Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Wait for 6 speed tranny in Crosstour?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for 6 speed tranny in Crosstour?

Greetings all,

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a CT EX-L 2 WD and wanted to find out if anyone could share their experience with the shifting on the automatic 5 speed transmission. I've read elsewhere that some observe that it does not want to shift out of low gears quite as smoothly as one might expect. I didn't encounter this behavior during a rather lengthy test drive.

Debating if I should hold out for the rumored 6 speed auto in the 2011 model.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wait for 6 speed tranny in Crosstour?

Originally Posted by edubfromktown
Greetings all,

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a CT EX-L 2 WD and wanted to find out if anyone could share their experience with the shifting on the automatic 5 speed transmission. I've read elsewhere that some observe that it does not want to shift out of low gears quite as smoothly as one might expect. I didn't encounter this behavior during a rather lengthy test drive.

Thanks.
first, if you're going to get a CUV, it's pointless to get a 2wd because for all the money you're spending for an additional 30-40 a month you can get a 4wd which is what God intended the Crosstour to be. Second, having both driven and worked for Honda, and getting the opportunity to drive these every day there is absolutely NO transmission problems...after all it has the CVT which allows for smooth electronically controlled rev-match shifting. Second, because the CT was designed to be a family car there is no intentions as of this posting to ever make it a manual transmission. Unfortunately, with the laziness of current drivers, manual transmissions are in severe decline.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I [...] wanted to find out if anyone could share their experience with the shifting on the automatic 5 speed transmission. I've read elsewhere that some observe that it does not want to shift out of low gears quite as smoothly as one might expect. I didn't encounter this behavior during a rather lengthy test drive.

So are you going to trust what some babbling idiot on the internet is parroting, or are you going to trust in what you actually felt?

Originally Posted by alvlee01
first, if you're going to get a CUV, it's pointless to get a 2wd because for all the money you're spending for an additional 30-40 a month you can get a 4wd which is what God intended the Crosstour to be. Second, having both driven and worked for Honda, and getting the opportunity to drive these every day there is absolutely NO transmission problems...after all it has the CVT which allows for smooth electronically controlled rev-match shifting. Second, because the CT was designed to be a family car there is no intentions as of this posting to ever make it a manual transmission. Unfortunately, with the laziness of current drivers, manual transmissions are in severe decline.

Never post again.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Foreign Symbols

Greetings all,

Thanks.
OP, please ignore some of the rude and ignorant responses. I haven't heard of a six speed auto, but it wouldn't suprise me at all, even Hyundai has had one out for a bit. I think it could very well happen soon. Honda is usually a bit behind on the latest trends or techs, but thats usually because they seem to make it work right and reliable. Even for a honda, it may be best to wait it out for another year anyway. Let some bugs get worked out, and you may just get your 6 speed trans too.

Good luck, keep us informed.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alvlee01
I agree with everything you said but CT doesn't have CVT , has 5 AT similar as other accords .

OP what those people are complaining about is actually feature, grade logic and shift hold will adjust when to upshift according to certain variables . IMO it works very well .

While Acura has 6AT transmissions I think you would have to wait for next gen at least for Honda to put it in there Accord line . That's another few yrs at least .
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Greetings all,

Thanks.
Curious if you bought one or decided to wait.

I could imagine that the six speed automatic could help some with the lower torque situations you'd momentarily experience when moving back and forth with the variable cylinder configurations.

But I can't find anything that says the six speed is going in the Crosstour, even in 2011.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought one... after haggling a great deal on a 2wd, I ended up getting a 4wd with Navi for an even better deal (I didn't want the Navi but got an offer I couldn't refuse). Note: Honda's navigation does not work with XM radio "real time" traffic subscription.

100% satisfied with the purchase thus far (~1500 miles on it). I haven't noticed any odd shifting behavior when going from 3/4/6 cylinders at low or high speeds. Quietest Honda I've ever driven and plenty of power.

Best of all, my 21" frame mountain bike fits inside no prob (have to lower the seatpost a bit but that's it).

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

That's good to hear.

At some point, you'll be glad of navigation. :-)

If the 2010 TL 6-6 had been available without navigation (Tech Package), I'd have got it. But very glad now that I have the excellent navigation and the 440-watt ELS stereo.

The Acura works with weather and traffic, however.

Glad it worked out well for you. Hope you keep us updated.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one... after haggling a great deal on a 2wd, I ended up getting a 4wd with Navi for an even better deal (I didn't want the Navi but got an offer I couldn't refuse). Note: Honda's navigation does not work with XM radio "real time" traffic subscription.

100% satisfied with the purchase thus far (~1500 miles on it). I haven't noticed any odd shifting behavior when going from 3/4/6 cylinders at low or high speeds. Quietest Honda I've ever driven and plenty of power.

Best of all, my 21" frame mountain bike fits inside no prob (have to lower the seatpost a bit but that's it).

Thanks to all for your input.
excellent... I did find that the A pillar hit my head a few times getting in and out, but I like the car a lot