Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe

im helping a friend out with his accord, and so far find parts are low to null and itme geting frustrated

could some one help me out with this search?
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (hypeonline)

I'm not sure what kinds of things you're looking for, but you're generally not going to find a lot of aftermarket enthusiast-oriented parts for the G7 Accord.

With the exception of the 2006 - 2007 HART campaign Coupe, I cannot even think of a serious racing effort using the G7 Accord.

You won't find headers because the first part of the OEM exhaust manifold is an integral part of the head, and it would be enormously expensive and inconvenient to modify.

If you're looking for suspensions, you're probably not going to want to go too far because the Accord's general appeal is to a kind of driver that's generally looking for a different kind of road experience, different from the typical Integra or RSX enthusiast. You can dig up an OEM HFP suspension for under $700 much of the time, and this is a genuine Honda approved, Showa-made suspension. I'd suggest a camber kit for the rear if you do this, however. Honda does not make that clear in its literature about the kit, and even this writer has been guilty of trying one without a camber kit. The camber is <u>just</u> enough out in the rear to cause wear in everyday driving.

Another popular option is putting the TL-S rear sway bar on the Accord Coupe. This writer also has the TL-S front sway, too. I like it like that, but most hot shoes would probably want just the rear.

These cars have a lot of torque. They are more powerful cars than you'd generally believe from the published HP ratings. For example, from the Dynojet figures out of my own 2006 Coupe, you would expect that the car should have legitimately received a net HP rating of around 260 HP instead of the published 244 HP. The reason I am mentioning this is because if you go too far with the enthusiastic driving of these kinds of Hondas, you will quickly run into one of the biggest problems to solve if you mean business: You need an LSD.

This is a moderately expensive thing to buy, and troublesome to put in if you don't have experience. Most people stop at this point because it's a lot of trouble and because it's something unseen and thereby of less value to the <u>typical</u> hobbyist, so Accords just don't get all that much modifying.

The cheapest and least troublesome way of getting an LSD into your Accord is probably to just break down and buy a TL-S six speed complete assembly and bolt it on.

Lots of trouble, and the money adds up real fast. That's why these very nicely performing Hondas don't get as much tuner attention as other, smaller Hondas.

The four pictures above are of my own Coupe, with the HFP suspension and Acura TL wheels. The TL wheels are a very, very good buy, usually available for around $400 for all four. They are 17x8 +45 and about the best economical compromise on a different wheel. 235-45-17 fits perfectly even under the slightly lowered fenders.

Just a few pictures of the HART Grand Am car, for inspiration.

One tuner's idea, a car that was taken around with the roll out of the G7-A in 2006. It showed up at a couple of shows, but I don't know what finally became of the car or to whom they sold it.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (George Knighton)

thanks man but would you if you could use anything from the early v6 ie pulleys, flywheels cuz he's really looking for summin that gives better throttle, i know a couple of ppl have adapted the tl supercharger kit for these with little effort
Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was crushed, like every other manufacturer sponsored show car... : (

You can also check out V6p.net there are some folks on there that have adapted Comptech's supercharger or even develped turbo systems. I just installed a Wilwood BBK on mine, and tmost of he big suspension players all make parts.

I think you can easily make a quick, great handling, well stopping car that still maintains the comfort that led most people to buy an Accord in the first place (over say an SI.)

