Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE PLEASE READ

This is my first post on HT. I am here to learn. I am not new to Hondas but you can always learn.
So I just got this 2006 accord 6speed two days ago. Which is my second i had a 2004 before.

My problem is one of a kind. I searched here and have not seen anything.
When I drive at night with the headlights on, the headlight indicator on the dash (the green one that tells you your lights are on) it goes on and off when I hit bumps. But not only when I hit a bump. But the real problem is that when it is off the turn signals dont work. But if i use the hazard button the lights work on gauge and outside car.The clock above the nav goes bright to dim. The gauge lights are going from day to night brightness on their own. The DRL light goes on and off when it wants with the lights off during the day. seems like bumps affect it. But just driving it seems to be doing it. The high beam light seems to be on and off with the rest but very dim.Something is loose? Wires touching when I hit a bump? I'm not sure
engine runs good I'm at 100k
I checked the battery and alternator everything seems fine off and running. Holds at 14.1 I believe. Battery made 4/2012 so it's a little old.
It came with an HID kit that I thought was the culprit but I went back to stock set up and the problem continues.
It seems like the car is losing signal that the lights are on. Like it doesn't know. but the lights always stay on. There is a viper alarm installed which is not hooked up (pulled fuse)
Alarms are wired to the lights right? I've never seen how they install one sorry.
A couple of times I got in I had To enter radio and nav code. That seems to have stopped for now.

Any ideas on where to look? What to look for? Could this be a relay issue?
IS MY CAR SAFE TO DRIVE? I AM WORRIED. It's really bugging out.
Any info you need please ask . I know that was a lot of scattered info.. I'm just very nervous.
My 04 burned down from faulty HID fog lights so I am not thrilled I am having electrical problems. Especially in the headlight area. The only thing that was wrong on the test drive was the clock and the dash lights were going slightly dim. And the guy said it had a bad alternator. and it acted like a bad alt. Could that have something to do with it? I checked the wire on the alt and it was tight. Open to any ideas. I even did the nasty pull your positive and it didn't kill the engine.
something with the headlights

Last edited by sLowEKfowdow; 04-01-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE PLEASE READ

I will make a video now and post link
Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Is this a coupe or sedan? I am guessing a coupe; but, want to confirm.

Also, what trim level?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
Is this a coupe or sedan? I am guessing a coupe; but, want to confirm.

Also, what trim level?

It is a v6 ex-l coupe with navigation

Last edited by sLowEKfowdow; 04-01-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by checking for loose connectors at both the under-hood and under-dash fuse/relay boxes and the ECM/PCM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lazlong
Start by checking for loose connectors at both the under-hood and under-dash fuse/relay boxes and the ECM/PCM.
Will do. Also side note- I realized on my way to work it doesn't do it so bad on the freeway. Also indicator/signals will go on and off just sitting at a red light. Don't know if that helps.
but will be checking connections and all fuses.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Global Moderator

Issues sounds like it may possibly be due one or more of the following:

• faulty wiring of the Viper alarm wires into lighting circuits causing an intermittent short
• Issue with combination light switch
• Wiring from or to light switch
• Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU); which is integrated into driver’s under-dash fuse/relay box. (If faulty, the whole under-dash fuse/relay box is replaced.)
• Wiring issue in engine compartment due to previously installed aftermarket HIDs

The combination light switch for the headlights and turn signals use the same single Lt Grn wire (B-CAN communications wire)to communicate with the MICU.

• For headlights: The MICU will then ground headlight relays to operate the necessary headlights.
• For turn signals: The MICU will then send signals through the turn signal/hazard relay to operate the turn signals.

1. For the coupe, the ground wire to the combination light switch is located under the driver's seat. Take a look at the condition of the ground wires attached to the ground bolt there. Also make sure ground bolt is tight, etc.

2. If communications was lost between multiplex system components (e.g., loose or intermittent open (break) in the B-CAN (body controller area network) communication wires), DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) can set. These DTCs may not turn on any kind of warning indicator, but they’re stored until they get cleared. You may want to go to a part store like O'Reilly, etc. to get them to read if there are any stored trouble code(s). In states other than California, they usually will read the codes for no charge.

Even without a DTC stored, there can still be an issue with other wiring though.

3. You can also remove the steering wheel plastic covers to examine the wires and connectors there.

Last edited by tech8; 04-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have aftermarket electrical **** that sounds like it's poorly installed prior to you purchasing the vehicle and have electrical problems.

I'd rip out the Viper system entirely and rip out any modified headlight harnesses for the **** HIDs. I'm banking on the Viper alarm having a poor connection somewhere causing the problems.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I second the combination switch, or ground wire problems. Bump the steering column near the combination switch, and jiggle the ground wires with the lights on, to see if the lights blink.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to check everything that you guys have said very good info and very much appreciated! While I check here's a video from last night of the shenanigans

https://youtu.be/uiy83unmA60
Old 04-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely check or remove that alarm wiring. Been there done that.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried a new combo switch because it was cheap and in stock so I got it on the way home. Nothing changed. Problem continues...alarm coming out now.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Global Moderator

Did you check the ground wires and bolt under the driver's seat?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
Did you check the ground wires and bolt under the driver's seat?
Checking ground under seat now.
Just about done with the alarm removal.. that thing was rough... not to take out but I seen a few wires that were either exposed or housing was cut up on that so it's gotta go too. I'm no alarm expert at all but that was a very poor install. If the problem lies in the alarm or not glad I seen that and took it out.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I took all this out of the car.
-Viper alarm
-video switcher for navigation screen
-dvd player
-all LED interior lights (very cheap quality)
-aux adapter (kinda want that back already)
-HID kit
This guy tapped into the hazard light button for signal for not only a amp that is no longer in the car but to the video switcher too.. man this thing was a serious rat nest. Returned it back to "stock" left no modifications in and now my car acts normal again.
But thank you for all the help. I know know a lot more about my car now. I know it is safe again. And that makes me a happy camper haha
Old 04-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are going to wire electrical stuff into your car please take your time and do it right. If something you wire looks like this you did it wrong haha.