmission, why worry about the seal in the blown transmission? If you decide to rebuild it, you're going to be (should be, anyway) installing new bearings and seals anyway.

Are you trolling, or am I just completely misunderstanding you?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry if I'm not real clear on everything man. I have no knowledge in transmissions, a buddy of mine keeps askin me questions and idk how to answer them so I posted them on here.
I do need another transmission though but all the junk yards in middle tennesse area that I've checked so far has only automatics
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel your pain. It took me almost 3 months to find mine (manual, autos are everywhere). I got lucky and found a guy parting out on CL.

That might be your best bet. If you were closer I would give you my old one to have it rebuilt (no holes in it, lol)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A used transmission is usually cheaper and easier than a rebuild. Just check around, one may pop up