Improved but not raw.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What shifter are they using in that hart GK? is that the euro accord mugen shifter&gt;?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (MSchu)

there are a few parts out, just not a lot of brands that you can buy each part from. there are about 1-3 companies dat create one part only. few companies make cold air intakes for the v6, but the v6 is more rare than the 4cyl, the 4cyl has more products available. only one company makes crank pulleys for the v6, which is unorthodox. i've found many throttle body spacers, 1-2 companies that make v6 headers, and 2-3 companies that make cat back systems. there are a lot of companies that make suspension parts too. lots of coilovers, a couple of strut and sway bars, lots of springs, and lots of shocks available for this car and like 1-2 companies that make camber kits. as of body, you will rarely find aftermarket parts. Honda factory and 2 others are the only that make body kits or lips for the coupe. there are only two short shifters, and they are only adapters. so yeh, enjoy looking
Old 10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (ch0baca)

do you know who and where to get the headers from?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ch0baca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 1-2 companies that make v6 headers</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypeonline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know who and where to get the headers from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Remember that the OEM headers are a cast part of the head. Make sure you know what you're buying and what you're going to be getting out of it.

I hope you guys know what you're doing. I mean, the Dynojet numbers *stock* (on 93 octane, consistently) point to 258 - 262 HP SAE Net. I cannot imagine why you'd want more than that w/out getting an LSD first!!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypeonline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know who and where to get the headers from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

search on ebay, they are either comptech or OBX for around 300-400
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alrite ebay it is, George Knighton where did you get the kit from cuz i cant seen to find it anywhere i know its oem i just need to know who has em
Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypeonline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alrite ebay it is,</TD></TR></TABLE>
I hope you know what you're doing. Have you looked at the motor to understand that the headers are a part of the head?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> George Knighton where did you get the kit from cuz i cant seen to find it anywhere i know its oem i just need to know who has em</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://handaaccessories.com/accext03.html I think mine came from the dealer, but those folks are reliable.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

You can find parts for this car, you just have to look hard enough. For my g7 v6 I have done a few bolt-on mods, and really love the way it sounds now, much less the extra low end torque. Over at v6p.net there are venders selling high quality parts that you otherwise would have to either buy junk crap from Ebay, or not buy them because they don't exist anywhere. I bought a downpipe and test pipe from a guy there for $345 shipped, and the power gain was great. It got me about 1.5 mph faster in the quarter mile, and the torque throughout the entire revrange is dyno proven. I also have an AEM v2 intake and Magnaflow catback exhaust, which is the best sounding and cheapest catback out there for the 7th gen IMHO.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (Uncle Ben's)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uncle Ben’s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I bought a downpipe and test pipe from a guy there for $345 shipped, and the power gain was great. It got me about 1.5 mph faster in the quarter mile.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

At the time, was that the only change you made to get that increase in performance?

How long did you give the computer to catch up before you tested it?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At the time, was that the only change you made to get that increase in performance?

How long did you give the computer to catch up before you tested it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, this was going to the track after previously only having the intake and exhaust mods. Temperature was about the same, 60s-70s. And yes I gave the computer ample time to modify the fuel/timing, as I didn't run the car for about 3-4 weeks after doing the mods, which is at least 500 miles of driving. My best trap between the two trips was 95.00 from the first one, to 97.35 on the second one, which is equivalent to 98.9 according to the altitude calculator on dragtimes. In fact it made so much low end torque that averting wheelhop off the line was manageable before, but impossible after the DP/TP. I'll have to track the car again before the year is done since I now have Innovative mounts to stop the hopping, which will be nice since I won't have to ***** foot it off the line.

In fact George, I would recommend this mod since IIRC you track your car. The midrange torque is dyno proven and definitely discernible, and replacing the ostensible third cat doesn't create any unwanted side effects like smell or raspy sound or anything like that.

If you're into straight line acceleration, as I am, maybe it would please you to know that the Accord now pulls on stock SRT4s and 6 speed g35 coupes, and will go door to door with a new Mustang GT

Modified by Uncle Ben's at 8:46 AM 10/18/2008
Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Any upgrades for the 04 v6 coupe (Uncle Ben's)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uncle Ben’s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In fact George, I would recommend this mod since IIRC you track your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a dedicated track car, a DC2 ITR with a K20A.

The Accord has been used as an instructor car, but not as my regular track car. Not interested in the accelerated wear on my commuter car.

Thank you very much for coming back w/more information.