Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Which transmissions will fit on a 95 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which transmissions will fit on a 95 Accord?

Hey so my sisters automatic 1995 Honda Accord Lx transmission blew. We were looking into getting it rebuilt or replaced by a professional but the cost was a bit to much for what the cars worth. I've thought about going to a scapper and finding a second hand transmission and putting it in myself. Does anyone know which Transmissions from other model Honda's or that will just bolt on.

I've looked at a Same year Odyssey and was curious if this would just bolt straight on. It's the same engine. (F22B)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Which transmissions will fit on a 95 Accord?

94-95 Accord. All automatic models except V6.
95 or earlier Odyssey will probably work too but the gear ratios may be different.

Anything 96+ will be OBD2 and have different connectors/wiring setup which won't work.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That applies slightly to the engine. The F22B1/2 have a different location for the crank sensor/dizzy set up for OBDII. From other threads, basically all automatic transmissions from 90-97 will bolt up correctly from Odyssey to Prelude to Accord using an F-series transmission (H4 type models). Mad Mike would know the intricacies/pitfalls of what to look for.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

I wasn't sure on the 96-97s which is why I didn't list them. I know the OBD2 change brought some differences but I'm not sure how similar they are to the OBD1 cars.

For the 90-93 Accords and 92-96 Preludes, they have some sport mode functions or something IIRC that the 94-97s did not have but I'm not sure if that's a hardware thing or something strictly in the TCU.

I'm not totally well read into the automatics so maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:04 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwiz
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Transmission type you need is an H4A. But they all have different four letter codes on the car code to identify their application.
90-97 Accord 2.2 transmissions will interchange. 90-93 have slightly different gear ratios and wagons have different final drive ratios.(AOYA, BOYA, MPOA, PX4B, etc etc)
97 Acura CL 2.2. Similar, if not same, gear ratios as the Accord.
95-97 2.2 Ody(Isuzu Oasis) transmission will also work.(MPJA) Gear ratios really wake up the car. Only downside is the engine will be 3Krpm @70MPH and 4Krpm @80MPH. With the EX B1 engine it puts the car right into the power band at highway speeds, no need to downshift just roll into the throttle and you are gone.
92-96 Preludes.(MP1A, MP1A-1) These come with lower gear ratios also great for acceleration, MP1A-1 trans have a limited slip differential.

OBDII does not affect the transmission. You can use a 96-97 H4A transmission. Just make sure it is a 2.2 engine as the 2.3 engines used the later 98-02 transmission M6HA.

BTW, did the transmission really 'blow up' or did it simply stop working? If the trans is making howling/whining sounds but there are no gears functioning then it may simply be a clog.
If there transmission was working fine and then just quit in all gears, then it is most likely the sump pickup is clogged and needs to be cleaned out.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50667457
Tyler was awesome enough to share his findings.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
BTW, did the transmission really 'blow up' or did it simply stop working?
I assume its blown up, the fluid smells extremely burnt. None of the gears work at all but the car will slowly creep forward. Funny thing is, she got it a full service the week before and on the receipt it says they’ve used a synthetic transmission fluid. I heard some people have had problems with synthetic type oils. Could this possibly just be the issue? What’s the best fluid for these type of transmission?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Honda ATF is the ONLY fluid that should ever be used in a Honda automatic transmission. Call the shop that did the service and verify the exact kind of fluid they used. If they did not use Honda ATF, they may owe you a transmission.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turns out they used this fluid. Not sure if it fine to use or not. They said it's for these models so I assume all is fine.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure it has to be Honda ATF or you run the risk of ruining your tranny.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

I have never heard of that ATF but it does say it's formulated for Hondas. Personally I would not use it as in my experience anything but Honda Genuine fluid is a recipe for disaster.

Since your fluid smells burnt you may try to do a few drain and fills with Honda Genuine fluid and see if it helps. Might be worth a shot since replacing a transmission is a pretty big job.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:18 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwiz
I assume its blown up, the fluid smells extremely burnt. None of the gears work at all but the car will slowly creep forward. Funny thing is, she got it a full service the week before and on the receipt it says they’ve used a synthetic transmission fluid. I heard some people have had problems with synthetic type oils. Could this possibly just be the issue? What’s the best fluid for these type of transmission?e
The transmission needs to be drained, refilled, driven 3X to get the majority of the fluid out. There is no pan or access to the filter.So you end up diluting and dumping the old fluid to get a majority of new fluid into the transmission. It is critical that the trans be actually drained as junk/gunk in the sump needs to be removed, otherwise it can buildup and the sump may become impacted with worn clutch material which will block the sump.

