Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

How can I relocate my front plate like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I relocate my front plate like this?

My front plate bolt fell off, and I noticed that the thread for the bolt is all screwed up. So I need to remount my plate somewhere else. I'd like to mount it like this so I don't have to drill the painted bumper section:

What are the exact parts I need to do this? Sorry for stealing the pic kid1320
Old 08-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (fnananon)

Well, in the hood, we use zip ties.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (Gabe_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gabe_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, in the hood, we use zip ties.</TD></TR></TABLE>

gangsta gangstaaaaa
Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend bought a bracket from pep boys. check and see if the carry it.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

post made by thaseint on SH a while back...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ok well I just got done with my license plate relocation modification and I figured I'd go ahead and post the results. I got pretty bored waiting for my CF hood to arrive Now all I have to do is go to the Honda dealer tomorrow and get some of those license plate hole caps

I found thise modification on CSi, and I figured I'd share the information with you guys. Here's the instructions...credit goes out to fbp99hatch from CSi on this one. This does require that you drill a hole in your bumper*; however it depends how you want to do it. I went my own way with this and only ended up drilling 2 holes which can't be seen when the plate comes off. (I'll explain later)

1) Buy some L shaped brackets from Home Depot, mine were 1-1/2" x 5/8" zinc plated corner braces. The cost about $1.50 and you get 4 of them plus some screws.

2) Remove the front bumper...this will make doing the modification 100 times easier.

3) You want to mount both brackets as show in the illustration provided by fbp99hatch.

Notice how fbp99hatch says to screw the top portion of the plate to the bumper? Well I wasn't about to put some visible holes so I simple just used two small bolts and nuts to go in their place. One tip I have though is that it's a wise idea to use a sharpie or some other writing instrument to mark where these brackets should go...just saves the pain of having to drill a bunch of holes.

4) As for those bottom bolts...well I couldn't come up with a way to mount those to the bumper so I simply just put two bolts and nuts down there to complete the look. Really this is about creativity so if anyone would like to add any ideas then go for it...

*I nor fbp99hatch will be held responsible for this modification, it's a VERY easy modification to do and doesn't take long at all, as I said before it only took me 25 minutes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (glowing_turbo)

zipties is alright, but the front plate could scratch your paint so for my i can't.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG1)

you can see my bracket in this pic

-Bryan-
Old 08-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can make it yourself because thats the only way you can make it stiff and **** so that at those high speeds it wont flop around and hit your paint on your bumper,,,,,,,, take my word for it take you bumper off and test fit it several times and make sure its stiff so some jackass thats hattin wont just come by and kick it right off,,,,,,,,,,, i spent like about an hour takin if off and puttting it back on and doing the holes on my bumper and making brackets so it would work,,,,,,,, now wherever i go people always like how you do that and can you do that for me in my car ,,,,,,, i used only 3 brackets which used the top two plate holes and one on the bottem which was drilled into the bumper and kept the bottom from shaking around when you get it done its worth it ,,,,,,,,,,, good luck
Old 08-16-2003, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drevinder)

or buy the cusco one
Old 08-16-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Re: (GuerillaUnion)

Where can you buy the Cusco one???
Old 08-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GuerillaUnion)

please tell me you are joking
Old 08-16-2003, 07:35 AM

don't honda carry them?
Old 08-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have a 96-98 civic you should have everything you need to relocate your plate similar to that. here is a pic of what you will end up with.

the lower lp bracket is a y shape. flip that around and that will be the top bracket. bend the mounting tabs that touch the lp up wards a little. if you don't your plate will be angled down like the pic. in the lower grill in the 96-98 there is a hole in the area that the oem fogs are located. that is where you will relocate the bolt tab that secured the lower bracket in the middle of the grill. I did have to cut some of that circle out once the tab was in place for the screw to go through all the way. once you have done that mount the brack then attach the plate to the bracket and you are done.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (enrique)

ive heard those cusco ones are like 80dollars, to me that seems like a huge waste a money consider you can do it for a couple cents, heres mine wit zip ties
Old 08-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (Doogie Howser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doogie Howser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard those cusco ones are like 80dollars, to me that seems like a huge waste a money consider you can do it for a couple cents, heres mine wit zip ties
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That looks damn good
Old 08-16-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (rodrez)

What's the point?
Old 08-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (fowleryo)

it lets my aerospeed front mount intake breath y0!
Old 08-16-2003, 09:24 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (enrique)

i relocated my front license plate to the trash , have no desire to have a front license plate
Old 08-16-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i relocated my front license plate to the trash , have no desire to have a front license plate</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did that for like a few weeks, then MR. PO came along and gave me a 70 dollar ticket NYS requires front plates on. So i bolted that bitch right back on. check ur state rules first.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (BanUglyImportModel)

this is how mine looks and if you check my old post you can see you can make brackets yourself like i did

cant really see the plate but you get where it is
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but it would block your hella supertones :D
Old 08-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntEGNYC)

i had to move it over towards the middle because i installed OEM fogs, but zip ties are the way to go
Old 08-16-2003, 10:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowleryo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, it's useful if you're boosted, with an intercooler. It's not in the way, meaning you have more flow... Other than that, i guess it's just cosmetic...
Old 08-16-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Re: How can I relocate my front plate like this? (TheCanuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheCanuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, it's useful if you're boosted, with an intercooler. It's not in the way, meaning you have more flow... Other than that, i guess it's just cosmetic...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can understand if you're boosted, and I can undestand if it actually looked good...
Old 08-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowleryo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can understand if you're boosted, and I can undestand if it actually looked good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

some people want to keep those license plate hole covers on, so they move the plate to the side.

moving your plate to the side is like wearing a baseball cap to the side. it's not functional, and to some it doesn't look good, but it's just personal style

Quick Reply: How can I relocate my front plate like this?