Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

trans problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem?

okay i need help guys... first the car is a 96 accord 2.2l vtec automatic.
its not my car, im helping out a friend...
here is the history on the car, engine had a hole in the block to start with.

i swapped in a new motor, he blew the headgasket about two weeks after the swap, coolant temp sensor went bad, he kept driving it and messed everything up...

i installed a new coolant temp sensor, new radiator, new reservoir tank, new thermostat, new head gasket, new valve seals, new intake manifold gasket... resurfaced the head, removed and cleaned out intake and exhaust valves, cleaned out the intake manifold...

about a month later the transmission took a dump... picked up a used transmission, installed it... works like a charm, so i thought...

now here is the weird part, when you shut the car off for a few mins and turn the car back on it will move in all the gears and reverse, but only for like a few feet than its like in neutral, wont go anywhere... turn the car off wait a few mins, turn back on, put in drive, go a few feet than nothing again...

any help would be much appreciated...

Last edited by vang; 07-27-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: trans problem?

Check the gear selector, TV Cable, and mounting bolts first off.

Used trans could be blown. I'd recommend rebuilding it yourself; they aren't insane like GM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow that gotta suck
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bobinator5000
Check the gear selector, TV Cable, and mounting bolts first off.

Used trans could be blown. I'd recommend rebuilding it yourself; they aren't insane like GM.

did that all is good... swapped out all the solenoids and ecu, still nothing...
im lost man... hahaha... no codes thrown either...

when you first start it, it will move, but like i said only for a few feet than it acts like its in neutral... turn off the car and start it again, works again for a few feet...

come on people someone out there has to of had this same problem...
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yo, I notice you're Hmong too.

I think something in the tranny might not be working properly like how it should.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it won't move, it revs just like it's in neutral?
The ATF fluid is full right? (Just covering the bases)
No flashing D4 light? (I know you said there were no codes)
What were the symptoms of the first transmission that failed?
Did you re-use the torque converter?
Are there any abnormal noises when moving it through gears and the engine running?
Any abnormal noises when it is driving for the short distance and then quits?

Troubleshooting with the AT points to:
* The shifter cable being broken or out of adjustment (Not likely since the car moves for a moment then stops)
* Oil pump is worn or binding ( I think this area is were the problem lies, hydraulic pressure )
* Pressure regulator is stuck
* ATF Strainer is clogged (Check this first)
Did you or do you know if the previous owner of the transmission had the valve body off? Did you replace the main shaft seal on the transmission?

Last edited by AccordVT; 07-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
Yo, I notice you're Hmong too.

I think something in the tranny might not be working properly like how it should.
yeap i am...

i figured that much out... lol...
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AccordVT
When it won't move, it revs just like it's in neutral?
The ATF fluid is full right? (Just covering the bases)
No flashing D4 light? (I know you said there were no codes)
What were the symptoms of the first transmission that failed?
Did you re-use the torque converter?
Are there any abnormal noises when moving it through gears and the engine running?
Any abnormal noises when it is driving for the short distance and then quits?
What sort of condition are the axles in? and are they fully "snapped" into the differential of the transmission?

fresh new honda fluid...
no d4 light...
dont know about the old one because it was dead and hauled to my house...
Yes i did reuse the old torque converter... ( i think that is the problem)
no noises... smooth like butter!...
axles are old but good... yes they are snapped in...

i have swapped out all the solenoids and the ecu, still same thing... now the only thing left to try is the torque converter... which i will install monday and see if that works...
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, my torque convertor took a dump on me on my 96 Accord. I would also check the hard fluid lines that goes into the tranny. When i replaced mine, the lines were kinked, which prevented fluid to be cooled.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, checking the cooler hard lines is a good idea. Flushing them and the cooler out doesn't hurt either. There is definitely a lack of hydraulic pressure for whatever reason. It might end up being the torque converter seeing as it drives the pump but if it's not the problem, it would suck to replace for nothing. If you can your best bet is to get your hands on an oil pressure gauge set or at least on oil pressure gauge and test the line pressure, clutch pressure and throttle b pressure. I think what is happening is there isn't enough fluid flowing into the torque converter. The turbine and stator don't have much fluid to throw and so it moves for a short period until pressure isn't high enough. It seems like the torque converter but I don't think it is.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AccordVT
Yeah, checking the cooler hard lines is a good idea. Flushing them and the cooler out doesn't hurt either. There is definitely a lack of hydraulic pressure for whatever reason. It might end up being the torque converter seeing as it drives the pump but if it's not the problem, it would suck to replace for nothing. If you can your best bet is to get your hands on an oil pressure gauge set or at least on oil pressure gauge and test the line pressure, clutch pressure and throttle b pressure. I think what is happening is there isn't enough fluid flowing into the torque converter. The turbine and stator don't have much fluid to throw and so it moves for a short period until pressure isn't high enough. It seems like the torque converter but I don't think it is.
lines are good...
i have done everything possible that i can think of and it all comes down to the torque converter... since that is the only thing left to do on the car... hahaha... its actually quiet easy to remove the trans, so its no big deal for me... should have the old one out and new one in monday night and let you guys know what happens...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok nothing seems to make the car work... lol...

i didnt get a chance to swap the torque converter, because the one i was going to use another guy took it...

so the car sat for a day, i started it this afternoon... worked like nothing ever went wrong... drove it for about an hour, shifted up and down gears, reverse everything works like it should... so i thought, on the way back home, i drove up a hill and just watched my rpms climb, loosing speed, no power, rpms keeps climbing...

the problem started all over again, turn car off, turn back on, works, go go go... this time i can actually go a about 10-20 yards before its in neutral again(meaning it wont do anything in any gear)...

turned off and on car all the way back home... checked for codes, nothing, checked all the solenoids and every thing is good... check fluid, good...

so i was talking to the owner about this and he said it was doing the same thing to him before it totally died on him...

anyone out there have any ideas as to whats happening???
Old 07-27-2010, 10:41 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vang
so i was talking to the owner about this and he said it was doing the same thing to him before it totally died on him...
It was doing this to him with the first transmission or the second one?
Originally Posted by vang
anyone out there have any ideas as to whats happening???
FWIW. When the '97 trans died in the '95 it had similar symptoms. Walk away for 5 mins come back and it would move, although changing from D4 or D3 to 2 or 1 would instantly kill it. Tried a flush with Dexron the fluid(why spend 8 bucks/quart on a questionable trans when you can get 2 gallons for 10) came out pretty dark, what was most disturbing was every time I pulled the plug there was a metallic blob of sludge on the magnetic drain plug. Still been meaning to crack the case to see what(if anything) broke, or if it just ate itself.

Have you tried flushing the trans yet?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
It was doing this to him with the first transmission or the second one?

FWIW. When the '97 trans died in the '95 it had similar symptoms. Walk away for 5 mins come back and it would move, although changing from D4 or D3 to 2 or 1 would instantly kill it. Tried a flush with Dexron the fluid(why spend 8 bucks/quart on a questionable trans when you can get 2 gallons for 10) came out pretty dark, what was most disturbing was every time I pulled the plug there was a metallic blob of sludge on the magnetic drain plug. Still been meaning to crack the case to see what(if anything) broke, or if it just ate itself.

Have you tried flushing the trans yet?

its doing it on both transmissions...

ive flushed it 3 times already...