Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Pulsating Brake Pedal - 03 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:03 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsating Brake Pedal - 03 Accord

When I press the brake pedal on my Accord, right at the first part of the braking, there's a short vibration/pulsation at the top of the pedal. It's usually not noticeable unless it's slower braking. If you push the pedal in stronger and faster, you cannot really notice it. Here's the backstory:

-I had problems with the TCS (traction control system) light coming on and I took it back to the dealership to get it fixed.
-They put in a lamp switch, but when they did that, they noticed there was a problem with the ABS.
-They put in a new ABS Module (very expensive, but thankfully under warranty!).
-Once the Module was put in, I noticed that my brakes were not the same. There was a pulsating of the pedal right as the brake is first engaged, (and no other sounds in the tires that I can tell) and the pedal was "mushy" and it had to be pressed a lot further to come to a complete stop.
-The dealership I bought it from, no one seems to hear/feel what I'm talking about. (go figure)
-I took it to a Honda dealership and immediately they knew what was wrong with it. They said that, quote: "The pushrod is rubbing up against the master cylinder. The master cylinder needs to be replaced in order to solve the problem."
-The dealership I bought it from does not think this is the case (however, they are not Honda experts) and they decide to "bleed the brakes"
-After bleeding the brakes, my brakes are back to how they were, not mushy anymore, however there is still the pulsating pedal.
-The mechanic test drove the car with me, and says he finally can feel the pulsation I am talking about, but is blaming it on the fact that I am tapping the brake and not pressing it hard enough.
-But of course, it wasn't doing that before... **frustrated**

Now what?? Any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pulsating Brake Pedal - 03 Accord

I would try getting the rotors cut or even new rotors....what happens is after a long period of heating and cooling down they tend to get warped or wavey. Therefore, when you push the pedal the warped rotor will move the piston in the caliper back and forth allowing you to feel the motion through the pedal.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
New User

Do you think that it's only coincidence that this started happening only after the ABS module was replaced? Or maybe with everything else going on with the car, it was hiding the evidence of the pulsation all along.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would start with either resurfacing the rotors or just replace them all together, their cheap enough. Start low end before you dump unwanted money into a problem that maybe easily solved.