Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Originally Posted by thegoose2377
Hey what up man thanks for responding EM2 -- while I know you know your stuff, doesnt mean that because its overheating that the head has been damaged -- I agree 100% that if I keep on driving it like this that I will have to deal with having to resurface the head, would you agree? With that said I do plan on replacing all the parts that you have listed above -- for now though im using a FAL electric fan controller to override when the fans come on which ( just leave em on the whole time) til I can get all these parts together and then replace em all. What do you think?
welll... 95% of the time, if your car has overheated anywhere near 3/4 on the temp gauge, you are guaranteed to have overheated it enough to warp the head. also, more times that you would hope, the culprit is a sticking thermostat due to either a bad temp sensor, or a bad thermostat, or even both. so, if your only bypassing the fan switch(aka the temp sensor), this does not mean your thermostat is opening and closing when it should. if you're going to do that until you can get it all fixed, then i bid you godspeed. hopefully that will hold your motor over until it gets fixed. but i am almost certain that your head will be warped if it has overheated enough. in my case, my car didnt get anywhere near 3/4 on the temp gauge and still, my head was warped. i dont know why. i just know that this motor sucks when it comes to that situation. lol.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Questions? Ask them here! (overheating, coolant, et

Yeah kinda pissed me off that my honda was acting up -- in my mind they are indestructible -- and for this to happen really bummed me out -- kind of off topic but since you know your stuff -- what do you think about this :Complete Gasket Set
MLS Head Gasket
Wiseco Performance Pistons
(75, 75.5, 76mm bore)
(8.8, 9.5, 10.5mm comp ratio)
Plasma Moly Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
Thrust Washers
TOGA Main Bearings
TOGA Rod Bearings-- for 925$$ heres the link http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...pek-honda.html

they say minimum of 40 ponies gain from these bad boys -- never heard of these guys though -- with stage 2 cams valves and retainers -- hondata kpro im thinking like 170- 180 whp
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You're not going to see 170whp, even with K-Pro. You're looking at 160whp tops, even with all that. For the money spent, you're also going to impact the reliability of the engine, as well.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey what up Straw Hat -- you say I would effect the reliability of the car. I definitely dont want to do that. Im planning on boosting my EM2 -- how would I make a reliable car + a semi track car -- reason for all those internals is so that I dont blow through my engine when I hook it to a turbo planning on pushing rods too -- confused on how it would effect reliability though since I would be able to control pretty much everything through K-pro ( not doubting your info just stating my opinion ) -- I am a fore ever student.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the D17 was not really "made" to be boosted... it has a plastic intake manifold, for crying out loud... that alone should say enough. i agree that it will all mess with the reliability of the car. even with a small turbo and low boost level, to me, its not worth all the hassle and extra maintenance. but if you dont mind the extra maintenance and all that jazz, then go for it. your motor will run hotter though.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Sanji

Hey what up Straw Hat -- you say I would effect the reliability of the car. I definitely dont want to do that. Im planning on boosting my EM2 -- how would I make a reliable car + a semi track car -- reason for all those internals is so that I dont blow through my engine when I hook it to a turbo planning on pushing rods too -- confused on how it would effect reliability though since I would be able to control pretty much everything through K-pro ( not doubting your info just stating my opinion ) -- I am a fore ever student.
Investing sums of money in a D17 seems rather trivial these days, to me at least. The money is far better spent on a K-series swap, in my opinion. You've got a more reliable engine up front, and significantly greater potential and aftermarket support.

Tuning a car will make it the most reliable in its given condition... however, there are inherent design "flaws" in the D17 that limit its overall potential.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i hear you toyo -- so I thought I had fixed these problems but nope -- so on my way to me is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-Honda-Civic-Vtec-EX-HX-SI-1-7-MLS-Head-Gasket-Set-D17A2-D17A6-/220918667183?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336fc757af&vxp=mtr

i know ebay but they are just replacement parts -- rite? as well as water pump and timing belt -- how much to resurface the head.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey toyo and em2 thanks for all the info and help looks like I want to run before I can even walk -- this was all the proof i needed -- K20 here I come -- first I gotta get this running for now at least,, dont quite have enough for all those parts yet. Lets hope all is well after I do this.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Sanji

yeah i hear you toyo -- so I thought I had fixed these problems but nope -- so on my way to me is

01 05 Honda Civic vtec EX HX SI 1 7 MLS Head Gasket Set D17A2 D17A6 | eBay

i know ebay but they are just replacement parts -- rite? as well as water pump and timing belt -- how much to resurface the head.
To be honest, if the maintenance is performed correctly... those parts shouldn't cause any issues for you. Resurfacing can vary in cost. I've seen it as cheap as $100... but its going to vary. Just make sure you go to a place that has a good reputation, so you don't end up getting screwed.

As for the K-swap, its truly a different car when you have a K. The power feels more "immediate" and within reach, during all ranges of the RPM band. Its a refreshing feeling, since (without the K) the car lacks very little in terms of desirable features, in my opinion. I fit in mine exceptionally well (being broad-shouldered and 6'2" makes this a challenge for many cars). And, no matter how many times I drive/modify/whatever to it... I'm always looking back with a smile on it. It makes me happy every day, and that's probably never going to change.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info looked up some places and found one recommended by a honda tech member going to give em a shot once I get my car to my mechanic. K series have to make that happen soon. Either a vacation late this year or a k swap. Thanks again Straw Hat.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on a last note for you... as someone once said... "if it's on ebay, leave it there."
essentially, your best bet to fixing your current problem is to use Honda OEM Replacement parts for that fix. anything else and you may likely run into the problem again. also, as matt said, the head resurfacing varies. i got mine done by a reputable place for $50 flat.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Sanji

Thanks for the info looked up some places and found one recommended by a honda tech member going to give em a shot once I get my car to my mechanic. K series have to make that happen soon. Either a vacation late this year or a k swap. Thanks again Straw Hat.
Honestly, the K-series really is a fun swap. If you like most everything about the car, other then its lack of power... well, the K-series will certainly change your attitude about it.

