Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Transmission problems!! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems!! Help please

I have a 1994 Honda Accord Ex...Automatic..I posted something about this a few weeks ago but Im still not sure what the problem is...One night i was driving hit a huge pot hole..2 minutes later sounded like something fell out of my car and then a few minutes later it was acting like it was in neutral..made it home barely...if it sets for a while it will drive for a minute and then start messing up again...so It has been sitting in the street for a good while now..so the other day me and my friend decided to try and push it up my driveway and into the basement garage well we couldnt do it so i just got in it..put it in drive and it drove fine up the driveway...my uncle told me to change the transmission fluid and the oil and that might fix it..so i did that..the transmission fluid was black and really thick..and i know its supposed to be red ..so I changed that and the oil...drove it around the block and it did fine at first but then started messing up again..reverse works fine and I just cant figure it out...my uncle also said I might need to replace my transmssion filter that is internal..but im not so sure that will fix it...do you all think that will fix it or do u think that my transmission is just gone? please help
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission problems!! Help please (lowered94accord)

First of all I don't believe honda's have internal filters. Second it sounds like it could be your torque converter.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Transmission problems!! Help please (1 Fly SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 Fly SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all I don't believe honda's have internal filters. Second it sounds like it could be your torque converter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do have internal filters. But to change it, you need to open up the tranny. And if you open it up, you might as well rebuild it.

Reverse works fine, so how can it be the TC?

Check the tranny fluid again and see if its still red. Another drain/refill might help, but it seems like your tranny is gone.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your Axles.................you might have knocked one loose and that would cause your car to act like it was in Neutral........

Filters on these transmissions are not user servicable.....all you can do is a drain and fill or flush....
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Transmission problems!! Help please (YeuEmMaiMai)

how much do you all think a rebuild kit would be for this transmission..my uncle can do it for me..hes gonna take it apart and see what all parts he needs to buy but around how much do u think the rebuild kit will cost?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 AM

also someone told me the transaxle rod may be broken could that be it?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) if your trans fluid was black... you might have done more harm by changing it.
2) Diagnosing this problem over the internet, will take a few more details. What parts of your car felt like they hit pavement when you went through the pothole? What sounded like it "fell off"? How does the car physically look from underneath?
3) Why would a smack to the bottom of your car, make the fluids go bad? You broke something, or knocked something loose.
4) Stop listening to your uncle.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (TOAB)

it wasnt completely black just really dark brown..so i changed it..which i was told to do..and i put it through the gears while it was up on jacks a few times..and now its dark brown again...the whole bottom of my car sounded like it hit the ground cuz my car is lowered 2.5" and the underneath of my car looks fine nothing looks loose or banged up at all..as someone said before there might be an axle loose or popped out.i Checked that and i wasnt sure so i took pictures and took them to a local mechanic and he said they seemed to be in fine..but of course pictures arent everything...i dont know how to tell so if you could tell me how to check that would be grand...and my uncle is a mechanic so Im pretty sure i should listen to him..he told there is some sore of pressure holes on the tranny that you can check with some sort of gauge and he is going to do that before we drop the tranny..but other than that i dont know what is gone..he says my clutch is slipping and is probably gone... thats probably what the whining noise is he told me