Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

Guys with after market steering wheels?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with after market steering wheels?????

Ok great I got my wheel in looks really cool!!! Now how the hell do I get the horn to work???

Everything was wired into the SRS and cruise control. I don't mind losing my cruise control since I never used it much. Kinda worthless in NY.

So it looks like I may have to do some wiring to get it working. I removed the whole SRS system and of course now I have that stupid light on but I think I can figure that out.

I just need some sort of idea to wore up the horn!!! I'm sure I could figure something out but I wanted to see what you guys have come up with
Old 10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (turboman)

LTB has a Sparco external horn button you can use if nothing else.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its Really Easy. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ***, but Its just of matter of getting the horn wire to make contact with the back of the hub via a horn shoe(i believe)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup...I used the brass clicker piece from an oldschool plastic flashlight (you can get them at Walmart) and a short piece of wire. The gray wire/plug/harness was originally plugged into the srs reel thingy from the factory wheel. Tap into the red wire coming out of the plug. Horn works like a charm...because the brass piece is always in contact with the back of the hub. As for the SRS light...I just removed the bulb from the back of the cluster.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (gabebauman)

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are there two wires from your hub? My hub has only one wire which goes to the metal ring at the back.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Thanks gabebauman, I've been trying to get my horn to work too
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Sweet Title

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (leopard maz)

OH YAH!

good thing you're mad jdm now.

...without an airbag
Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (sixfiveoh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixfiveoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OH YAH!

good thing you're mad jdm now.

...without an airbag</TD></TR></TABLE>

so gettin an aftermarket steering wheel makes u mad jdm? i believe it was his choice to be without an airbag..

way to make urself look like an ***
Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (TrackRat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrackRat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so gettin an aftermarket steering wheel makes u mad jdm? i believe it was his choice to be without an airbag..

way to make urself look like an *** </TD></TR></TABLE>

i actually think it's illegal to remove a factory safety piece like an airbag.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Sweet Title

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrackRat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so gettin an aftermarket steering wheel makes u mad jdm? i believe it was his choice to be without an airbag..

way to make urself look like an *** </TD></TR></TABLE>

make myself look like an ***? what the hell is the point of an aftermarket steering wheel in a daily driver ESPECIALLY to replace one that has an SRS system? The only time I can see a point is in an older car not equipped with an airbag or if the car is strictly a track car. Airbags save lives, I know of countless stories to prove this point, and I actually lost a friend due to his airbag NOT deploying.

way to be an ***

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathanong87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i actually think it's illegal to remove a factory safety piece like an airbag. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it is
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive also read about airbags that deploy and do more harm than good...i dont think you are in a position to ridicule the op for making tht decision..i'd say abt half the members on here have replaced their steering wheels on their daily withouth u riding them abt it..
Old 11-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

airbags act as a secondary restraint system, thus their named as "supplementary"
Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (garyc17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garyc17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are there two wires from your hub? My hub has only one wire which goes to the metal ring at the back.</TD></TR></TABLE>
there are two wires because one comes from the back where he attached the "shoe horn" which is a positive wire, and he needs to ground it to make the horn get power so added the "extra wire" so he can give it ground to attach it to the horn button which and make the horn sound.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leopard maz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could the insurance company not pay you because you have an after market steering wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be a critical piece of information to know
Old 11-27-2006, 11:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sixfiveoh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make myself look like an ***? what the hell is the point of an aftermarket steering wheel in a daily driver ESPECIALLY to replace one that has an SRS system? The only time I can see a point is in an older car not equipped with an airbag or if the car is strictly a track car. Airbags save lives, I know of countless stories to prove this point, and I actually lost a friend due to his airbag NOT deploying.

way to be an ***

</TD></TR></TABLE> one of the main reasons im not too set on buying one... but it is another way form of protection from thieves... at the cost of your own life
Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to napa and tell them you need a clockspring, its used for electrical contact for rotating applications
Old 11-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Sweet Title

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrackRat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do more harm than good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Sweet Title

the stories of airbags doing more harm than good were true for earlier airbags, since then the technology has much improved, and they are true lifesavers. I'm just lookin out for the OP. It's a very good feature to have.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not illegal to remove your factory steering wheel for a aftermarket NON SRS wheel.

I was sent to the state ref and my SRS light was on. He said i would need to get that checked and fixed. But he said he would ok it if i had a aftermarket steering wheel.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok great I got my wheel in looks really cool!!! Now how the hell do I get the horn to work???

Everything was wired into the SRS and cruise control. I don't mind losing my cruise control since I never used it much. Kinda worthless in NY.

So it looks like I may have to do some wiring to get it working. I removed the whole SRS system and of course now I have that stupid light on but I think I can figure that out.

I just need some sort of idea to wore up the horn!!! I'm sure I could figure something out but I wanted to see what you guys have come up with</TD></TR></TABLE>

follow this link http://weaksauceforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=535

the procedure is for the 92-95 civic, but it is basically the same method to wire up the horn. HTH
Old 11-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (asiandoood)

I have a momo wheel because I put in a hatch dash w/o a passenger side airbag, and thus disabling the drivers side as well, so reason to have dead weight in the car
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (Loi-Tech)

Can I just somehow screw a wire down to the metal internal structure of the hub kit and connect the other end to the horn switch? This would act as the ground. The positive 12V will come from the shoe horn. Since the metal structure of the hub kit is connected to the steering shaft, it can be a ground point.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Guys with after market steering wheels????? (garyc17)

have the same problem. my personal horn button only has one tab on the back, unlike the one posted. the older personal buttons were different! i want my damn horn too!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so....what if you don't even have a horn? my car didn't come with a horn and it's been completely rewired... i wonder if i can wire one up manually

Quick Reply: Guys with after market steering wheels?????