Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Engine problem after AEM cold air intake on 08 Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem after AEM cold air intake on 08 Accord Coupe

There wasn't a puddle expect on a bright sunny day but when I was driving by some place I happen to go over a puddle which made a good amount of splash.
After that, my car would rattle everytime I press the gas.
So I stopped and took look. The exhaust sounded like it was 20s motor, and the motor itself was clinking.
So I let the car run, thinking it will dry out. But I was worried that I turned it off with the hood opened.
Then after like 10 minutes I turned the car back on and it seemed to be fine.
I took it to the mechanic and he stepped on the gas padal and such but he said it seems fine.
However, I'm still worried and if I could like use some kind of plastic to wrap near by filter and make it semi waterproof? Any suggestion on what happened to my engine and that it will be okay?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine problem after AEM cold air intake on 08 Accord Coupe

It's not good if water gets in, as too much water can hydro-lock your motor (no warranty coverage).

AEM makes an air bypass valve for this.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Same thing happened with my car. That valve does the trick. My cars a DD, so its always going through then rain. Great invention
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just use duck tape around your filter so nothing can get in it, make sure its air tight....no dont, but you would need to hit a huge puddle to actually suck up enough water to hydrolock, you almost need to submerge the filter and have your foot into the throttle pretty hard to hydrolock the engine.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2cams
just use duck tape around your filter so nothing can get in it, make sure its air tight....no dont, but you would need to hit a huge puddle to actually suck up enough water to hydrolock, you almost need to submerge the filter and have your foot into the throttle pretty hard to hydrolock the engine.
ummm no.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple of suggestions. Install a air bypass valve and the problem will most likely go away. Another suggestion would be to get what is called a outerwear for the filter helps repel water off of the filter and you wouldnt have to install a bypass valve if it is not a huge puddle. Did you remove the inner fender liner? If you did put it back on. You may also want to check the oil to make sure you didnt get any water mixed in with your oil. If you pull the cap off the valve cover look for a milky substance. Either way change your oil just to be safe. Most likely it just got one of the cylinders wet. Next time pull the plugs, dry them off and crank over the motor a few times with the plugs out also injectors unplug to dry out the cylinders. Plug everything back in and you should be good to go.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

So you think it may have locked one cylinder but now since it's running not too much water has gotten in as I think right?
When you said bypass valve, I guess I have to buy that separately through AEM right? It I guess doesn't come with it?
Sorry for all these questions, better careful now than sorry later u kno?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yes Bypass Valve is something separate that they made to help cars from gettin water into their engine due to this very reason of puddles and rain
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rtype16
A couple of suggestions. Install a air bypass valve and the problem will most likely go away. Another suggestion would be to get what is called a outerwear for the filter helps repel water off of the filter and you wouldnt have to install a bypass valve if it is not a huge puddle. Did you remove the inner fender liner? If you did put it back on. You may also want to check the oil to make sure you didnt get any water mixed in with your oil. If you pull the cap off the valve cover look for a milky substance. Either way change your oil just to be safe. Most likely it just got one of the cylinders wet. Next time pull the plugs, dry them off and crank over the motor a few times with the plugs out also injectors unplug to dry out the cylinders. Plug everything back in and you should be good to go.
Dang cylinder being a little wet I didn't think it would rattle the whole engine!
I will change the oil to make sure there aren't any water still mixed with it.
This sucks. I wish there's like water proof bumper/wells so that nobody has to go through it.
When you say check the valve, which valve you talking of?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to buy the bypass valve. Also a little water won't really hurt the motor. It will basically just steam clean the engine. However in your case it was probably not enough to damage the motor if you dont hear it knocking anymore. The water most likely got into the cylinder and wet the spark plug which would cause it not to fire. So you would basically have a 3 cylinder or less if more than one got wet. This would be a pretty weird vibration from the motor and it would sound... well like a subaru haha. Install the bypass valve and you should be good.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

You have to buy the bypass valve. Also a little water won't really hurt the motor. It will basically just steam clean the engine. However in your case it was probably not enough to damage the motor if you dont hear it knocking anymore. The water most likely got into the cylinder and wet the spark plug which would cause it not to fire. So you would basically have a 3 cylinder or less if more than one got wet. This would be a pretty weird vibration from the motor and it would sound... well like a subaru haha. Install the bypass valve and you should be good.
Thank you so much for your clarification and help!
I was just dead worried if my car will be okay and such.
I don't hear any vibration and thank God for that.
I will get that bypass valve and hoping it will be resolved!
Are you a professional mechanic or performance shop owner?
You seem to know a lot! ^^
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 PM

I know it's been awhile since the last post, but this time I don't know if it's the aftermath effect of the incidence, but the RPM seems to be very SLIGHTLY going from let's say 900-1000RPM while in IDLE. Do you think it's the MAF sensor that got screwed in the incidence?Please let me know!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely not since the motor probably has some internal damage the first signs of a bent rod and lower then normal combustion burn the pcm is trying to correct the power loss in the cylinder. had a tl with the same issue and first the idle was erratic and we did a pcm update and was good for about 3 weeks and them BAMM NHRA style rod thru the block and a/c compressor and the back of the block also.
is their still a noise in the engine ?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow you did a dbl post for the same problem. only this thread is much nicer lol.
your idle is par for the course my friend keep driving it or have it looked at before the whole engine is not salvageable.
is this a 4 or 6 cylinder ?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by dtapia
wow you did a dbl post for the same problem. only this thread is much nicer lol.
your idle is par for the course my friend keep driving it or have it looked at before the whole engine is not salvageable.
is this a 4 or 6 cylinder ?
it's a 6 cylinder and some people say it's MAF sensor?
do you think it's really a bent rod?
or is it just damaged MAF sensor?
So you think it's par for the course?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything is possible but if a sensor failed it would most likely set a fault in values and the cel will come on.
honda engineering had me remove the heads and looks for a second combustion rings on the cylinder which is caused from a bent rod and will create a new burn patten. now i bought the new device so i can see into the cylinders and actually see the new burn marks.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the reason I am not going to add any intakes on my 09 Accord Sedan, Its just to dangerous for being a new car that only has 4k on the clock..... IM NOT RISKING it, plus my v6 has more then 250 HP, enough for a daily honda.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by baller862
this is the reason I am not going to add any intakes on my 09 Accord Sedan, Its just to dangerous for being a new car that only has 4k on the clock..... IM NOT RISKING it, plus my v6 has more then 250 HP, enough for a daily honda.
very smart thinking.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dtapia
very smart thinking.
yes sir.