Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord V6(AT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord V6(AT)

I have a couple of issues with the car I purchased mid October'12 that I'm kinda just noticing within the past couple of weeks....

1 - When I turn on the car from leaving it overnight, there's a knocking on the passenger side of the motor.. It's louder while sitting inside the car.. But when you open the hood, it's not that loud.. But when the car is warm/hot it doesn't make the noise when I turn it back on...

2 - The AC/Heat options.. When I turn on the AC, it's all good... All 4 vents are pumping out cold air.. But when I put on the heater, the driver's side vents (left side of the middle vents and far left on driver's side) pumps out cold air... WTF?? LOL.. Yup.. And when I have the system off and the air is coming from the outside (recycled button is off), the driver's side (again, left side of middle vents and far left on driver's side) comes out hot/warm regardless of where I have the dial set to.. If I have it set to cold, it comes out warm on both sides..

Any help on any of these issues would be appreciated...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
WLH
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Accord V6(AT)

It may be that the intake side 0-ring of the power steering pump is allowing air to enter the system. It's a really easy job to replace in and out 0-rings.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply WLH...

I'm assuming this is for the problem #1..

So the O-ring(s) will cause the knocking noise when the car is cold? But not make it when the car is warm/hot?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The power steering will not make a knocking noise. Has the timing belt been changed on this car? I had a knocking sound too, but changing the timing belt, and pulleys, fixed it.
The problem with the A/C sounds like an air mix door problem, but I'm no expert.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
The power steering will not make a knocking noise. Has the timing belt been changed on this car? I had a knocking sound too, but changing the timing belt, and pulleys, fixed it.
The problem with the A/C sounds like an air mix door problem, but I'm no expert.
Thank you for the info... I don't think I'm crazy here, but I think you also responded elsewhere... Right?

The dealer did the power steering recall when I purchased the car (private party)... Do you think they "messed" it up?

And as far I know, I doubt the timing belt has been changed....
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, I also responded in the other forum. Does your engine noise sound anything like the video I posted? How many miles on the car?

They may have changed the hose, in October, but it was not the new redesigned (insulated) hose. You need to get the "new and improved" hose installed whenever your local dealership has them in stock. I'm still waiting for the local dealership to get the new hoses. Maybe when you bring the car in for the recall hose installation, you can ask about the noise, and the A/C problem.

Here's the video again. Click on the pic
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Right, I also responded in the other forum. Does your engine noise sound anything like the video I posted? How many miles on the car?

They may have changed the hose, in October, but it was not the new redesigned (insulated) hose. You need to get the "new and improved" hose installed whenever your local dealership has them in stock. I'm still waiting for the local dealership to get the new hoses. Maybe when you bring the car in for the recall hose installation, you can ask about the noise, and the A/C problem.

Here's the video again. Click on the pic
Yup.... That's the exact noise that it makes...

Wait a minute... So the recall work that they did for the power steering hose is not the one that's needed to be done?? The hose(s) that's supposed to be installed was not installed and they cleared off the recall work for my car?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They may have done the first part of the recall, which was to inspect the original hose, and replace it with a regular hose, if needed. The new "redesigned" hoses were not supposed to be ready until 2013. I still haven't gotten the notice that the new hoses are at the local dealership.

How many miles are on your car? Is it due for a timing belt change?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine is a 2006 V6 and had similar noises which would go away when the car warmed up. The dealer said that it was air in the steering line and a power steering flush would fix it. Since I live in a part where the number of months with cold weather is pretty low, I did not get it done. No noise in summer. And yes the sound was extremely annoying in the sense that it was loud enough to wake the better half.
In my case, I did the power steering hose replacement and the timing belt together. Now absolutely no noise. So I am not exactly sure which one fixed the issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shrekfiona
Mine is a 2006 V6 and had similar noises which would go away when the car warmed up. The dealer said that it was air in the steering line and a power steering flush would fix it. Since I live in a part where the number of months with cold weather is pretty low, I did not get it done. No noise in summer. And yes the sound was extremely annoying in the sense that it was loud enough to wake the better half.
In my case, I did the power steering hose replacement and the timing belt together. Now absolutely no noise. So I am not exactly sure which one fixed the issue.
How much did you pay for the work?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dopeyman06
How much did you pay for the work?
About $750(with tax close to $800) with a dealer special discount coupon
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Air mix door or low charge of 134a
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: 2003 Accord V6(AT)

Originally Posted by dopeyman06
Thank you for the info... I don't think I'm crazy here, but I think you also responded elsewhere... Right?

The dealer did the power steering recall when I purchased the car (private party)... Do you think they "messed" it up?

And as far I know, I doubt the timing belt has been changed....
You may, or not like this advice, I am a 20 year car man, who left the business as a General Sales Manager working in the front end of the store, we do know a little about the Service Dept., and Service Dept. Managers prefer to meet the 2nd owner of the car, and may even have a service record for your car in their system. So, if you take your Honda into your New car Dealer Service Dept. tell them you recently purchased your car, describe your concern, then the service writer will inform you of what it costs you to have it checked, in fact there is a flat rate in most Service Dept.'s for 20 to 30 point check's that probably covers your issue(s).