PS. I did notice the reference to One Piece. Guilty admission: Sanji is tattoo'd on my back.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
Honestly, the K-series really is a fun swap. If you like most everything about the car, other then its lack of power... well, the K-series will certainly change your attitude about it.

PS. I did notice the reference to One Piece. Guilty admission: Sanji is tattoo'd on my back.

Thats whats up bro,, Sanji is one koo dude -- hardcore -- toyo -- Props on the K swap and that tat.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo Em2 -- I hear you bro -- but I did look into that company before I bought em-- had all kinds of good reviews not a single bad one on Ebay -- (which dont mean much) but then I looked em up online and they popped up on forums too -- apparently their batting average is up their my dude. What do you think.
P.S where you get that head resurfaced?? Im from the SD too.

Last edited by thegoose2377; 10-01-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had it resurfaced out here in the LA county. perhaps a 2.5 hour drive for you. dunno if you wanna make that trip just to get the head resurfaced. lol but you might. i dunno. maybe make a nice trip out of it?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the first post should be updated to keep things simple and it's as simple as this...

If you own an 01-05 Civic and you experience any kind of overheating, you need a headgasket. If it was caused by the fans not coming on or a faulty thermostat, if the headgasket was fine before that, it won't be after the fix.

Come to my dealership at any given time and you will find atleast one of these cars in it getting a headgasket.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Almighty-Si
I think the first post should be updated to keep things simple and it's as simple as this...

If you own an 01-05 Civic and you experience any kind of overheating, you need a headgasket. If it was caused by the fans not coming on or a faulty thermostat, if the headgasket was fine before that, it won't be after the fix.

Come to my dealership at any given time and you will find atleast one of these cars in it getting a headgasket.
lmao. i will agree. you have looked outside the box brother.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lil update on that overheating I had going on -- took it apart detached the head and what do you know no blown headgasket what still completely intact -- I ended up buying the full gasket set they sell at orielly's autoparts -- too -- so since we had the head off -- we decided to might as well go all the way and tear it apart all the way -- bad surprise waiting for me too -- clutch was basically done -- would have been a nightmare to have done all that just to go and take it apart in like 2 weeks -- soo now were thinking water pump -- because head gasket was good -- we replaced radiator with cap -- thermostat -- thermostat sensor -- radiator fan switch -- and nothing so this week looking @ replacing all those new gaskets -- picking up the head today from machine shop -- can anyone think of anything else!!?? --- also all new hoses are going to be used --
Old 10-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lil update on that overheating I had going on -- took it apart detached the head and what do you know no blown headgasket what still completely intact -- I ended up buying the full gasket set they sell at orielly's autoparts -- too -- so since we had the head off -- we decided to might as well go all the way and tear it apart all the way -- bad surprise waiting for me too -- clutch was basically done -- would have been a nightmare to have done all that just to go and take it apart in like 2 weeks -- soo now were thinking water pump -- because head gasket was good -- we replaced radiator with cap -- thermostat -- thermostat sensor -- radiator fan switch -- and nothing so this week looking @ replacing all those new gaskets -- picking up the head today from machine shop -- can anyone think of anything else!!?? --- also all new hoses are going to be used --
your head gasket might look fine. check the head to see if it is warped. when i did mine, the gasket looked perfectly intact. but the head was definitely warped.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EM2abe
your head gasket might look fine. check the head to see if it is warped. when i did mine, the gasket looked perfectly intact. but the head was definitely warped.

yeah I hear you thats the concluxion I came to. Re read your post and saw that you mentioned that -- I did have it machined shopped. I get that bad boy tonight or tomorrow nite so im def pump,, theirs that part inside me that's stressing out though keep thinking something else is gonna go wrong you knows. --- Once again thXX for your help homie.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem buddy. hope everything works out.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Over heating problems help!

So my wife was driving my 2005 civic one mourning and the car she put on the heat and it started to overheat then i towed it to the shop they flushed my civic pressure tested the coolant system replaced my radiator cap and laughed at me and told me its not broken because it never overheated for them! A week later i was driving i turned on the heat and it overheated i towed it to the shop and they said oh your water pumps leaking they replaced it! I went on my way for about a week and they replaced the thermostat & said it might be an airbubble in the system so they sucked it out and now its a week later and the damn thing is overheating again! Is it a head gasket?! I dont know what else it could be! It is only when the heat is on that it over heats and if i pull over the car will cool down within 5 minutes! Sometimes it will be fine after that and sometimes itll over heat again 10 minutes can someone help me! Is it a head gasket? the fan turns on so its not that and theres no leaks of coolant anywhere in plain sight but when i check for bubbles by taking off my radiator cap i dont see any and theres no white smoke in my exhaust!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over heating problems help!

this should help:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...hlight=cooling
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over heating problems help!

It sounds like a head gasket.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everything sounds like a head gasket. lol

Quick Reply: ► 01-05 Civic Cooling System Q&A (overheating, fans inoperable, etc.)