Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

front end torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front end torque specs

posting this here because this forum has more traffic than the tsx forum.

2008 tsx with 111k miles - bearing sound when driving straight at 40+ mph. sound goes away when i shift the weight to the left. sound returns once car levels out. right rear bearing was bad and replaced. 6 months later the sound returned but this time i felt some slop in the steering. once again the noise is gone when i shift the weight to the left. bearings seemed ok after inspection. front bearing was noisy after the axle and caliper was removed and the bearing was isolated. replaced the front bearing today. its a little quieter now but still has the same issue.

unable to find the helms page with torque specs. at 134 ft lbs now but a couple posts said 180 ft lbs. think another 46 lbs of torque will quiet the bearing?

anyone know the correct torque spec for the axle nut?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 03:55 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: front end torque specs

no... another 46lbs of torque after 180ft lbs WOULD NOT quite the bearing down... not even sure those figures are really correct.

depending on where you live, the bearing will wear much faster based on environmental conditions.

FYI... it's nearly impossible to check a bearing visually. I mean you can see if its falling apart, but you can not tell if its out of specification just by looking at it and it is NOT falling apart. bearings get a lot of abuse and are subject to a lot of stresses. checking bearing run out with a dial indicator to the ten thousandth is the best way.

of course, these bearings are not that expensive... you can just go ahead and replace it at the first sign of sound or trouble and have peace of mind... because you dont want one exploding on you.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

axle nut is currently torqued at 134 lbs. thats spec on civics and integras per helms. 180 nm is the metric equivalent. most likely, thats where the confusion began. it would be nice know the tsx torque specs for axle nut and ball joints.

car spent 4 years in florida and 2 years in arizona. im sure those areas are not bearing friendly. its seen plenty of water and dirt.

in the civic its obvious which bearing it is. Fails the 12 and 6 oclock play test every time. exhaust is loud so takes a while to realize theres a bearing issue.

tsx is different. i catch the problem as soon as the noise develops. this car doesnt fail the 12 and 6 oclock test. so then i take it apart and rotate the bearing manually. if it sounds rough i order a replacement. they're replaced at the first sign of trouble like u said but this time my problems not fixed and i feel confident the issues on the passenger side.

now i have to hunt for the problem. ill check the runout on all corners like u suggested and go from there. thx
Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fyi, I ordered a Haynes manual primarily for the sake of having easy, quick access to the torque specs for my '04 Accord. If it turned out useless in every other way, I still would have been happy just to have all those specs in one place and not have to search the web every time I wanted to figure out the torque spec for some random component I hardly ever touch.

Regarding your actual problem, you're on the right track.