Honda Accord (2013 - 2015) 2013 - 2015 Honda Accord and Inspire

Ex-smoker, Stank in certain temp ranges with AC only

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Ex-smoker, Stank in certain temp ranges with AC only

Hi,

So, I smoked in my car for about 1/4 of its 4 year life. 15 accord ex-l. cabin does not stank one bit at all things off. heck, there are no stanks being blown most of time with AC on where I live (deep south and hot usually). However, between 71-76 degrees on the settings, with AC on and window vent on, with recirculate enabled or not (for defogging purposes when the temps are cold here and I need to run the heater, AC has to be on too else the car will fog up in no time. I live in a very humid place) there is this nasty stank of smoke and mix of every airfreshner and chemical guys and tide sprays I have used before being all cooked up and anciet and blowing right out the main vents into my face. I have tested this circumstance and it only happens within those ranges and these specific settings which are a necessity as I uber with this car daily as well. I have long quit smoking. I have changed the air filter every 5-6K miles too and this can be replicated right after placing a new air filter in there as well.

Does anyone here have the slightest idea what I can do and which parts I may be able to open and access and hand clean by any chance to get rid of this? Again, one cannot smell anything with blower off, with heater above 75 with AC on, with heater only and no AC at any temp, or at temps under 70 with or without AC. The stank does not necessarily happen with outside air blowing it either. I have a feeling there is a particular part spiderwebbed with smoke and/or mildew and other stanks that needs to be accessed, removed, washed and cleaned off properly.

I am without solutions after much research and the only thing I got left to do is to take it to a dealer and ask them which I am hesitant to do as I am currently broke AF and those guys charge too much for anything and everything. I have one last idea up my sleeve which is to spray ozium into outside vent while blasting air inside on max maybe that will kill the stank by going thru the system, doubt it will be permanent though. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome, especially from those who have experience with this specific situation and topic, looking for a permanent fix. To reaffirm, the fabric and cabin of the vehicle do not stank AT ALL, its something inside the air circuit.

Also, does anyone know for sure where the cabin air intake is located for recirculated air? it does not seem to be under the glove compartment like many other vehicles from my tests and feels.

Many thanks!
Sammy

Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Ex-smoker, Stank in certain temp ranges with AC only

Dealers,used car dealers and mobile detailers use machines to clean out the ducting of smokey residue and mold(which also has a stank to it.)

That is your only option that will really work. My personal experience with this procedure has found that Ozone generators are hands down the best machines for the job,however,other machines that use soap and fragrances work also(not as good and the effect isnt nearly as lasting)

A good generator is in the $300+ range. I dont know how effective lower models are.

You can also search the net for a cleaning service(mobile detailer) and see what they charge for the service.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They do make activated charcoal cabin air filters which might help alleviate some of the smell. Something to look into.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-26-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The other good option aside from an ozone treatment, would be to run the system and spray a bunch of lysol in the air intake and if you can find it, the recirculation vent.

There are also some systems that some shops use with a long skinny nozzle to reach as far into the vents as possible, as you probably have some nasty crud caked onto your a/c evap core. You need something that will kill all of the bacteria in there to get rid of the funk.