Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Timing belt life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt life?

If you took it to the dealer, you should have an itemized parts list they replaced on your receipt. If they did not replace the tensioner, water pump, and the bearings, you did NOT get a timing belt job done right at the stealership.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hibar
Interesting there sister dealership next door[Nisson] is sitting on at least a dozen 2012 Maximas[33+ sticker] and the salesman said they can't move them.
CVT that's why. The CVT is still from the last gen. IMO, Maxi is a great car. The quality of materials in plastic and leather is almost luxury car standard.

If you ask, I'm sure the dealer will let it go at $28K. Ok, $28.5K. No more than that.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
If you took it to the dealer, you should have an itemized parts list they replaced on your receipt. If they did not replace the tensioner, water pump, and the bearings, you did NOT get a timing belt job done right at the stealership.
My dealer would have been more than happy to replace all those mentioned parts if I wanted to pay for them, these people have been around a long time and I have confidence in there recomendations, I did not see anything in my owners manual that said they had to be replaced at this mileage point, if so thats not a good selling point for Honda. I previously ran a 97 GMC Sonoma V6 215k in 7 years with nothing more in the engine than 2 sets of spark plugs, needless to say I will not buy another vehicle with replaceable timing belts.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your dealer could be right, but, if they are wrong it isn't going to cost them anything. Having to replace a timing belt isn't a big problem, if you can do it in your driveway. If you can't play, you have to pay. Having a timing "chain" is no guarantee that you will not have to change it. I had to replace the timing chain, in my 4cylinder S10, because of the crappy tensioners that don't last.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

105k miles or 7 years
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn

No. i work for the "stealership" and you are completely wrong about this. the tensioner is an up sell if it needs to be replaced. we are not going to sell you something you do not need. please tell me what bearings you are talking about
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hibar
needless to say I will not buy another vehicle with replaceable timing belts.
Chain or belts should not be a factor in your car buying decision. Like what was said, a chain can go bad too. Belts does not make the engine less reliable in any way. Don't let the salesman fool you on this.

If one is coming from Honda or Toyota engines, it's the norm, and expected. And these are some of the most reliable engines out there.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P. Hunter
No. i work for the "stealership" and you are completely wrong about this. the tensioner is an up sell if it needs to be replaced. we are not going to sell you something you do not need. please tell me what bearings you are talking about
Well, that is a shocker to me. 1. That your dealership doesn't replace the "kit", and 2. that you work there and don't know what bearings I'm talking about.

The dealer in MN I called for a replacement quote, called it a "KIT", which included the timing belt, tensioner, tensioner idler with bearing, belt idler with bearing, and water pump. That's a total of 3 bearings (Though the water pump is a sealed unit bearing). I was quoted $1k for that job. I don't have the part numbers, but I'm sure you do if you work there. What would you quote for that job with all those parts?

I found the Aisin timing belt kit (Which is OEM) on-line for $200 shipped, and did the job myself in a day, in which I also replaced the serpentine belt ($25) and put in new anti-freeze ($18).

I would recommend to anyone doing this job, to do the "KIT". The bearings I replaced were starting to whine (As others have experienced) due to a lack of grease in the bearings (Yes, I took them apart and saw this). After replacement, no more whine. Just my experience, and 2 cents worth of advice.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dealer changed mine, 833$ with tax, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, and accessory belt. done in 4 hours. would have been 650$ but charged an additional 150 for timing belt tension since it showed signs of wear and oil leakage.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Different dealerships have different ideas on what the timing belt "kit" should include. The HandAaccessories kit only includes the timing belt, water pump, drive belt, and valve cover gaskets. Why the timing belt kit includes valve cover gaskets? I have no idea, because there is no reason to remove the valve covers to change the timing belt. I did the timing belt job myself, so I replaced all the moving parts. Most people say the tensioners leak, but the one I changed had no indication of a leak. I changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, adjuster pulley, idler pulley, and coolant, but I know most dealerships would not have changed all those parts. I figured since I saved so much labor cost, doing it myself, I would change more parts, just to be sure. I've never heard of the pulleys being called "bearings", but I knew what you were talking about.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the dealership really needs the work, I doubt they will give you a quote including things like pulleys, tensioner, and seals. They will most likely give you a quote on changing the timing belt, and maybe the water pump, and tell you they can, or will, change any other parts that need changing. That low-ball quote would make it more likely they would win the bidding war, if you tell them you are shopping around for estimates.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
I've never heard of the pulleys being called "bearings", but I knew what you were talking about.
Yeah, I probably should have used the term "Pulley", as that is what they really are, even though they DO have a bearing in them. Would have made more sense.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Different dealerships have different ideas on what the timing belt "kit" should include.
Just for future people that read this thread, the "kit" is named "Aisin Timing Belt Kit", and can be found on e-bay, and other sites. "Aisin" is the OEM brand name for the components. One part you remove when changing (Specifically the water pump) says Aisin right on it, so don't think they are aftermarket.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aisin may not be the only OEM parts supplier, for water pumps. Honda gets the so called "OEM" parts from many different companies. Whether or not Aisin is the only water pump supplier, a kit doesn't have to be called "Aisin timing belt kit" to be OEM. I don't think the pulleys, or the belt itself, are made by Aisin.

