Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

A Tale of Two Civics; or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Buy Another Civic"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Tale of Two Civics; or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Buy Another Civic"

Hello all, I wanted to share with you folks my car story for the last few months.

So I have driven a 1992 eg hatch (Si) for years now, and I have always loved it to death. Here's a link to a thread I made extolling it's virtues about a year ago.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...92-si-3267903/

For months now, I have been focusing on getting my Graduate school applications ready, as I will be finished with my bachelors degree very soon, and for the longest time I couldn't figure out what to do with my EG! I may not need it at whatever school I move away to (Chicago, and NYC are some of my prospective destinations, among others).
Well about 2.5 months ago, I decided that if I didn't need a car for a few years in Grad school, I would simply winterize this car, and put it up in long term storage. That way when I finish with all my schooling and finally have the freedom to work in my prospective field, I will always have my precious EG.

About 1-2 weeks later, on a Tuesday night, the unthinkable happened.

I hear a knock on the front door of my house around 2:30 AM. I go to answer it, and there is a police officer, and several police cars directly in front of my house with their lights all on.
He says; "Son, is this your car?"

I look at the spot directly in front of my house, along the curb where I had tucked-in my EG for bed at 9:30 that night, and my car wasn't there. (I park in the street, but snugged well up against the curb; it's a neighborhood where every house has at least one car consistently parked in the street.
He points about 75 feet down the street, in front of my neighbors driveway, and I see my car.

Well, that was my car officer.
A drunk person had driven into my car head on going about 45 down my residential street, on the way back home from a local dive-bar. She was trying to make it a hit and run, but her 2012 corolla was too damaged to drive.
While I waited outside to finish up all the accident report paperwork, she was busy failing the sobriety test with flying colors; She spent at least one night in jail for DWI.
The bright side I choose to find in this part of the story is: Better she totaled my parked car than she totaled a minivan full of children.
Still though, my heart aches to recall my EG, slain before its time.

After about 2 weeks of insurance company tango, I was able to get what the car was worth out of them, and I started car shopping.
Because I had JUST decided that I was going to keep this car essentially forever-and-ever, car shopping was the LAST thing on my mind, but after a few days of getting into the swing of things, it was car search time!

Do I want another civic?
A Prelude?
Can I afford an S2K?
MX-5?
300zx?
240sx?
FC RX7?
RX8?

The search was exhausting. I searched through every interesting Japanese car model I could think of, page after page after page of craigslist ads, nothing giving me that warm feeling I had always gotten from my EG.
But then I remembered;

Wait!
EP3!

And after only 1 short day of searching, I found a perfect candidate in a town close to me, in almost the same stock state as my EG had been, with the exception of some aftermarket "Drag" wheels that the previous owner had purchased.

After the first drive, it was love. The EP3 had all of the things I loved about my EG, and then a few more things. It feels a little more modern, and a little bigger, and perhaps a little more stable (wheels?) but sometimes if I let myself drift away into driving bliss;
I swear its like I'm still driving my dearly departed EG.

I've kept this 2004 EP3 totally stock with the exception of little mods, like front and rear light housings, full LED light conversions, Synthetic MTL, small stuff like that. I plan to keep it stock, as I derive the greatest joy from driving cars as the manufacturer intended.

In conclusion, I hope you all enjoyed my story of loss, sadness, and renewal.

I love my new EP3!!!

TLDR: My EG got hit by a drunk, replaced it with an EP3.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Tale of Two Civics; or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Buy Another Civic"

Congratulations on the new vehicle, looks like you need to change your signature now!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: A Tale of Two Civics; or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Buy Another Civic"

This was actually a cool story bro.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Great story man. Glad everything has worked out in your favor. I'm sorry the EH2 bit the dust, but I'm glad no one was truly hurt for someone's indiscretions. I'll think of it as the EH2 sacrificing its life for the safety of others.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the way I choose to look at at.

Signature updated!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some OEM Honda wheels would look better.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden
Some Volk wheels would look better.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Master Ninja

Man that really hit the feels after I saw your completely stock EG clean as a whistle and then see it wrecked by some *** hat. But very happy you found something awesome to replace it. Have always loved EP3's was my second choice if I couldn't have found a clean FA5.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: A Tale of Two Civics; or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Buy Another Civic"

I agree that these Drag's that came on the EP3 are totally overkill.
If I ever start bleeding money I really want a set of RPF1's. (not likely seeing as I'm headed to graduate school, LOL)

I'm really glad that I got to share this story with you guys.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story and saddening as well. That EG looked immaculant.

You'll love the K-Series. Enjoy your new car!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I'm a day late (more like 8 months) but this story hits the feels. I have always wanted to keep my civic forever, only owned it 5 years now. But I know it wont happen as it is a TURD bucket. So to see a case like this where a dam good civic has a chance at a long amazing life..only to be brought down by such an undeserving a** wipe...hits the feels big time.

Congrats on new car purchase though!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: A black set of 16" Rota slipstreams will be arriving this week for the EP3, along with some beefy bf Goodrich tires. Pictures to follow!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

oooft, that's painful to look at.