Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

@@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 08:28 PM
CALM_AS_A_BOMB

Default @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@

Just got my Milano red DC back from body shop. I have the drivers side door repainted. Here's my problem, on the surface of the paint has fine fine swirl marks. Is there a way to get rid of this w/o a repaint? It;s very evident after I wash the car w/o waxing or polishing.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@ (MUTANT X)

It depends on just how fine of scratches are there, but go to a good body shop supply and ask for System One polishing kit. It's about $80, but comes with three pads and enough compond to do one large car. If you go through all three pads and follow the directions, you should be able to get rid of most 1500+ scratches. For anything heavier than that, Meguires (?sp) has some real good compounds and so does 3M, just ask your local supply.

BTW, you have to be careful trying to pull scratches though, especially with a buffer since it's real easy to eat through the clear and do damage to the actual base coat paint.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:36 PM
CALM_AS_A_BOMB

Default Re: @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@ (sibanez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sibanez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends on just how fine of scratches are there, but go to a good body shop supply and ask for System One polishing kit. It's about $80, but comes with three pads and enough compond to do one large car. If you go through all three pads and follow the directions, you should be able to get rid of most 1500+ scratches. For anything heavier than that, Meguires (?sp) has some real good compounds and so does 3M, just ask your local supply.

BTW, you have to be careful trying to pull scratches though, especially with a buffer since it's real easy to eat through the clear and do damage to the actual base coat paint.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

can u recomend any 3m products or Meguires
Old 01-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Try Meguiars Swirl Free Polish (#82). If that doesn't work I would try Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish (#83 I think)
Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 PM

The easiest way for me to get swirls out my paint is with a Porter Cable random orbital buffer. You can try removing them by hand, but its hard to generate enough heat for the products to work. When dealing with swirls, you want to try with the least abrasive product and see if the swirls go away. If they don't then you'd want to move up to something stronger.

For light swirl removal you could use 3M's Perfect It II or Meg's #9
For medium swirl removal I like to use Meguiars DACP or 3M FI-II
For heavier swirls you're looking at rubbing compounds

If you want more info about swirl removal and detailing you should check out http://www.autopia.org
Old 01-02-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Re: @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@ (timmy8151)

Take the car to a body shop and ask for a light wet sand. Do not try it yourself even if you think your good at waxing. I ruined the half the hood on my old vette trying to wet sand. I followed all the instuctions from the pro's too. its just to delicate of a process but its the BEST for making your paint look like glass again!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@ (RedTegLS)

wet sanding will give you a smooth dull finish. it wont give you a polish as its not meant to do so.

You basically have two options. as forementioned, you can have the door compounded with an orbital buffer. 2 or 3 rounds with varying pads will make the finish shine. A polish and wax will finish up the job.

Second, you could use the mothers or meguiars 3 stage system which cleans the surface, fills and seals the swirls and wax. This will pretty much hide your minor swirls just fine.

good luck
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM
CALM_AS_A_BOMB

Default Re: @@@@ How to get swirls out of paint @@@@ (IntEGNYC)

this is great info , i will try this anbd post the final results
Old 01-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd find out what the shop did to it. Its sounds like they compounded it but then didn't buff it. If they did nothing to it then it will need to be leveled (wet sanded) with some 1500-2000 then compounded. Then remove swirl marks and then wax. Depending on how deep/bad the swirls are... I would use some 3m Perfect-It swirl mark remover and then use 3m Imperial wax after the swirls are gone. I bought a adjustible speed buffer from harbor freight for 30 bucks which is less that what a compunding and polishing pad combined cost!