Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2005 V6 6 Spd Throwout Bearing Squeel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 V6 6 Spd Throwout Bearing Squeel?

I have an 05 V6 6 Speed accord - while idling you can hear the throwout bearing squeeling / squeeking. This only stops if you depress the clutch a tiny bit. The car has 67k miles on it. Seems a bit odd to me this should be a problem at 67k.

My options seem to be live with the noise until eminent failure or get it fixed ($$$). Is this a known issue?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 2005 V6 6 Spd Throwout Bearing Squeel?

The clutch release bearing should not spin with the clutch pedal completely out and the car sitting stationary in neutral. The only things turning in that situation are the crankshaft/flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and the transmission mainshaft.

If the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal in, then it isn't the release bearing, because that's when it starts turning as it contacts the pressure plate fingers. More likely that it's a mainshaft bearing, as the mainshaft stops turning when the clutch pedal is pushed in with the transmission in neutral.

Mainshaft bearing failures are common with D- and B-series manual transmissions - particularly the inboard mainshaft bearing, also referred to as the input shaft bearing. This is often caused by running the transmission low on oil.

Have you checked or changed your transmission oil lately? Are your axle seals or transmission case leaking?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had the trans. fluid changed last winter after it was shifting rough. Service was performed at Honda.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like it could be a bearing. i have done a couple of TL's with main shaft bearing noise.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, i'll have the trans fluid changed again maybe that will temporarily quieten it up.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Targa250R
The clutch release bearing should not spin with the clutch pedal completely out and the car sitting stationary in neutral. The only things turning in that situation are the crankshaft/flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and the transmission mainshaft.

If the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal in, then it isn't the release bearing, because that's when it starts turning as it contacts the pressure plate fingers. More likely that it's a mainshaft bearing, as the mainshaft stops turning when the clutch pedal is pushed in with the transmission in neutral.

Mainshaft bearing failures are common with D- and B-series manual transmissions - particularly the inboard mainshaft bearing, also referred to as the input shaft bearing. This is often caused by running the transmission low on oil.

Have you checked or changed your transmission oil lately? Are your axle seals or transmission case leaking?

Question for you regarding this post, what Honda vehicles are the D and B series trans in and what years?

I have a 2001 Manual transmission Accord and am thinking about buying a 2003-2009 Accord with a manual trans.

On the 2001 manual trans, is this transmission a good transmission that is not prone to failure with care or is it prone to Mainshaft issues?

Thanks

L
Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by journeyforce
Question for you regarding this post, what Honda vehicles are the D and B series trans in and what years?

I have a 2001 Manual transmission Accord and am thinking about buying a 2003-2009 Accord with a manual trans.

On the 2001 manual trans, is this transmission a good transmission that is not prone to failure with care or is it prone to Mainshaft issues?

Thanks

L
your safe the d and b series are the integras and the civics
man those were the good old days of easy money for a rebuild
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SuperMaing
Well, i'll have the trans fluid changed again maybe that will temporarily quieten it up.
your only going to be masking a problem and spending money you dont have to.
Originally Posted by journeyforce

Thanks

L
all d and b even the new 01+ civics
Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changing MT fluid won't help
i have the new Honda MTF fluid in
i have clutch squeal and whistle sound also
weird, think it's the release bearing or some other bearing
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R

i have this noise also with my b series. Is the mainshaft bearing easy to replace when you install a clutch? what if i ignore the issue?