Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

what type of plastic is the side mirror molding made from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of plastic is the side mirror molding made from?

the plastic triangle molding part of the side mirror cracked on my 2003 honda accord lx, i wanted to try fixing it by using a 2-part epoxy or some type of glue thats good on plastics, cause the pieces fit together perfectly like a puzzle, so it would look normal as long as the glue holds strong.

i need help identifying what type of plastic the side mirror exterior trim piece is made out of ???, cause then i can look up what is a glue that works with whatever that type of plastic is, otherwise it might be a waste of time if i try to glue it with a glue that does'nt work with that kind of plastic.

i read about different types of automotive plastics and showed a chart with the different types and the abbreviations for each, theres stuff like ABS, PPO, TPO, PA, PP, TPE, etc...,

i looked at the back of the side mirror trim, and it said : SDN LHL HONDA >PA6/GT< but none of those abbreviations look like any of the ones i saw on the chart on the internet ? anyone know how to find out type of plastic it is ? thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: what type of plastic is the side mirror molding made from?

ABS plastic?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what type of plastic is the side mirror molding made from?

thats what i assumed it was, mostly cause thats the most common type of automotive plastic i always hear about,

at first, i wanted to find out the type of plastic, so i could use the right kind of glue cause i was going to glue the broken crack on it back together so i can sell it on ebay as a whole working, useable mirror assembly, it was off my car, after finding someone hit it and broke it, and i got another at a junkyard, but just thought i would try to get some money out of the old one,

but now i decided its not worth doing all that, cause i still probably would'nt get much for it, and i'm just going to put it for sale on ebay "as is", so people would buy it to use the parts on it and stuff instead, and if they want, they can mess with trying to glue the cracked part together.

but i still want to learn more on how to identify what type of plastic is used for different car parts, just cause its something good to know, so you can use the proper glue for repairing those parts. but its hard to make out what the abbreviations or letters/numbers that are listed on the back of parts even mean?