Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Wiper Motor won't park

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Wiper Motor won't park

I have a 91' Accord Wagon EX. Recently my wind shield wiper motor started acting up. First it completely quit. Then after replacing a fuse (interior drivers side) I got the wipers to work again but now they won't park in the proper position. When I turn them on they want to go down first. I'm baffled. Is there a park switch/diode in the motor itself that's gone bad or is there a relay of some sort somewhere else that controls this function? I've searched Honda parts everywhere and can't find any sort of "relay" or specific fuse for such a thing. Anyone have any clues? Thanks very much.

Bryan
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The park switch is built into the motor.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your response. One other quick question..... I'm not positive now because I've done so much switching around taking motors off and on etc., but I swear it did the same thing when I had the new motor I just got on there also. Maybe not. Unfortunately I've returned the new motor now thinking I had the problem solved after replacing a fuse and saw that my old motor was now moving again.
But my question is, do I maybe have the control arms in the wrong position when I re-attach them to the motor? Follow me? There are markings on the bottom side of the armature and I don't know what they mean. On one side there is a long arrow, and on the "end" nearest where the motor actually attaches there are 3 bars/slashes type markings. Don't know what they indicate. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Bryan
Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plug the motor in while holding it in your hand, run it and park it, then install it and attach the arms, or, you can put a paint mark on the wiper arm shaft and run it prior to attaching the arms to see if the paint mark will park properly. I do not know about the arrows and other indicators.

You may need to use a jumper wire to ground the motor to the car????
Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be darned, that worked! I did just what you suggested and that did the trick! Can't thank you enough. This actually saved our Thanksgiving as we needed the car for a trip next week but could not go if the wipers weren't going to be working (it rains a ton here in Washington State this time of year!) but now we can! Thanks again.

This site rocks!
Bryan
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on man, deja vu, a few months ago I was going to leave the country and on the way to the airport, 3 hour drive through Tokyo, my wiper arm in front of the driver started to slip loose on the motor driveshaft. Because I was going to park there I tool all my tools out and left them at the house. I tried everything but my teeth to try to tighten that damn nut. It started to rain harder and I really needed that wiper. I practically tore apart the van looking for anything, hidden in the glove box by the 10 disc changer was a fricken Leatherman tool, YES. Job done and on to the airport with no time to spare. Got a little lost looking for the cheap parking place, never left my vehicle there before. Leatherman is now in the center console to stay.