Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Cost replace engine plus labor estimate

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost replace engine plus labor estimate

My valves inside the engine are no good and smoke is coming out the tail pipe. Mechanic quoted me $3000 to keep current engine and fix the valves inside. But he hasn’t quoted me about a used low mileage engine plus labor yet. I rebuilt the transmission August 2017 cost was $2600. Is my baby worth fixing and keeping or just go forward in debt and buy another vehicle. 2004 Honda Accord EX V6. I was fixing it for my daughter to have in college.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Cost replace engine plus labor estimate

Originally Posted by Pauline Flores
My valves inside the engine are no good and smoke is coming out the tail pipe. Mechanic quoted me $3000 to keep current engine and fix the valves inside. But he hasn’t quoted me about a used low mileage engine plus labor yet. I rebuilt the transmission August 2017 cost was $2600. Is my baby worth fixing and keeping or just go forward in debt and buy another vehicle. 2004 Honda Accord EX V6. I was fixing it for my daughter to have in college.
If the vehicle is aesthetically in good shape,Id repair it. The biggest issue with that year Accord is the transmission,which you already addressed. Assuming the rebuild was quality, it should last at least another 10 years.

I dont know why some of those engines valve guide seals go bad,but they do. Its not very common,but Ive seen it enough times to recognize it.

You can spend 3k now and it will likely last your daughter through college. Or you can spend 25+k for a replacement Accord and have payments while she in college.....
Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Trial User

What is the cause for those valves to go bad? Do you know if it’s cheaper to just rebuild the current engine valves or replace the whole engine itself? The car is all good body interior leather all controls work except horn, cruise control , and volume stereo changer on wheel column. Normal wear and tear. Currently looking at buying a 2001 Lexus RX 300 for $7999 if that’s worth getting..............one owner.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

What is the cause for those valves to go bad?

Its not the valves themselves,but rather the valve guides and seals. They simply wear out.

Do you know if it’s cheaper to just rebuild the current engine valves or replace the whole engine itself?
Usually ,replacing the entire engine is cheaper because it requires fewer new parts and a much lower skill set to get it done. DIYers swap out engines all the time. Problem is you dont know what youre getting with a used engine. If you have over 150k on your current engine,Id consider a swap otherwise,Id just have the heads rebuilt.

......all controls work except horn, cruise control , and volume stereo changer on wheel column.
Sounds like the clockspring has failed......

Currently looking at buying a 2001 Lexus RX 300 for $7999 if that’s worth getting..............one owner.
They also have transmission issues,and various electronic failures at that age. IMO $8000 is steep for a 17 year old vehicle like that....
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What is the cause for those valves to go bad? Do you know if it’s cheaper to just rebuild the current engine valves or replace the whole engine itself?
Cheap oil. Oil lubes everything in the engine. Ur car is no different from the next guy who has zero problems. Toyota is having similar issues with their corollas/matrix and celicas. "But those arent high performance engines" blah blah. U use conventional oil ur engine WILL sludge. Just like if u dont change Honda trans fluid for 100k mi it will fail. Hope this info is useful.