Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

02 civic ex with vtec runs fair up to about 3k

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 02 civic ex with vtec runs fair up to about 3k

Here is the shortened story of this car. I bought it over a year ago and it was wrecked in the front end. I spent the past year buying parts as money was avail and rebuilding it...which is what i did for a living for the first 20 years of my life so that part went smoothly and it now is back to pre accident condition. The previous owner had all the reciepts for it showing it had had a new tranny and timing belts and full servicing done by the honda dealer in the previous year or two and she was on the highway from out of state when the accident happened...so i would assume it was running ok at that point...but who knows i guess. Anyway, the car after being repaird which required a replacement of the main fuse block and air bags and computer for them...the car fired up and runs ok just sitting there, but when i first drove it i quickly saw it had low power once trying to get up to speed. It just fell on its face once up around 3k rpm and if you were on the throttle hard it was worse then if ya kinda snuck up on it. Sitting in park it sounds ok untill you floor it and then its sluggish speeding up, it seems to be trying to spit out the intake some and wont rev up right surging between 3 and 4k at which poit in acts like a rev limiter is coming in...with the air cleaner out its quiet loud with what sounds like as much exhaust noise coming out the intake as the muffler. I have checked all wiring and connectors, fuses, replaced air filter and inspected the air intake for any leaks or damage. yest i decided it must be the map sensor so replaced it. it still is doing the same thing. The dash is lit up like christmas..srs abs check engine and if ya run it up to where its surging and leave it there for more then a second or two the other engine symbol light comes on too. I scanned codes and it gave me mis fire cyl 1.2.3.4.and random misfire. plus high voltage input...which i think i found and fixed as when i installed the new fuse box with the voltage regulator in it i did not get the wires plugged into it properly.
Ok, whew. There are the facts...oh, it also seems to sorta now and then when cranking to start wants to kick back a bit on one cyl, and twice now it did not even want to start, but normally it starts fairly well.
Im a pretty fair mechanic, been doing it all my life, but these computer controlled engines are just not my thing. My wife is getting pretty unhappy about not being able to drive the car which we bought to save gas money on as the durango is eating us up on fuel as much as her work requires her to drive. I cant afford to take it to the dealer and let them start throwing expensive parts at it. If any of you have any ideas of things to check or try to fix or diagnose this thing i would greaty appreciate it because im at the end of my rope on this thing and am about to the getting rid of it point, but have to much in it now to ever come out if its not running right.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 02 civic ex with vteh runs fair up to about 3k

Anyone have any suggestions?