Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Updated pics of Strut bar (unpainted)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated pics of Strut bar (unpainted)

Here are the updated pics of the finished strut bar for the 94-97 Accord they will be power coated black and come with all hardware. They will be ready for sale in a couple of weeks. They will be 150.00 dollars, please ask any questions if you have any. These are the only pics I have right now.

Accordhybrid
Old 06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (accordhybrid)

lemme know when you have one for 6th gen

Beautiful work!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (accordselux)

Let me know when you have it for a 4th gen Great job BTW
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (spankey167)

the holes don't look round, a little oblong...this could possibly affect the strut bar by letting it shift, correct? will the actual production pieces be like this as well???

also, will this bar fit over an h22???

and have you experimented with a neuspeed style design instead of the bracing just on the strut tower...i think you might get stiffer results out of such a design...

*edit:

what kind of testing has been done on this bar? have any comparisons been made to any other strut tower bracing against this brace?

does the brace need to be installed with load on the front wheels or no?

sorry for all the questions, but for $150 for a strut tower brace, i would hope that quite a bit of time has gone into the developement of such a product...i mean, cusco bars for the accord are cheaper than this...
Old 07-01-2004, 02:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (Nick H)

I would rather see the bar come straight down on top of the strut tower or more to the outside pushing weight back in towards the car
Old 07-01-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (urbanlegend21)

yea.....the mounting holes definantly look like theyd allow for play, and i dont think washers can come close to solving that issue. ive never drilled into a firewall....what does that require, just a basic metal driving bit??.......but id like to see some results from this, though the unit does look pretty damn beefy, $150 is alot for an untested product that has only limited potential to begin with
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (fw190bvi)

The holes are 1/16 of an inch wider so that when the bar is taken on and off it does not tear up the threads on the strut bolts. Also the firewall drilling that is needed is just a metal drill bit nothing fancy its really thin metal back there anyways that is why the bar is reinforced with a backing plate behind the firewall for strength.

Yes the bar does fit over the H22, the bar is stiffer than the neuspeed that I had on the car at first, but has not been tested against any other product. The bar can be installed with the car flat on the ground.

Accordhybrid
Old 07-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with both sides here...seems like $150 is a lot for an untested product...but then also how many people know how well a neuspeed or any other brand name product really has been tested? How can you tell from someone's opinion which one is really better.

That's why I hold to the fact that all strut bars basically do the same thing with small variances to their stability...the only problem is whether some break or not.

I might be completely wrong on this but it just doesn't seem that bolting anything to the thin fire wall will help stability much...or if any.

NONETHELESS, I think that design looks cool and props for making it yourself!
Old 07-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (2000Accord5sp)

Well the strut bar is bolted though a piece of metal though the firewall and then bolted to a 1/4 inch metal bracket on the backside of the firewall so it is supported.

Accordhybrid
Old 07-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$150... hmm. Looks nice, but I'll probably just stick with my $10 ebay strut bar
Old 07-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (pyrojeff)

150 would do it

if you make one for 6th gen accord with aluminum
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (iam7head)

I'll be working on a 6th gen in a little bit once the 5th gen gets going.

Well if ever want to upgrade your 10.00 ebay bar then let me know.

Accordhybrid
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people who keep asking him how is it tested and etc. blah blah blah need to leave. he is sharing his homemade product and offering to you. dont like it? then dont buy it. dont be complaining about it.

this is by far the best bar made for the accord that exists now. no other bar has a firewall brace. yes i have an ebay bar right now and it works just fine for the 15$ i paid for it. but this is also minimal in performance and stiffness compared to a solid steel bar.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:26 PM

Hey is there a way i can get an unfinished bar sent to me?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: (s.cali alan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">people who keep asking him how is it tested and etc. blah blah blah need to leave. he is sharing his homemade product and offering to you. dont like it? then dont buy it. dont be complaining about it.
this is by far the best bar made for the accord that exists now. no other bar has a firewall brace. yes i have an ebay bar right now and it works just fine for the 15$ i paid for it. but this is also minimal in performance and stiffness compared to a solid steel bar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that he ASKED for opinions / questions / comments? I think that's what he is getting, like it or not. It's a nice bar, but he's asking $50 more than what the Neuspeed strut bar costs. Price is something that you have to justify one way or another, that is, if you plan on making any sales.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (topspeed02)

Any reason that you want an unfinished bar?

