Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Mileage after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage after timing belt change

About a week ago I changed the timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, timing belt tensioner, radiator hoses, and serpentine belt on my 2003 V6 Accord. All parts are OEM... It was my first time, and I did a poor job of installing the crankshaft seal. I used a screwdriver to push it in not realizing that it would leak. I drove the car to work and back the next day (10 miles each way) and noticed that it was leaking quite a bit of oil. In the end, I had lost about 3 to 3.5 quarts out of 5. Obviously this isn't good, but the engine never got hot, made noise, etc. I took everything apart again and learned how to install the seals properly (replaced all 3 with a 2nd set of new seals). After this ordeal, my wife tested the gas mileage, and it was only 21 mpg for the tank (probably burned half of the tank after the maintenance). Normally, we get upwards of 24-25 in town, so it's definitely low. We just filled up and will test it again in a week or so, but I'm worried that something related to my mishap could be affecting the mileage. Ideas???

For what it's worth... I run only Castrol 5-20 synthetic in the car...

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Mileage after timing belt change

It's hard to say, going on the mileage for only one fill up. Does the engine sound different? Or has the performance changed? If not, I think you will be OK. By the time the engine starts making noise from lack of oil, it's too late. Hopefully, there was still enough oil circulating through the engine that you didn't hurt a thing. If the oil light didn't come on, and you kept driving with the light on, I think you dodged the big one.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am planning to tackle the timing belt job myself, when the time comes (03 V6). Other than the seals, how difficult was it? Were the seals leaking, before you changed them. I doubt I will change the seals, if they are OK.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its any help my brother had the same problem with his Jetta. The timing was off by a few degree's. He also had a lack of power. But mostly he was getting horrible mileage.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM

No warning lights ever came on, the engine sounds the same as before, and it never got hot. I was meticulous about being sure the crankshaft and camshafts all lined up on the exact cogs as before too. I drove it a short distance on purpose since this was my first time to change a tb. Honestly, it's not that bad after the 1st time. That is... I could probably do the whole job in 5 hours this time around whereas it took well over double that the first time. I spent 3 hours trying to get the crankshaft bolt off (no impact wrench), and then a mechanic buddy told me over the phone that you can just put your 19mm wrench on there, set it against the frame, and pop the starter quickly to break it free. That turns 3 hours into 5 minutes the second time around... What really amazed me is that the tb, water pump, radiator hoses, and even the serpentine belt all looked like they could easily go to 200,000 miles. At 110,000, they all looked like new still. Blew me away...
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you place the 19mm wrench when you cranked it over
Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM

I actually used the tire tool that comes with the car. Angled it about 30 degrees down to the right against the thick piece of iron between the frame and wheel.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in fronyt of the wheel or behind it
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would imagine you should be fine. YOu say your 100% its dead on time. Usually you would notice a tooth off during the test drive. We dont replace those seals at my dealership in the timing belt combo but always inspect them have never seen any leakers.

You would be sick if you knew how fast honda techs can do those tbelts.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 AM

HONDAPARTSMANMIKE,
It was behind the wheel.

spoonfedcrx,
I debated doing the seals as it's never leaked a drop of oil. I'm sure it would have been tons easier to pay for the work (especially since it's been 105 degrees in TX lately), but I saved myself approx. $700. The dealer here wanted about $900 for the 90,000 mile maintenance, and I bought all of my materials for about $350. I additionally drained/filled the radiator completely which I don't believe they were going to do.

Plus... I learned a lot. I just hope it was a $2,500 or $3,000 lesson!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by txfl25
I additionally drained/filled the radiator completely which I don't believe they were going to do.

if they were gonna change the water pump, they wouldve had no choice but to do the coolant.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Correct... But I probably drained another whole gallon by opening up the spout at the bottom of the radiator. I did that first though, so maybe 2 gallons would've spilled out when I changed the water pump had I not drained the radiator first. I don't know...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 AM

There could be more to this. The engine could have added friction now from being that low on oil and it takes more effort to get it to spin. You would probably notice a small power difference maybe. I would change oil and check for any debris maybe by straining it. You could also cut open the filter and check it too. If no debris it is probably fine. However, the oil pump had to work much harder being that low on oil and maybe weakened.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HONDAPARTSMANMIKE
where did you place the 19mm wrench when you cranked it over
Using the starter to break the bolt loose doesnt always work, and you can cause harm/damage to yourself or your vehicle doing it this way. Stay away from "back-yard"mechanics...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:23 PM

What's the best way to break the crankshaft bolt free then? I couldn't figure out a good way to keep pulley in place while I turned it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the best way to break the crankshaft bolt free then? I couldn't figure out a good way to keep pulley in place while I turned it.
With the proper tool.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a crank pulley tool that retails for about 40 bucks. It is used to hold the pulley in place while breaking the bolt loose.
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...pful_tips.html
Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Wife just checked mileage after 130 or so miles of driving... 19.5. It worries me because we're normally in the mid 20s in town.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM

So... I've been thinking about this. If I had done damage to the pistons or rings, shouldn't I be burning oil? I'm not. I did notice however, that the dipstick shows my oil level to be just a little over the max marking. Not much... Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of the size of the area between min and max on the dipstick. I don't know how much extra oil this indicates, but could a little bit too much oil cause a drop in gas mileage? I plan to drive drain off this little bit of extra oil and test another tank. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About a week ago I changed the timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, timing belt tensioner, radiator hoses, and serpentine belt on my 2003 V6 Accord. All parts are OEM... It was my first time, and I did a poor job of installing the crankshaft seal. I used a screwdriver to push it in not realizing that it would leak. I drove the car to work and back the next day (10 miles each way) and noticed that it was leaking quite a bit of oil. In the end, I had lost about 3 to 3.5 quarts out of 5. Obviously this isn't good, but the engine never got hot, made noise, etc. I took everything apart again and learned how to install the seals properly (replaced all 3 with a 2nd set of new seals). After this ordeal, my wife tested the gas mileage, and it was only 21 mpg for the tank (probably burned half of the tank after the maintenance). Normally, we get upwards of 24-25 in town, so it's definitely low. We just filled up and will test it again in a week or so, but I'm worried that something related to my mishap could be affecting the mileage. Ideas???

For what it's worth... I run only Castrol 5-20 synthetic in the car...

Thanks in advance for any info.
Doesn't Honda recommend to use 5w-30 oil?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah like back in the 90's
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
New User

shii. you might have to let the motor break back in or get use to running with the right amount of oil consistently