Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slipping

Its a 97! I've driven my Accord v6 for 4 years I love it - its fun. I was told it was supposed to jump while it shifted even though it is automatic (no problem with that so long as it shifted). Okay, so, last year I was told the ticking noise was the trans. and the only thing to do was wait until it failed. Put new tires on the front last week and now the noise is worse and the mechanic said I should have it checked out. Who's right? Wait until it goes or is there something that can be done? Also, how come a 97 with 65,000 miles has a failing trans?
Old 09-25-2002, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: transmission slipping (Karyn)

Get a transmission drain and fill. (hondas you do not flush) And see if that helps out. Should only cost 40 bucks or so.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:01 AM

Default Re: transmission slipping

Drained the fluid and refilled last year (about 10,000 miles ago) it was a little quieter then but still ticking. How often should I do this?
Old 09-25-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drained the fluid and refilled last year (about 10,000 miles ago) it was a little quieter then but still ticking. How often should I do this?

30k....hmmm. Could you possibly describe the noise? Does it do it while turning? Accelerating/decelerating etc.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Re: transmission slipping (Accord94DX)

Definately when my foot is off the gas. Pretty obvious when I'm coasting down hill. I can't hear it when I'm accellerating above 20mph.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:13 AM

Default Re: transmission slipping (Accord94DX)

Definately when my foot is off the gas. Pretty obvious when I'm coasting down hill. I can't hear it when I'm accellerating above 20mph. It's pretty hard to discribe the noise accept it isn't really a clear tick noise - more like a chhhhh chhhhh chhhh sound. Thought it was my brakes before the tech said he thought it could be the trans (said I'd need to bring it to the dealer for that). Never had it to the dealer to have the trans checked... but did have the brakes checked and the fronts replaced after the trans fluid change didn't help. It wasn't the brakes making the noise either..
Old 09-25-2002, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately when my foot is off the gas. Pretty obvious when I'm coasting down hill. I can't hear it when I'm accellerating above 20mph.

Haven't got a clue. Best thing I could tell you is to take it to honda and have them run a diagnosis. It could cost anywhere between 80 and 100 dollars depending where you live and what they charge per labor hour.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM

Questions:

Is the sound rhythmic? or sporatic?

If rhythmic does it change with engine speed or vehicle speed?

What happens if you're coasting and you drop it into Neutral?

Does turning affect the sound?

Note: as a Newbie you're approahing your daily limit. If required just go back and edit your last post.....
Old 09-25-2002, 07:34 AM

Default Re: transmission slipping (greensleeper)

It's rythmic and it is slower as I reduce speed. When I'm coasting and drop it into neutral it feels like something is moving against the coast - does that make sense? I mean like if you have a wheel spinning - like when you flip your bike upside down and someone puts their palm against it. Sometimes it is a harsh force and the car feels jerky and I quickly put it back into drive. I don't know what happens when I'm turning except that usually when I turn I put my foot on the gas and the noise seems to start to go away (or I can't hear it as well) when I'm accellerating.

Yeah, I ran out of posts. So, hey - I'd rather avoid the stealership. I'll ride it til it dies - and keep up with the rest - oil,brakes, tires etc... Thanks for the help - just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that could be helped. Oh, and hope this isn't a stupid question but if the automatic trans dies can I drive it like a manual trans - and shift?

[Modified by Karyn, 4:51 PM 9/25/2002]
Old 09-25-2002, 07:44 AM

When I'm coasting and drop it into neutral it feels like something is moving against the coast - does that make sense
no really the motor shoudl produce more drag when coasting in drive not in neutral. strange.

the best I can say is to repeat the advice of others. take it to the stealership. but they'll charge you 100 bucks to tell you nothing or say that they have to take it apart and charge more. either way its a lose/lose situation. if it shifts fine and reliably gets you from A to B and back again. Just ride it til it dies.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unfortunatly the best way to fix an automagic is when it breaks unless its some common problem or the ecu is signaling a solenoid.

diagnosing an automatic typically requires disassembly and looking for messed up bands and clutchpacks etc.... a lot easier when something is BROKE.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]Oh, and hope this isn't a stupid question but if the automatic trans dies can I drive it like a manual trans - and shift?QUOTE]

No.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:52 AM

Default Re: transmission slipping (Gen4-5Door)

Oh, and hope this isn't a stupid question but if the automatic trans dies can I drive it like a manual trans - and shift?.
heh. definately not.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 AM

Back from the dead......similar issue.

For a while from 72k miles til present 110k miles, my tranny has been acting funny but still hasnt given up...

Symptoms:
- Doesnt seem to want to shift down well while decelerating, what i mean is that say Im in traffic and it stops, I hit the gas to go again and it seems like the tranny is slipping, but in fact im pretty sure its trying to start out in 2nd and doesnt seems like its trying too hard and not going anywhere, at least like it should...it always eventually gets up to speed

- Hard downshifts when braking around a low MPH corner...i can actually feel it downshift, very promounced and watch the RPMS go up

- Sometimes when i lay on partial throttle from a stop and then gas it good 80% or so throttle, the tranny seems to try and **** down fast and give out a little clunk feeling and then takes off good and goes

Should I just run it til she goes? Would there be chunks in my Tranny Fluid if I filtered it out the next time i change it?

Any words of wisdom or experience?

Thansk

Everything is stock BTW
Old 12-01-2003, 12:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: transmission slipping (xenocron)

I would check your CV boots if you haven't already also Honda has extended the warrenty to 100K on the 6th generation 98-02 V6 tranny due to a high (for Honda) failure rate of 2.5%

yes the honda wants to start off in 2nd of you have not come to a complete stop... the 4cyl cars do the same thing lung into first after tring to stay in second from a slow down but not stop and take off again on a light throttle
Old 12-01-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Re: transmission slipping (YeuEmMaiMai)

Its a four cylinder, shoulda said that. All honda automatics try and start in 2nd...hmm thats interesting. Wonder why the engineers design it that way?

Do other makes do the same thing?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: transmission slipping (xenocron)

if you come to a complete stop the car will start out in first gear but if you are comming to a stop and the car has not downshifted into first and you start to accellerate, the car will try to stay in second but once the throttle gets to a certain point it definately lunges into first. I have a 1994 that does that every once in a while.....I have not seen the V6 cars act like that though..........