Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Brakes already done at 22k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes already done at 22k?

Im getting squeeling noise from my driver side front wheel. The noise happens when I hit bumps, vibrations or even turning. I havent had time to pull the wheel. How possible is it that the pads are done at 22k. The noise has been continuous for the past 4 days. This is an 08 Accord v6
Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes already done at 22k? (Chubzilla)

There is no set life on brake pads. Some will last a million miles some will only last a few. It depends on the kind of driving and the amount of time you do it.

Suzie Q will get less brake use when she's covering the brake with the left foot the whole time, for 10K miles, than Johnny will get for driving 18k only touching the brakes to stop, compared to Ol' Roy who uses the exact same car for autocrossing on weekends only and only gets 2K miles....(Numbers made up for reference only)

With that said, I can't tell you exactly why it's squeeling. Could be glazed pads and/or rotors. Could be a loose shim. Could be caliper lock. Could be a myriad of things.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im getting squeeling noise from my driver side front wheel. The noise happens when I hit bumps, vibrations or even turning. I havent had time to pull the wheel. How possible is it that the pads are done at 22k. The noise has been continuous for the past 4 days. This is an 08 Accord v6</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's possible depending on the driver. But it also could very easily be a bent dust shield or rock between the dust shield and rotor.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:18 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Brakes already done at 22k? (someone else)

My front brake pads went about three times that before replacing, and the only reason I replaced the rears was because we were going through that trouble anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes already done at 22k? (George Knighton)

when i cools down tonight, im pulling the wheel.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes already done at 22k? (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My front brake pads went about three times that before replacing, and the only reason I replaced the rears was because we were going through that trouble anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say that on average I see them go 55-65k miles.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brakes already done at 22k? (someone else)

pulled the wheel off and the pads have plenty of lif eon them, looked almost new. checked the dust shield and its not touching anything. im taking it to honda tomorrow. the car is under warranty but wanted to save a trip. Could be defective pads. they werent glazed either.

like i said previously, when im turning sometimes it makes the noise, when i drive over ruff surfaces it makes the noise, but on normal straight line driving nothing.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

upon closer inspection, the sound is coming from the rear driver side wheel.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So did you get this resolved?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p nut)

There was a 08' accord that came in I believe 2 weeks ago at the dealership I workd at. Had around 15k and the rear pads were under 2mm. Lady didn't believe it so she didn't want to replace them. she ended coming back the week after and getting it changed.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hmongboyLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmongboyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was a 08' accord that came in I believe 2 weeks ago at the dealership I workd at. Had around 15k and the rear pads were under 2mm. Lady didn't believe it so she didn't want to replace them. she ended coming back the week after and getting it changed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

guess what, same ****...rear pads, it was never the front. What should i do, they shouldnt be worn like that, that soon. Car is under warranty
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chubzilla)

Have you checked the parking brake for drag? I'd say possible caliper lock, but if it's on both sides, leads to too much tension on the parking brake, even when fully disengaged, or someone driving with it engaged just a tad (oops!).
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Splaturn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splaturn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked the parking brake for drag? I'd say possible caliper lock, but if it's on both sides, leads to too much tension on the parking brake, even when fully disengaged, or someone driving with it engaged just a tad (oops!).</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not caliper lock when jacked up the wheel rotates smoothly. I did pull the rear wheel and its was the brake pad low warning pin that was making the noise. almost no meat left on the pad. whats funny, its that the pads all around besides that wheel, all have at least 75 percent of their life remaining. Its going to honda on thursday. I told them that something has to be the cause of one pad having excessive wear
Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

guess what, same ****...rear pads, it was never the front. What should i do, they shouldnt be worn like that, that soon. Car is under warranty</TD></TR></TABLE>

brakes isn't covered under warranty since it's a wear and tear item. Same goes for tires. Best thing to do is just change it. I have no clue why the rear pads goes out that quick so i can't help you in that department.

Someone mentioned in another thread that when the last generation accord was introduced in 2003, the rear pads wore out around 20k also.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hmongboyLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmongboyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

brakes isn't covered under warranty since it's a wear and tear item. Same goes for tires. Best thing to do is just change it. I have no clue why the rear pads goes out that quick so i can't help you in that department.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, Brake pads are not covered...FAULTY brakes can be. If only ONE corner of the car has that problem, he has a legit safety concern which will probably be addressed by the dealer...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splaturn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, Brake pads are not covered...FAULTY brakes can be. If only ONE corner of the car has that problem, he has a legit safety concern which will probably be addressed by the dealer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoops, guess I miss the other post.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splaturn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, Brake pads are not covered...FAULTY brakes can be. If only ONE corner of the car has that problem, he has a legit safety concern which will probably be addressed by the dealer...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah concidering the passanger side rear brakes have plenty of meat on them. this is concerning, on a brand new car too, even though it has 20k. The rear pads on my s2k didnt go until about 35k
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah concidering the passanger side rear brakes have plenty of meat on them. this is concerning, on a brand new car too, even though it has 20k. The rear pads on my s2k didnt go until about 35k</TD></TR></TABLE>

brand new car and first year on the market. It's going to happen. There are some flaws. I'm planning on getting a new accord also. But we just got the 09' pilot's in so I'm pretty sure the 09 accord's are on the way. It's a toss up right now for me.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chubzilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is concerning, on a brand new car too, even though it has 20k. The rear pads on my s2k didnt go until about 35k</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, it's not the mileage. It's the usage. Here are some examples.

My 97 Saturn. 200K Freeway miles. Only have ever changed the brakes ONCE.
Brother's 02 Sierra HD. 135k Freeway miles. Stock pads still there (just checked, still in spec with plenty of meat left ).
Brother's MDX. 35K mountain Driving. On second set already.
Dad's TL. 100K mostly in city driving only. Probably on 3rd or 4th set.
My motorcycle. 16K in city, 3rd set.

In all honesty, i'd just go into the dealer tell them that with moderate braking, car starts veering towards side with bad brakes, or occasion lock under heavy braking. Make sure it's a safety concern. Get it all documented, and if they still don't help, a little call to the local news station may open their eye or change their decision.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again, it's not the mileage. It's the usage. Here are some examples.

My 97 Saturn. 200K Freeway miles. Only have ever changed the brakes ONCE.
Brother's 02 Sierra HD. 135k Freeway miles. Stock pads still there (just checked, still in spec with plenty of meat left ).
Brother's MDX. 35K mountain Driving. On second set already.
Dad's TL. 100K mostly in city driving only. Probably on 3rd or 4th set.
My motorcycle. 16K in city, 3rd set.

In all honesty, i'd just go into the dealer tell them that with moderate braking, car starts veering towards side with bad brakes, or occasion lock under heavy braking. Make sure it's a safety concern. Get it all documented, and if they still don't help, a little call to the local news station may open their eye or change their decision.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

90 percent of those miles are highway miles