Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Odd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd electrical problem

So here's a good one. Last night, the power door locks on our '03 Accord stopped working, both from the door switches and the key remote. The dome light and turn signals also stopped working. I can turn the dome light on and off with the switch on the light, and the two small lights on the front door panels work fine. The turn signals are completely out, but the hazard flashers work. Headlights and running lights are ok.

I didn't find any blown fuses. The car has 99,400 miles on it, have never had problems with any of those items before.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else to check? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Modified by jetmex at 9:09 AM 8/8/2008
Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Odd electrical problem (jetmex)

Check the Fuse circuits again... use a meter to do so as many fuses burn near the ends and ARE NOT bad based solely on visual inspection. Also, check all the lights for bad filaments
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MSchu, thanks for the info. I checked the fuses again with a meter last night, they're good. Lamps are good too..the hazard lights work. It's the turn signals that bother me most right now. I was thinking that the flasher had gone bad, but they don't come on at all. All the problems seem to be related, but I can't figure out what the power locks have to do with the turn signals.....

There are dedicated fuses for the headlights and hazard lights, but none for the running lights or turn signals that I can find, unless I'm missing something.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 AM
My Name is Nobody

I am not as familiar with the 03 accords... Perhaps one of our service techs will chime in here. i will ask around to
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those who are interested:

The problem turned out to be a bad MICM (multiplex integrated control module), which basically controls all the electronic functions of the car not having to do with powertrain or transmission. It's located in the driver's kick panel, and the cabin fusebox is part of this module. It contains all the fuses and relays to run stuff like interior lighting, power locks and windows, and for some odd reason, the turn signals. The hazard flashers are on their own completely separate circuit independent of this unit.

As usual, it's a Honda only part and cost about $180. I did take the car to a shop. If you didn't know that such a device existed, you could spend a long time shooting wiring and relays trying to figure out what was wrong if you had a failure in that module.

I'm told this module is installed on late model Accords, Civics and Acuras.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Actually, we call it the MICU. It's part of the multiplex. It's been around for awhile now (1998 Accord and earlier Acuras?). It's supposed to reduce wiring and simplify diagnosis. It does just the opposite.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Odd electrical problem (cjo_28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetmex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For those who are interested:

The problem turned out to be a bad MICM (multiplex integrated control module), which basically controls all the electronic functions of the car not having to do with powertrain or transmission. It's located in the driver's kick panel, and the cabin fusebox is part of this module. It contains all the fuses and relays to run stuff like interior lighting, power locks and windows, and for some odd reason, the turn signals. The hazard flashers are on their own completely separate circuit independent of this unit.

As usual, it's a Honda only part and cost about $180. I did take the car to a shop. If you didn't know that such a device existed, you could spend a long time shooting wiring and relays trying to figure out what was wrong if you had a failure in that module.

I'm told this module is installed on late model Accords, Civics and Acuras.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was something we saw every couple of months a few years back. Quite often it was caused by an aftermarket alarm being piggybacked into the factory system but we did see them just randomly go bad once in a while.

And for posting your fix. So few people come back and finish a thread like that.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd electrical problem (someone else)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someone else &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And for posting your fix. So few people come back and finish a thread like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're welcome.

This one was odd enough to get me scratching my head, since I could not for the life of me figure out how the door locks and turn signals could be related. No aftermarket alarm on my car, so it was just a random failure.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
My Name is Nobody

Good for you... Awesome
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd electrical problem (MSchu)

have you got it repaired? i remeber when i worked at honda cars would come in for that. i remember the cars would go into sleep mode to conserve battery when the car would not be turned on for a certain amount of time.

to remove it from sleep mode was to turn the wipers on int for a min. not too sure if thats the procedure. not too sure if its the problem but worth a try..its free! GL.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Odd electrical problem (K20DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you got it repaired? i remeber when i worked at honda cars would come in for that. i remember the cars would go into sleep mode to conserve battery when the car would not be turned on for a certain amount of time.

to remove it from sleep mode was to turn the wipers on int for a min. not too sure if thats the procedure. not too sure if its the problem but worth a try..its free! GL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was on 6th gen LXs only. And only a couple years IIRC. The windows and door locks would stop working and to wake it up you turned the wipers to mid speed on intermittent and cycled the door locks with the door closed.

I haven't seen one of those forever.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will this be true on a 92 integra gsr also? I also have the same problem.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someone else &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That was on 6th gen LXs only. And only a couple years IIRC. The windows and door locks would stop working and to wake it up you turned the wipers to mid speed on intermittent and cycled the door locks with the door closed.

I haven't seen one of those forever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your prob right. havnt wrenched on hondas at a dealership in 5 years. now that i think about it it was the 6th gen.. thanks for the correction!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd electrical problem (K20DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you got it repaired?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it's fixed. Don't know about the sleep mode on my car, never had that happen. It had been driven the day it broke.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd electrical problem

Question

i have a 2004 accord and its having power lock problems.... first one power lock stopped responding on passenger door, only works manually. Then all the door locks stopped working from the remote, but the power door lock button on the interior still works 3 of the 4 locks.

This started after a collision repair was performed on the passenger side door.

It sounds to me like two different problems to me but do you guys think it could be this Multiplex control unit? What else could be causing my problems?

I will take the door panels off to inspect for loose wires but still, all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having a very wierd problem a couple years ago (03 V6). When I would start the car the P (park) light in the dash would not light up. When ever this would occur, the AC would not work (it would blow, but not cold air). I have the service manual, so I went through the MICM self diagnosis (very confusing for a novice like me). Shorted the connector on the MICM, and went through the codes given on the odometer read-out. The first thing it said to check is the battery. Took the car to Autozone, they tested the battery, and told me it was very weak. Bought a $45 battery from Sam's club, and the problem has not returned in 2 years now. There were no other symptoms. The car didn't crank as fast as it did when it was new, but it started fine. I found it strange that the battery had enough power to start the car, but weak enough to cause communication problems with the MICM. I have a feeling the $114 I paid for the service manual was saved when I used it to find the problem. Wonder what the dealership would have charged me?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a problem with my accord 06.
The remote on the key unlocks the driver door but when you press a 2nd time, it does not unlock the passenger and rear doors - instead i hear a clicking sound as if they are trying to unlock.
Using the key in the key cylinder produces same results (1st turn unlocks driver door but 2nd turn does not unlock the remaining doors). I cannot use the key to wind down the windows as a result.
However, the door panel master switch inside the car, locks and unlocks all the doors.
Also, the four doors lock on their own when i open and close the driver door with the engine running.
I think this problem may have to do with the MICU or the door multiplexer unit. I have not done a diagnostic on the car since the MIL is not on.

can anyone help me with ideas/explanations so i can fix the problem? Thanks in advance