Also the reason that the bar is 150.00 is:

-New to the market
-nothing like this for accords
-3 point design (no other has)
-Research and devolpment

BTW neuspeed retails at 120.00

Accordhybrid
Old 07-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RABBIT9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RABBIT9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought that he ASKED for opinions / questions / comments? I think that's what he is getting, like it or not. It's a nice bar, but he's asking $50 more than what the Neuspeed strut bar costs. Price is something that you have to justify one way or another, that is, if you plan on making any sales.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's also asking $50 less then the Benen tripod brace which isn't even available for Accords, only tegs and civics.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 AM
New User

Default Re: (accordhybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also the reason that the bar is 150.00 is:

-New to the market
-nothing like this for accords
-3 point design (no other has)
-Research and devolpment
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Back to my original question, though....what kind of research and developement has been done on this bar? I asked you this from the beginning and still have not gotten an answer...thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nick H)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Back to my original question, though....what kind of research and developement has been done on this bar? I asked you this from the beginning and still have not gotten an answer...thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably trying to copy the Benen bar and fabricate it to fit an Accord.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhAtBoY Si)

Ok explain to me what research needs to be done on a strut bar?

Heres what we did, we test fitted it on a 97 accord w/ an H22, checked clearance of hard lines, vaccum lines, etc...., drove the car for a month and then checked all welds and clearance again to insure nothing had moved around. Improved on a few things. Then put it on a stock 95 accord to check clearance there as well.

How much research needs to be done on a strut bar? How much research do the ebay bar people put into there bars?

Accordhybrid
Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok explain to me what research needs to be done on a strut bar?

Heres what we did, we test fitted it on a 97 accord w/ an H22, checked clearance of hard lines, vaccum lines, etc...., drove the car for a month and then checked all welds and clearance again to insure nothing had moved around. Improved on a few things. Then put it on a stock 95 accord to check clearance there as well.

How much research needs to be done on a strut bar? How much research do the ebay bar people put into there bars?

Accordhybrid</TD></TR></TABLE>

what were saying is, does it justify spending $100+ more than one on eba, for a part that has only limited performance potential. im not saying its not worth the money, because ovbiously, this is a unique and special item, and thus commands the "higher" price. basicall, what i would want to know is this: does it make THAT much of a difference?? of course, in a perfect world, id buy one right now.....but i can justify spenidnd $100+ more w/o knowing how much better it performs.....

chasis dyno?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:27 PM

Look, I'm not knocking this bar in any way. It "*could*" be the best bar ever made, and it's up to the manufacturer to prove it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's also asking $50 less then the Benen tripod brace which isn't even available for Accords, only tegs and civics.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's your point?

The Benen brace is manufacturered by one of the top suspension companies. They've got engineers with CAD software, and a nice R&D department.

"The front tripod brace was designed to utilize factory mounting holes in order to brace the front strut towers and eliminate deflection by triangulating the parts that are flexing."

So let's break this down.
1) Qualification to design the strut bar in the first place.
2) Factory fitment without modification.
3) The ability to measure the deflection / flex of the strut towers for a specific vehicle, and triangulate the strut towers to a referenced support point.

Yeah, I'd say that the Benen strut bar is worth the two bills their asking.

Now, applying the same question to this strut bar we get:

-New to the market.....Doesn't mean jack.
-nothing like this for accords.....
-3 point design (no other has).....Design qualification?
-Research and devolpment.....Equipment used for design verification and measurements?

Basic research and development questions would be:
1) Thickeness of the tube.
2) Placement of the arches relative to the mounting points.
3) Reference point for attachment to the firewall.

These are the type of questions that people that are going to shell out $150-$200 for a strut bar will be asking; expectations are relative to price, and your on the high end of the scale. If you just bought some tubing at the hardware store and welded it up so that it wouldn't "hit" anything, that's cool.

Modified by RABBIT9 at 12:07 AM 7/3/2004
Old 07-02-2004, 01:08 PM

hey man, if that thing is for the 94-97 accords, when you get them into production, i'll buy one, if it bolts to a piece of metal behind the firewall then stability shouldnt be a factor, but yea, good job on coming up with it on your own!
Old 07-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll be working on a 6th gen in a little bit once the 5th gen gets going.

Well if ever want to upgrade your 10.00 ebay bar then let me know.

Accordhybrid</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey, sure, I'll get one off you if you make one with aluminum

and my ebay bar was 17dollar and i love every penny spent, willow spring tested and my butt approved
Old 07-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Updated pics of Strut bar (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey, sure, I'll get one off you if you make one with aluminum

and my ebay bar was 17dollar and i love every penny spent, willow spring tested and my butt approved </TD></TR></TABLE>

butt dyno is teh win!

is that 150 + shipping?