Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What Shift Interlock Solenoid Part Number...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Shift Interlock Solenoid Part Number...?

Hey guys. I have a 2000 Accord EX 4cyl. I’m experiencing the shifter being stuck in park issue.

After reviewing many old posts I checked the fuses and they look good. I’m now going to change out the brake light switch and the “shift-interlock (release) solenoid”. My question is what part number do I need for the “shift-interlock (release) solenoid”? I was searching on amazon and just want to make sure I order the correct part. OEM or replacement, all works with me. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Shift Interlock Solenoid Part Number...?

Solenoid... Assembly A? Assembly B? Assembly C?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:59 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

A B C sound like the shift solenoids, not the interlock solenoid.
39550-S82-A81 note says 'pontiac' might be Delco part. ~$30

If you hear no clicking when depressing the brake pedal then it may be the switch or the solenoid. Bypass brake switch to verify power to the solenoid. Do not apply direct power to the solenoid as it can be damaged.
Verify brake pedal switch, shifter cable and gear switch are properly adjusted.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

It can be other things other than just the brake pedal position switch or shift lock solenoid.

Some possible culprits:

• Blown fuse – First check under-hood Fuse no. 47 (20A). Also check driver’s side under-dash Fuse no. 9 (7.5A) – Not likely to be due to blown fuses if there are no other problems ; but, at least check under-hood Fuse no. 47.

• Wiring issue - short or open (break) in wiring

• Brake pedal position switch

• Throttle position sensor - The voltage needs to be at less than .5 volts (this essentially tells the PCM the accelerator pedal is not depressed and the throttle is closed). If it is at a higher voltage, the PCM thinks the accelerator is depressed and the throttle is open and prevents the shift lock solenoid from energizing (you won’t be able to shift out of Park).

You can try unplugging the connector to the TPS, you’ll get a Check Engine Light; but, see if you can shift out of Park.

• PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

• Transmission Range Switch – Is the P light on? Can be faulty even if P light is on.

• Driver's multiplex control unit

• Shift lock solenoid

This is how the shift position interlock works:
When you push the brake pedal, battery voltage is sent through a WHT/BLK wire to the PCM. If, at the same time, you do not push the accelerator pedal, a low voltage signal is sent from the TPS through a RED/BLK wire to the PCM. The PCM then applies voltage through a WHT/RED wire to the shift lock circuit in the driver’s multiplex control unit. When you move the A/T shift lever from the PARK position, ground is provided to the shift lock solenoid. The solenoid is then energized allowing the shift lever to be moved from the PARK position.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Mad_Mike and tech8 for the responses.

Mad_Mike – I may have been confused with my Solenoid Assembly A, B, or C post above. I’m looking for a part number for a part called the “shift-interlock solenoid” discussed in the following post… https://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-...-woes-2155116/ I’m not sure if this would be one of the Solenoid Assemblies (A, B, or C) or not. I looked up the part number you posted 39550-S82-A81 and it was titled “Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Solenoid Assembly (Pontiac)” is this the same part as the “shift-interlock solenoid”?

Tech8 – Thank you for the good trouble shooting list and explanation of the process. I’m going to replace the “brake light switch” and the “shift-interlock solenoid” and see if that fixes the problem (hopefully). If not, I’ll be checking out the other possible sources in your list. You listed a “brake pedal position switch” is that the same as the “brake light switch” also referred to as the “stop light switch”?

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Shift interlock solenoid prevents the shifter taken out of PARK. It is located in the shifter assembly inside the console.

Shift solenoids A B C are the solenoids that control gear shifting 1>2, 2>3, 3>4, these are located on the transmission itself and have nothing to do with locking of the shifter.

Check your ignition switch, if jiggling the key while the key is turned to II(ON) with the brake pedal depressed activates the shift solenoid(clicking from the shifter/center console) then the ignition switch(electrical switch not the key tumbler) may be worn out and causing an intermediate contact.

But I would first verify that the shift interlock solenoid is getting power. If it is then the solenoid is most likely bad. If there is no power then their is an interruption in the circuit and that fault needs to be rectified.

#3 in image B3500B is the shift interlock solenoid 39550-S82-A81

You may want to verify that #2 is functioning, this is the parking switch assembly. This may affect how the shift interlock works.
If drinks have spilled onto/into the shifter, this can gum up and insulate contacts inside the shifter.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MAD_MIKE - Thank you very much for all the information and for the explanation. I feel much more informed now and ready to remedy the problem. Thank you again for all the help.