Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord????????????

Got a little dilema with a muffler choice for my 97 Accord Lx. I had a Greddy Evo cat-back on it for over a year now. Well now I want to have something to tow my ATV around with so I bought a tow package for the Accord. Well the way the tow brace is setup it will NOT clear with a after market canister like the Evo. So what did I do....... cut it off! Now my question is, now that my car sounds like a swarm of angry bumble bees...does anyone know of a muffler that will clear the towing brace? I do not want to go back to a stock muffler because I already have this nice 2-1/2 inch piping all the way back and don't want to cram it into a 1-1/2 stock muffler inlet. I hear of Magnaflow being decent, and their mufflers are pretty small. I am thinking about having one of those welded on since they have 2-1/2 inlet / oulets. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (EuRoBrO)

Good answers!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (EuRoBrO)

Your not going to get that great of a responce since most of the people here don't have a hitch on their Accord. GL to you on finding what exhaust will work.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:59 PM

I would say a any aftermarket that will fit your space you need, like you said you got the piping already. If you got the funds to buy a brand name muffler do it. Magnaflow IMO are good enuff. Look into maybe a Remus or Borla, they might work too GL
Old 11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (MAXX941)

mmmm....i say magnafloooow....i have absolutely fell in love with them
Old 11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (rudeman85)

I dont about the muff or nuthin, but we can custom make you a tow hitch here at my shop that will clear even up to a classIII device.

Looks good...keep it up

Old 11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know but I also have the trailer hitch on my accord. I have the stock muffler and it fits. I like other mufflers but it seems people are starting to get tickets even for ones that are supposed to be legal so I figure I will probably keep my stock one or maybe add an Apexi if I have to replace my current one because the stock ones are expensive. I know because I have replaced it 2 times.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (hometheaterman)

I hope that you didn't pay for the second one. Factory Honda mufflers installed at the dealer come with a life time warranty.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (Namikuz)

My mom took the car both times it got one. The first time it was changed at a local tire and muffler shop the second time at the dealer and they charged her. I figured I voided warrenty by having it changed elsewhere. I could have changed it but didn't have time. I wasn't happy when she brought it home with another muffler though. So since it was installed at a dealer the last time does it have a lifetime warrenty?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What muffler with tow package on 5th Gen Accord???????????? (Namikuz)

I also think the dealer ripped us off because they sent the old muffler home with her and neither I nor her nor my grandfather could find a hole in it like they said. Although my grandfather said maybe at the weld but he really didn't think so and I didn't think it was one anywhere. Our local dealer sucks and since then have ripped some of the people I know off also.