Last edited by BLKFLSH; 01-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was just advice on a search phrase. It was how I got directed to what I was looking for. The water pump stamping was the same, so I noted it. Everything else looked identical to what I removed.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. Got it. It's a great price, if you want all the parts in that kit. If you are doing the job yourself, it's a great kit, because you have all the parts likely to need replacement. Just saying most dealerships don't change all those parts. They will only change the basic belt, tensioner (maybe) and water pump, and just inspect the rest.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Got it. It's a great price, if you want all the parts in that kit. If you are doing the job yourself, it's a great kit, because you have all the parts likely to need replacement. Just saying most dealerships don't change all those parts. They will only change the basic belt, tensioner (maybe) and water pump, and just inspect the rest.
^^ This, we do not automatically change everything. Based on visual inspections, maintenance history and mileage, we will recommend certain parts, but a timing belt is still just the belt and water pump with inspections of the seals and tensioner(s).
Also, aftermarket vs OEM, there still could be a difference in the parts. Just because they have the same mfg stamping on it, doesn't in any way guarantee that it's an OEM part. It is very common for the mfg to make a part to the OE specs, and another with a little less quality for the aftermarket (price point). Sorry for the thread jack
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To the OP question I would recommend what ever the manufacture says.

I have seen cars go up to 200k miles on the original belt. A lot of times it is not the belt the breaks fault. It is the symptom. Water pump, idler bearing, tensioner etc that caused the belt to break.

So, if you are going to do a timing belt job I would change everything.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I work at a dealer and we only replace the water pump t belt drive belt and we always replace the tensioner because 99.9 percent of them leak or will leak. I've never seen and issues with the tensioner pulley or idler pulley on the oil pump. I always clean and grease the swivel point on the tensioner pulley cuz they have corrosion on the sleeve but every tech is different
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I bought my car, the previous owner replace the t-belt, idler pulley, and tensioner at the dealer because the idler pulley broke. They didn't change the water pump, guess they thought it could last another 100k...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my timing belt done. After calling around I had one dealership give me a price of $1200 and another dealership give me the price of $700. Both included drive belts, water pump, and coolant.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m
I just got my timing belt done. After calling around I had one dealership give me a price of $1200 and another dealership give me the price of $700. Both included drive belts, water pump, and coolant.
It's a different job, on a 4 cylinder engine. Aren't you in the wrong forum, with a 93 Accord?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quite honestly I would not buy a car with a chain simply because we have seen too many failures on the chains and they are a bigger pain in the a** to change than the timing belt ever will...The side covers have a tendency to leak on the chains and if you are changing your oil every 5+K it tends to stretch the chain which over time you will get a VTC code basically telling you that it is not "In Phase" in short means your chain has stretched and you will need to replace the chain, tensioner and guides...which in the long run is higher than the belt ever would be....And as far as the belt changing, we only replace the t belt, waterpump and acc belts, the tensioner gets changed if its leaking because you don't want to do the job twice...I have only replaced the pulleys once because they didn't feel quite right but I have done well over 500+ t belt jobs and rarely if ever replace the pulleys...Ive worked at the "Stealership" for over 14 years..
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At my dealership we only replace Tbelt, drive belt, and tensioner on the first Tbelt job- 105k But at 210 we replace the waterpump and seals. I have changed probably 1000 timing belts in my time and have only seen 1 pulley have a real problem. It was on a cb7 that had a hack job tbelt service with a WAY overtightened tbelt.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a different job, on a 4 cylinder engine. Aren't you in the wrong forum, with a 93 Accord?
Yea.... I own a 93 so I can't post in any other forum but Accords of my model year?

The fact is that I got two very much different prices from two Honda dealerships that offered the same job. The moral of the story is, shop around.

Quick Reply: Timing belt life?