Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Brakes making a subtle noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes making a subtle noise

I've got a 2005 Accord LX and just replaced my front pads because I've been hearing this subtle noise. The only way to describe the sound is to compare to the sound you hear when the little "metal thingy" on the pads starts to touch the rotor ... as to warn you your pads a low. It's very, very subtle, that I can only hear from inside the car and with the radio and air off. And I can only hear it while braking AND just a few seconds before the car comes to a complete stop. It's a "pulsating" sound also, like: "**** - **** - ****".

But again, very, very subtle.

So I inspected the front pads only to find that they were only 50% worn. I actually also had the rotors turned while I was at it (due to some vibration I had been feeling also), so I went ahead and put on new OEM pads.

Anyway, I went ahead scoured the caliper assembly with brake cleaner and used ample caliper grease/moly on the pins and shims.

But when everything was back on ... I still have the darn noise (however subtle it is). It's so subtle that I can really tell if it's coming from the front or rear ... but my bet is on the front, but can't be sure now since I thought the work I just did should have fixed whatever was causing the noise.

Could it be coming from the brake drums/shoe? Do shoes have the same "metal thingy" that warns you you shoes are low?

Any suggestion where else it could be coming from?

It is subtle. So am I just being overly sensitive??
Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Brakes making a subtle noise (dbbyleo)

Are you having any issues with your tires/suspension? I assume your tire pressure is correct and you don't need an alignment?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brakes making a subtle noise (GyrlSpeedRT)

it could be a couple things OP... you could have a small object such as a rock or debris between your pad and surface... you could have very hard pad material... or you may indeed near/at the warning marker. I take it you check for all these things?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No issues I know about with my tires or suspension. I just checked my tires and they were slightly on the high side and brought them back to manuf. suggested pressure. No alignment needed ... car drives staright as an arrow.

Like I said, I just replaced the pads, scoured the caliper, turned the rotor ... and the noise is till there. The pad are OEM which are ceramic ... so I don't think the ywould be "too" hard of a material. I thought that were warming markers, but after installing new pads, the noise persists.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (dbbyleo)

Sound normal then... just friction occurring more than likely
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM

Wat type of rotors are they? El cheapos or other? How long have you had them since they've been turned? One more thing, I'm sure you seated the brakes properly right?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rotors are the original OEM. Like I said, I just turned them and this is the first time they've been turned ... and the same noise persists. I'm sure the pads are seated correctly ... the noise was there before and after I had changed out the pads.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Brakes making a subtle noise (dbbyleo)

i've had this problem in my '04 accord too. at first i thought it was the brakes, like they were worn out. but when i checked them, they were still fine. i heard the noise coming from the front right side. but anyway, straight to the point. i would suggest that you clean the brakes and the rotors, both front and back. i have an lx model so the back are drums. for the back, just take your wheels off and kinda hammer the drum cover to pop it out. then just grab a paint brush or any brush with soft bristles to clean it. make sure that you dont inhale any brake dust! and when youre putting the drum cover back on, make sure that you dont align the small holes on the drum cover to the small holes on the brake assembly. the two small holes are used to drive screws in and separate the drum brake assembly in case they rust and shut together. i hope this helps a bit. the noise is gone now in my car.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah... I'm suspecting the drums is where the noise is coming from. I'll definitely be checking them out... inspecting and cleaning.

Why use brush and not just brake cleaner. Shouldn't I go ahead and remove the drum and spray inside with brake cleaner while I'm checking the shoes?