Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Accord EX V6 Failed Smog Air Injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord EX V6 Failed Smog Air Injection

Hi Everyone:
Great to be here. My 2003 Accord Ex V6 failed it's smog due to Air Injection fail.
The tech thinks it is because the system is not taking a reading. All else passed with flying colors CO% Ave at idle 0.00 at 2500 RPM 0.10 all is beautiful there. Everything else passed.
Has anyone heard of their Air Injection not taking a reading so their smog failed?? The tech said if the car is only driven around town that that could be causing the "no reading." Because he thinks that the car's computer takes a reading only when it goes for about 30 miles straight.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to what could be going on and/or what I can check. Appreciate any and all answers.

Thanks very much!

SantaCruz7
Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 Failed Smog Air Injection

Hi Honda Experts (or at least way more knowledgable than me)

Today I had my 2003 Accord Ex V6 smog checked again, same car from above post. I read the Smog Check Vehicle Inspection Report wrong. The Fail is for MIL/Check Engine Light. It failed due to unsuccessful completion of OBD self tests.
The Tech asked if the battery had been disconnected which it has not. On Monday all passed but one test was not taken. On Tues the car was driven 80 miles. Re-checked today, Wed. now two reading are not being taken? It did not pass due to MIL/Check Engine Light due to falure to successfully completing all OBD self tests.

I went to another smog station. I was told to drive it 100 miles and it might take a reading. The other tech place said for $110 he will look into it futher.

What would you do would you spend $110 to have him try to figure out how to get the computer to do a reading? Or is this a rip off? This is the shop that ran the failed smog. I heard the owner cut another customer's price to $55 for telling him what is wrong with his vehicle. Should I try to get him to reduce his rate? He has run the smog check 3 times at this point.

What would you do??

Please help.

Thank you!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since no one else has answered.

I would start by checking the ECU fuse that supplies power when the car is off. If that fuse is blown, then every time you start the car the ECU will begin the full cycle of self tests, which can take anywhere from 50 to 150 miles to complete.

Also, it might be a good idea to just buy an OBD2 port scanner. I spent $35 on mine, and it can reset the ECU and/or clear any existing codes while plugged in.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Hi TunerN00:
I sure appreciate your reply. One other piece of informaton that might help solve this mystery is that my battery was unplugged recently and re-plugged in about a month ago.

I want to try what you suggested in your post above, can you tell me where the ECU fuse is located?

Thanks very much for your time and advice. Any wisdom you can share is VERY much appreicated. Got to get this car smogged!!! You know how that is.

Thanks again!

Best to ya,

SantaCruz7
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SantaCruz7
Hi TunerN00:
I sure appreciate your reply. One other piece of informaton that might help solve this mystery is that my battery was unplugged recently and re-plugged in about a month ago.

I want to try what you suggested in your post above, can you tell me where the ECU fuse is located?

Thanks very much for your time and advice. Any wisdom you can share is VERY much appreicated. Got to get this car smogged!!! You know how that is.

Thanks again!

Best to ya,

SantaCruz7
I don't know Accord fuse locations, sorry.

However, it is generally in the engine bay on most Hondas that I have seen (Civic, Integra, Prelude).

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Hi TunerN00b

I found the fuse and it was good. I bought an OBD2 Port Scanner and it showed EGR System not ready, Osygen Sensor not ready, Evaporative System not ready, Catalyst not ready.

What should I do next?

Thank you for any suggestions. Really need the help as to why my car has failed smog check.

SantaCruz7
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SantaCruz7
Hi TunerN00b

I found the fuse and it was good. I bought an OBD2 Port Scanner and it showed EGR System not ready, Osygen Sensor not ready, Evaporative System not ready, Catalyst not ready.

What should I do next?

Thank you for any suggestions. Really need the help as to why my car has failed smog check.

SantaCruz7
If they're not ready, you can't pass the port scan portion of the smog check.

And that's about where my knowledge here ends.

Try asking this in the Tech/Misc section, including the results of the port scan. You're probably more likely to get others to respond there.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Hi Tuner,

Thanks very much. I appreciate the idea. I just posted there!

Have a great day!

SantaCruz7