Highly unlikely 4th gear was blown up. Only clutch pack that you cannot manually actuate via the shifter is 3rd gear clutch pack.
1 will activate 1st gear clutch pack
2 will activate 2nd gear clutch pack
R will activate 4th gear clutch pack.
If the car does not move or barely moves in R I would suspect the sump pickup i merely impacted with junk.
If there is howling/whining coming from the bellhousing area with the engine running at idle, it is most likely the AT pump is cavitating. No fluid flow, no trans go.

Although the owners manual in the later 94-97 cars say to use Honda ATF and Dexron II can be used 'temporarily', the FSM states Honda ATF OR Dexron II can be used in the transmission.
Dexron II has been superceeded buy Dexron(DEX) III, although both are out of license from GM, you can more readily find a generic DEX III in the auto parts stores.
I personally do not care for 'multi-purpose' ATFs. If the trans calls for Dexron, just use Dexron or a generic Dexron.

I highy doubt your sister was capable of burning up the fluid in short order. Unless she drag races and stages the car at every stop light, highly unlikely she did it. More likely the shop didn't change out the fluid or change it out completely.

Check the level of the fluid in the trans, If it is full I would simply drain the fluid yourself ~2-3 litres will come out. If it is goopy and black, that is fluid that has never been changed.
How many miles/kilometers are on the car? Generic Dexron II/III is usually pretty cheap.

If you are handy with measuring and a drill, I would opt to do the Tyler method and drill out the bottom of the case where the sump is. Clean it out with brake cleaner to remove the impacted material. Also have the sump open/drained and spray out any gunk/junk that may be in the sump. Tap and plug the sump pickup hole. Refill the transmission with fluid and see if the trans starts to work again.

If the transmission is toast, they are still readily available used from Japan. I've had quotes of $3K US to rebuild this transmission. A low mileage JDM unit can be had for a few hundred.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:37 PM
Trial User

Default Re: just a question

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
The transmission needs to be drained, refilled, driven 3X to get the majority of the fluid out. There is no pan or access to the filter.So you end up diluting and dumping the old fluid to get a majority of new fluid into the transmission. It is critical that the trans be actually drained as junk/gunk in the sump needs to be removed, otherwise it can buildup and the sump may become impacted with worn clutch material which will block the sump.

Highly unlikely 4th gear was blown up. Only clutch pack that you cannot manually actuate via the shifter is 3rd gear clutch pack.
1 will activate 1st gear clutch pack
2 will activate 2nd gear clutch pack
R will activate 4th gear clutch pack.
If the car does not move or barely moves in R I would suspect the sump pickup i merely impacted with junk.
If there is howling/whining coming from the bellhousing area with the engine running at idle, it is most likely the AT pump is cavitating. No fluid flow, no trans go.

Although the owners manual in the later 94-97 cars say to use Honda ATF and Dexron II can be used 'temporarily', the FSM states Honda ATF OR Dexron II can be used in the transmission.
Dexron II has been superceeded buy Dexron(DEX) III, although both are out of license from GM, you can more readily find a generic DEX III in the auto parts stores.
I personally do not care for 'multi-purpose' ATFs. If the trans calls for Dexron, just use Dexron or a generic Dexron.

I highy doubt your sister was capable of burning up the fluid in short order. Unless she drag races and stages the car at every stop light, highly unlikely she did it. More likely the shop didn't change out the fluid or change it out completely.

Check the level of the fluid in the trans, If it is full I would simply drain the fluid yourself ~2-3 litres will come out. If it is goopy and black, that is fluid that has never been changed.
How many miles/kilometers are on the car? Generic Dexron II/III is usually pretty cheap.

If you are handy with measuring and a drill, I would opt to do the Tyler method and drill out the bottom of the case where the sump is. Clean it out with brake cleaner to remove the impacted material. Also have the sump open/drained and spray out any gunk/junk that may be in the sump. Tap and plug the sump pickup hole. Refill the transmission with fluid and see if the trans starts to work again.

If the transmission is toast, they are still readily available used from Japan. I've had quotes of $3K US to rebuild this transmission. A low mileage JDM unit can be had for a few hundred.
hello mad mike can i ask you something im new to the site i have a question ive seen alot of posts with you on different honda forums i have a 96 honda accord lx it has the f22b2 in it non vtech i bought the car fairly cheap but the tranny was gone it was a aoya so i bought a wrecked parts car and pulled engine and tranny out i put the new parts car tranny in it lasted about 7 months it was a boya the tq worked bolted to the flexplate everything worked fine worked for 7 8 months so now im in the same boat at first i thawt it was the tq converter so i bought a brand new one for the boya tranny i dropped it put it in still in same boat so a week ago i go to manasses va get a jdm tranny off of a f22b i have it here now but i didnt get the flexplate i know that the boya is a half inch or so smaller my question is can i use my brand new tq converter for the boya TRANNY IN MY MPJA TRANNY ?? sorry for the old post its my first time posting anthing i just wanted to ask ive read several of your imputs on this honda form please help me man i appreciate it ..