Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What to do with 96 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with 96 Accord

Hello all,

I have a 1996 Accord EX and I'm at a crossroads with it. I have a 2007 BMW 335 that I'm going to turn/trade in next year. We had a baby after I got the BMW so my wife wants a SUV. Also, I'm going to get a Mini Cooper S more than likely to drive daily.

I'm the original owner of the Accord and I don't know if I should do some work to it to make it how I want it or let it go. It just pains me to leave it how it is currently - I've had a longer relationship with this car than with my wife. Here are some things about my car:

1. It has around 192,000 miles on it and I think it still runs fine. I had the compression checked a few years ago and everything was fine.
2. I have an Apexi WS II (I think) exhaust, I have headers and I have an AEM intake with dry filter.
3. I have it lowered. I forgot which springs and struts I have, but they were pretty good three years ago. It isn't slammed. The ride feels loose to me. I have a strut brace installed and a rear lower in the garage. Would the rear lower make enough of a difference? The strut brace I got is pretty generic; would a name-brand brace make a difference?
4. I have a short shifter (not the adapter), carbon fiber on the dash (installed in 1996!) and white gauges. I would want to get rid of the carbon fiber and make the interior look more stock/clean.
5. I have a stereo with SAT radio and iPod adapter - it is a pioneer DEH9800BT and doesn't charge my iPhone 3G.
6. It does need some body work and paint. I need a hood, would like new front and rear bumper covers, I have a few dings and it needs some body work by the rear driver's side tail light.
7. The seats and carpet are in good condition.
8. My wife is concerned about how safe it is with the baby since it is 13 years old.
9. If I don't fix the Accord up I'm going to buy another car. Even though I'm going to buy the Mini I want a third car with four doors. I would probably be looking at something in the $5000 neighborhood - I could put this into the Accord too.
10. If I fix the Accord up, I would be thinking about the insurance in the back of my mind. If I got into an accident, the insurance company isn't going to give me much.

This is an emotional decision for me. This has absolutely been the best purchase of my life and I want to either fix it or get rid of it.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Re: What to do with 96 Accord

As for the car i say keep it! I sold my first accord i ever owned a 96 lx and regret it...we all know hondas last forever with proper care and maintenance. Mini coopers are nice and all especially the super charged model but personally i cant fit crap in a mini.. As for asking peoples opinion to be honest this really isn't the site... their are a few cool people On here but most of the others just like to flame at ever thing any ones likes or just read every thread but never reply.. So again i say keep it and good luck
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

I would definately keep it, I mean you are the original owner so you know the car has clean history, so it is as safe as it is going to be. Also, as far as insurance goes for a 5k car you aren't going to get much no matter what car you get so just fix her up and keep calling her yours.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. Now I will have to make a list and start on bringing it back to life.

How hard is it to take the dash apart? I think I'm going to have to replace all the pieces that have the carbon fiber on them and I want to take the white gauges off or at least get new instrumentation lights. Are there bulbs that are brighter than factory? Maybe some LEDs or something cool white?

I think I'm also going to take the Pioneer out and find a deck that will charge the iPhone 3G. I would love to find another Pioneer since I have a Pioneer SAT radio and all that, but I don't know.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmda9
As for the car i say keep it! I sold my first accord i ever owned a 96 lx and regret it...we all know hondas last forever with proper care and maintenance. Mini coopers are nice and all especially the super charged model but personally i cant fit crap in a mini.. As for asking peoples opinion to be honest this really isn't the site... their are a few cool people On here but most of the others just like to flame at ever thing any ones likes or just read every thread but never reply.. So again i say keep it and good luck
What site do you frequent more?

Yeah, I know a duffel bag is going to be it for the Mini, but I'm just going to be driving to work and around the city. My wife is probably going to get a X5 so that will be the vehicle with space.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the carbon fiber interior? I am really interested to see how that looks! Wanna trade? lol
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

I say keep it. I kept mine and it has ended up as a great hobby car. Is this going to be a weekend cruising car?

If this is going to be a project car I would suggest getting a Honda shop manual. It will help you immensely. Specially when it comes to getting everything back together again

Sent you a PM
Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep it, give it to your wife, and take the X5. Those things are mean!

Secondly, why are you trading in the 335? I would love to own one of those.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dohctor_B
Keep it, give it to your wife, and take the X5. Those things are mean!

Secondly, why are you trading in the 335? I would love to own one of those.
I'm not a SUV kind of person so she can have at it.

I will be trading in the 335 because 1) the lease will be up next year 2) I want to trade it and then lease the X5 3) after having the Accord for so long I don't want a car for a long time and that is the reason I leased 4) after we relocated to Vegas the thrill is gone!

I have run-flat tires and the sports package which includes sports seats. We drove 1800 miles in it with a rear-facing baby seat in the back. Let's just say that wasn't the most comfortable trip. I have also grown tired of the version of iDrive I have in it; the 09s have a newer version.