Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Paint Guru

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Help we my pennies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Guru

i want to get my car painted asap, but its cold and its been snowing lately.
is is better to wait till my weather is warmer?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Paint Guru (BLUE EH3)

any one know?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLUE EH3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i want to get my car painted asap, but its cold and its been snowing lately.
is is better to wait till my weather is warmer?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Paint Guru (all*motor*d16z6)

bump
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM

if you take your car to someone that has a heated booth then you will have no problems.the cars surface temp needs to be above 56 degrees for the car to dry. but if the shop is heated and the car has been in it over night it will be fine.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Guru (2hatchs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2hatchs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you take your car to someone that has a heated booth then you will have no problems.the cars surface temp needs to be above 56 degrees for the car to dry. but if the shop is heated and the car has been in it over night it will be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good to know
Old 03-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint Guru (tracebuzta)

yeah but if its snowing near him, wait cuase why would ou want salt and all that crap all over a fresh paint job?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Paint Guru (92 Hatchie)

salt
Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Help we my pennies

bump
Old 03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2hatchs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you take your car to someone that has a heated booth then you will have no problems.the cars surface temp needs to be above 56 degrees for the car to dry. but if the shop is heated and the car has been in it over night it will be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bullshit in so many ways to you for posting false information

if your car is daily driven and you dont have a second car..id suggest waiting until warmer weather to paint your car..if you have a spare car you can drive until your freshly painted car cures you can paint it tomorrow...most bodyshops have booths but not all of them have booths that bake...if you go to a body shop that has a booth that bakes you will be fine..but i strongly suggest you take the car home from the body shop and leave it in a garage for a few weeks(heated or non heated garage will work) just to make sure its totally cure before you expose it to the elements...in order for paint to cure it has to be applied then you have to let it sit for a while before you bake it..after you bake it it has to cool..then it should be brought to a climate controlled space and left to cure for a few weeks if possible..a garage is good place to let it cure after it has been baked and cooled..

but the above statment about the surface temp being 56 degrees is totally false..paint can cure in -7 degrees...with a windchill..ive done it..actually yesterday in chicago..it was 22 degrees for the high and i painted 2 bumpers outside and the cured totally fine..its all about knowing what stabalizer to use in your base coat and what reducer to use in your clear

i wouldnt recommend anyone to paint anything outside when its that cold..i did it because i need'd the sunlight and i didnt wanna move cars out of the shop so i could use the booth to paint two bumpers
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Help we my pennies

i got my buick, till i sell it!! 600$$$$$$$
Old 03-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Help we my pennies

my plan was to get the car painted and leave it outside till i sell my buick
Old 03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leave it inside until you sell the buick..or wait till its warmer to leave it outside
Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Paint Guru (Grip)

how warm?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Help we my pennies

they have a booth that bakes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Help we my pennies

up
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bullshit in so many ways to you for posting false information

if your car is daily driven and you dont have a second car..id suggest waiting until warmer weather to paint your car..if you have a spare car you can drive until your freshly painted car cures you can paint it tomorrow...most bodyshops have booths but not all of them have booths that bake...if you go to a body shop that has a booth that bakes you will be fine..but i strongly suggest you take the car home from the body shop and leave it in a garage for a few weeks(heated or non heated garage will work) just to make sure its totally cure before you expose it to the elements...in order for paint to cure it has to be applied then you have to let it sit for a while before you bake it..after you bake it it has to cool..then it should be brought to a climate controlled space and left to cure for a few weeks if possible..a garage is good place to let it cure after it has been baked and cooled..

but the above statment about the surface temp being 56 degrees is totally false..paint can cure in -7 degrees...with a windchill..ive done it..actually yesterday in chicago..it was 22 degrees for the high and i painted 2 bumpers outside and the cured totally fine..its all about knowing what stabalizer to use in your base coat and what reducer to use in your clear

i wouldnt recommend anyone to paint anything outside when its that cold..i did it because i need'd the sunlight and i didnt wanna move cars out of the shop so i could use the booth to paint two bumpers</TD></TR></TABLE>

BY THE WAY I SELL AND HAVE USED ABOUT EVERY PAINT LINE YOU CAN THINK OF AND YOU CAN CALL BS ALL YOU WANT BUT IF YOU ARE SPRAYING ANY PAINT WITH AN ISOCYANATE ACTIVATOR IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO DRY CORECTLY UNDER 56 DEGREES. THATS NOT BS THAT IS A FACT. TEMP MAY VARY BETWEEN PAINT LINES BUT AROUND 50 DEGREES IS WHERE THEY MOST ARE NO MATTER WHAT REDUCER YOU PUT IN IT. IF YOU DONT BELIVE ME READ THE DAMN LABLE. THEY WOULDNT PUT IT ON THERE FOR NOTHING. AND IF YOU CAN FIND A LABLE ON ANY KIND OF PAINT THAT SAYS YOU CAN I WILL CALL MY ON WORDS BS.

EVEN ON MOST SPRAY CANS IT SAYS NOT TO SPRAY ON SURFACES BELOW 65 DEGREES. DAMN ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE MY JOB SO HARD. THEY DONT READ.

Modified by 2hatchs at 11:11 AM 3/3/2005

Modified by 2hatchs at 4:19 PM 3/3/2005
Old 03-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone in the illinois area is welcome to stop by and ill paint anything you want in freezing tempuratures for free(as long as its small)..then you can tell this retard his words are BS...its "recommend"by the mfgr. to paint at a certain temp and the surface "should be a certain temp" but you dont have to follow those rules..there is a diffrence between a experienced painter who knows what you can and cant get away with and when..and a person who reads labels off of paint cans and acts like a painter
Old 03-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2hatchs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

SO IF HE DID PAINT OUTSIDE IN 22 DEGREE WEATHER THAT SHOULD TELL YOU NOT TO TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO HIM TO GET IT PAINTED BECAUSE CLEARLY HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING.

[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok man..make decisions before youve ever seen my work..its cool..typical hater as usual on h-t..but the facts are...ive painted a **** load of stuff for people on h-t as well as **** load of dealerships in the illinois areas as well as state farm insurance, farmers insurance and a few more....lets see your work/vouch's?

anyone wants to see my work..serach my name "Grip" and look for the thread titled "FINALLY...no more championship white"

if anyone wants i can also take pics of other things ive painted..including wheels,bumpers,strut tower bars,cars, motorcycles, boat parts etc etc..the list goes on...or you can listen to someone who quotes spray cans and says he knows what hes talking about..experience speaks louder than smarts my friend(if thats what you call quoting spray cans)
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM

look dude, im not the one who started this dance i just joined in. all i am saying is that from my expereance even in 45 degree weather the paint does not dry like it should. for one it takes hours longer than it should to dry and two it doesnt cure like it was made to. look im sorry for saying you dont know what you are doing but like i said you started it. and the comment about the spray can was a referance for everone who cant get there hands on automotive paint or data sheets. as for me i dont use spray cans like you think i use dupont, valspar, house of kolor and on very little ocasion matrix. and i know for a fact duponts 7500s clear will not dry (at least not over night) under 45 degrees even with 7565s (low temp) activator or a fast *** urethane reducer. so as far as me not knowing what the hell i am talking about your wrong, but i am sorry and will take out the comment i made

ps: 10 years in automotive refinishing
Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Help we my pennies

i when to shop today, they r havin a sale on march 17th