Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Hard decisions/ Needing advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard decisions/ Needing advice and opinions

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the community so sorry if I ask dumb questions/make dumb comments and if there is a better board/thread group to ask these I'll be sure to move the posting there. Just testing the waters here and wanting some advice from the experts (you guys).

I've decided to get into the Honda/Acura scene as of recent (budget/looking for something new to try out). I've been looking at either a 4th Gen Honda Prelude SR-V or an Acura Integra SE to start with. I'm aware that while the Prelude makes more hp/tq, it's heavier than the Integra, and the aftermarket is a bit lacking when it comes to parts. I know the Integra (especially something like an SE) makes less hp/tq, has a plethora of aftermarket parts, has great potential for trackability, and has a solid chassis. I like both for different reasons (the Prelude dash has to be one of the nicest dashes I've ever seen and I think I'm in love with it to be entirely honest haha) and I like the front end as well as the general appeal of a strong tourqey engine, but I also like the Integra for its racing pedigree, style, and the aftermarket. I know the Integra is the more favorable choice but what are some pros to the Prelude? Does it have good handling and as rigid a chassis as the Integra? Is the aftermarket so lacking that an H22 build would be lacking more-so than if I went with a b18/ LS Vtek/ GSR engine?

I'm not entirely 100% certain on Honda/Acura engines but I'm currently doing research into them and trying to figure out what it is that I want out of one. I'm not looking for judgement, but I am looking for helpful advice/thoughts; I'm wanting a 240-300hp final build (this won't be anytime soon and yes, I will get to know my stock car first and gradually work on suspension/wheels and tires/brakes/cooling/bolt-ons, well before I start looking at some massive hp gains). The final intention is to have it as a fun daily/track day car that can do some highway pulls once and awhile. What engine would work better for an Integra? I've heard that the LS Vtek swap is good and can beat out a GSR but I've heard just as much with the opposing argument. Is this an argument that can be proven with sources and facts or is it always going to be an up-in-arms debate? What are your guy's thoughts on the matter if I wanted to have an NA final build? What are your reasons for going FI for those of you that have? What is your experience against NA engines and vice versa to the NA crowd? (I purposefully neglected to mention a Prelude swap as I'd rather keep the stock H22 if I went that route).

I'm sorry for any ignorance and I will edit/delete/move this if it has a better segment, if more information is uncovered, and as I read on more myself, I'm simply wanting some opinions and sources to determine which one would suit me better as I like both but am having a terrible time deciding which one I'd rather have. Currently I'm looking at a $1,900 1999 Integra SE and a $2,500 1995 Prelude SR-V (either price is okay since I will have a $4,000 budget to start, and while I can get the nice and shiny 1998 Integra GSR for a pretty $3,500, I'd like to have some money left to get general maintenance done/ get Konis/GCs as a first investment. All prices are in Canadian $ (about $0.75 USD).