Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

03 Accord coupe 3.0L manual trans.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 03 Accord coupe 3.0L manual trans.

I just recently bought a 2003 Accord coupe with a 6 speed manual transmission and it torque steers like mad. One thing that Acura does to compensate is to put a limited slip differential. My question is is there a kit anywhere in the world to put a lsd in my car?? Or, if it is possible, to take a 2003 Acura Cl type S lsd and put it into my vehicle?? I ask about the CL-S because that year it was a 3.0L engine as well and came with a 6 speed manual transmission with a lsd. Any knowledge I can get would be most appreciated.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEH, go with cl-s tranny. i think dats the only one, or maybe even the TL tranny?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

This is hearsay, but from my experience on another Accord v6 website, I have found that the 04+ generation TL trannys won't bolt to the 03-07 Accord v6. The 6 speed from the 03 CL Type S(all v6s from this generation were 3.2 liters, but that doesn't matter anyway) will bolt to our v6 as far as I know.

Exactly how bad is the torque steer in your Accord? Mine is modified, and I can definitely tell there is a discernible difference in torque, especially down low(today when leaving a parking lot at the shopping plaza near the busiest intersection in my state, I gave it about 70% throttle at less than 20 mph in second gear and the tires began to spin and hop on dry pavement; the wheelhop suggests it was actual wheelspin and the tires were dry, it was also 15 degrees) but I have never had to deal with or fight any torque steer. I have experienced it, my old turbo DSM with only a KN intake(making 210 tq stock, so probably even a little less than my bolt on Accord) would feel like there is a tornado next to my car if I floored it in second gear, but the Accord doesn't act up at all, at least not nearly to the extent the DSM did. I have read reviews also that commend the Accord for having relatively little torque steer for the power it has.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM

I guess i need to clarify my question. I am wondering if i order the lsd final drive from a CL-S will it swap into my trans that I have now?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's
This is hearsay, but from my experience on another Accord v6 website, I have found that the 04+ generation TL trannys won't bolt to the 03-07 Accord v6. The 6 speed from the 03 CL Type S(all v6s from this generation were 3.2 liters, but that doesn't matter anyway) will bolt to our v6 as far as I know.

Exactly how bad is the torque steer in your Accord? Mine is modified, and I can definitely tell there is a discernible difference in torque, especially down low(today when leaving a parking lot at the shopping plaza near the busiest intersection in my state, I gave it about 70% throttle at less than 20 mph in second gear and the tires began to spin and hop on dry pavement; the wheelhop suggests it was actual wheelspin and the tires were dry, it was also 15 degrees) but I have never had to deal with or fight any torque steer. I have experienced it, my old turbo DSM with only a KN intake(making 210 tq stock, so probably even a little less than my bolt on Accord) would feel like there is a tornado next to my car if I floored it in second gear, but the Accord doesn't act up at all, at least not nearly to the extent the DSM did. I have read reviews also that commend the Accord for having relatively little torque steer for the power it has.
My car if i leave it on cruise on the freeway at 70 mph and let go of the steering wheel i will go into the slow lane slowly to start and it gets progressively worse the longer i let it go. it gets to a point where if i don't grab the wheel the car will almost go sideways because i would hit the dirt at such a fast speed and at a horrible angle. I have put 17k miles on the car in the past 7 months because i have been driving to Arizona and back a lot and i hate driving the car for long distances because of the torque steer. It gets annoying after the first 2 hours of fighting it and aggravating at the end of a 10 hour trip to Arizona. And like you talk about by giving it 3/4 throttle i have to hold my wheel at almost 90 degrees from straight to keep the car going in a straight line it is really horrible. I am hoping i can just change the final drive in my trans with a lsd final drive from a 2003 CL-S to make it go away but i dont know if it will work as a swap like that and I am asking asking anyone that has thought about it or has done to help me out PLEASE!

Last edited by Gone2drive; 12-04-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gone2drive
My car if i leave it on cruise on the freeway at 70 mph and let go of the steering wheel i will go into the slow lane slowly to start and it gets progressively worse the longer i let it go. it gets to a point where if i don't grab the wheel the car will almost go sideways because i would hit the dirt at such a fast speed and at a horrible angle. I have put 17k miles on the car in the past 7 months because i have been driving to Arizona and back a lot and i hate driving the car for long distances because of the torque steer. It gets annoying after the first 2 hours of fighting it and aggravating at the end of a 10 hour trip to Arizona. And like you talk about by giving it 3/4 throttle i have to hold my wheel at almost 90 degrees from straight to keep the car going in a straight line it is really horrible. I am hoping i can just change the final drive in my trans with a lsd final drive from a 2003 CL-S to make it go away but i dont know if it will work as a swap like that and I am asking asking anyone that has thought about it or has done to help me out PLEASE!
This sounds a lot like a bad alignment to me. Back when I had my swapped hatch, I took it to the track, and after a few hard launches, the alignment was so bad that my steering wheel was way off center to drive straight, like yours, and I also had to fight to keep the car straight at WOT, like yours.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's
This sounds a lot like a bad alignment to me. Back when I had my swapped hatch, I took it to the track, and after a few hard launches, the alignment was so bad that my steering wheel was way off center to drive straight, like yours, and I also had to fight to keep the car straight at WOT, like yours.
I agree with Uncle Ben, and I'd suggest that the original poster get a very good four wheel alignment from a shop with a good reputation before spending money on an LSD and going through all that.

There are several Honda Torsen axles that'll fit the 6-6 G7 Accord, but get a good alignment first to make absolutely sure you know what you're dealing with. :-)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I agree with Uncle Ben, and I'd suggest that the original poster get a very good four wheel alignment from a shop with a good reputation before spending money on an LSD and going through all that.

There are several Honda Torsen axles that'll fit the 6-6 G7 Accord, but get a good alignment first to make absolutely sure you know what you're dealing with. :-)

I aligned the car myself on the newest laser Hunter alignment machine and I know it is right. But what is the difference between a Torsen axle and a normal CV axle??