Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

2003 honda civic hybrid 1.3l please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 honda civic hybrid 1.3l please help

i have a couple of question . my girlfriend was driving my 2003 honda civic hybrid 1.3l 4door the other day the radiator took a dump .she had to get it towed . she was driving it on the toll road and when she stopped at the toll booth to pay she say steam coming from under the hood so she pulled over and took a look . she then phoned me to let me know i asked here to check the temp gauge in the car, she then let me know it was in the middle no change from normal use. so the tow truck brought the car home . i started looking at it the next day so i poured water in the radiator to see if there leaks .as i did that i started to notice oil bubbling up i thought it was motor oil and started to think Ive blown a head gasket or toasted the head so i started to freak out cause that's $ so i started to check all fluid levels in the car and the trans fluid was empty so i went back to the radiator and smelt the oil that i saw and it smelt like trans oil . so i looked on line and saw there atf cooler(automatic transmission cooler) probably went bad . i want some advice on what i would need to replace . and what your opinions are on what needs to be done . and also for this model car is the oil cooler in the radiator. and if you know where i can get honda or aftermarket parts that i need for a good price thanks again for your help.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 2003 honda civic hybrid 1.3l please help

Originally Posted by diego949
i have a couple of question . my girlfriend was driving my 2003 honda civic hybrid 1.3l 4door the other day the radiator took a dump .she had to get it towed . she was driving it on the toll road and when she stopped at the toll booth to pay she say steam coming from under the hood so she pulled over and took a look . she then phoned me to let me know i asked here to check the temp gauge in the car, she then let me know it was in the middle no change from normal use. so the tow truck brought the car home . i started looking at it the next day so i poured water in the radiator to see if there leaks .as i did that i started to notice oil bubbling up i thought it was motor oil and started to think Ive blown a head gasket or toasted the head so i started to freak out cause that's $ so i started to check all fluid levels in the car and the trans fluid was empty so i went back to the radiator and smelt the oil that i saw and it smelt like trans oil . so i looked on line and saw there atf cooler(automatic transmission cooler) probably went bad . i want some advice on what i would need to replace . and what your opinions are on what needs to be done . and also for this model car is the oil cooler in the radiator. and if you know where i can get honda or aftermarket parts that i need for a good price thanks again for your help.

By the sounds of it; the radiator, ATF, and coolant.

It appears to be a mixture of both. There is some sort of external unit, but the ATF also passes through bottom of the radiator.
(from what I can see in the manual)

There is a list of sites in the
FAQs (it's a link. click it.)