Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Are these halogen bulbs worth the $$$$ ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these halogen bulbs worth the $$$$ ??

I need to replace the headlight assemblies on the 94 Accord, getting skaggy. Will be using OEM lenses (the originals lasted 12+ years/don't care about upgrade looks) but could use better bulbs (Halogen) for better light output.

Saw Koito brand bulbs on a site. Street legal/white light/OEM wattage but strong light output (OEM bulbs always slightly weak). Stated 3750K light color. The price is $40/set, or $80 for both high/low beam sets.

This is $$$ money for bulbs, so are they worth it? The OEM's last a long, long time (around 5 years), so are these good bulbs, and do they have a long life?

I don't mind spending the $$$ if they have a decent life, but if they don't, the price is not worth it.

Are they b.s. hype, or are they worth the money?? Auto parts stores sell halogens (GE/Sylvania/etc) for less, so are these worth the money or high-priced due to light color and hype?? Wrenchy

Thanks for the replies. The E-Bay site showed something the other site didn't- the Koito come in both "pure-white" and "yellow-white" hues.

Seems most of you lean towards the "pure-white", which is what I would have chosen. And the comment RE "not having been flashed" with the bulbs very, very good, important in areas like this city where the police will stop you for anything, just to be able to pull the ticket-book out and start writing tickets (the main reason I didn't even look at the HID setups- I can see they improve the looks of the car, but I would end up getting a "fix-it" ticket and end up removing them, this is one big reason I am staying with the OEM lense-units).

Young people can learn something here- the HID units are very nice, but around here would get you pulled over, the same for any exhaust system that is loud. It's about REVENUE. The local police here write tickets to raise revenue (tax bucks) for the city, so anything on your car that attracts attention will end up being a headache (I realize cities are different, that's just how it is here).

So you learn how to improve the car to not attract attention. Use stock OEM light-lenses instead of very bright HID lenses and upgrade the bulbs, for instance.

Shop around for a cat-back system that gives the "flow" you need, but runs reasonably quiet (the systems do exist).

Before shelling out $$$ for this type stuff, ask around and find out what the police are like in your area, and if you have to "play the game". If the local police are clones of Hitler's brown-shirts, design/buy parts to "stay under the radar".

And I really don't have anything against police- it's like any other profession, you have good cops and bad cops. The last guy that nailed me only needed knee-high jack-boots and SS symbols on his lapels for his uniform to match his attitude. Wrenchy

Modified by wrenchy at 3:06 PM 11/28/2006
Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Are these halogen bulbs worth the $$$$ ?? (wrenchy)

Pick em up for 15 bucks here.. Then do the 9006-9005 switch.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Looks like a good thing to me..
Old 11-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Are these halogen bulbs worth the $$$$ ?? (mtnwkr)

****, I may even pick myself up a pair.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't heard that brand at all but I have been using Silverstars for awhile and will be purchasing the Silverstar Ultras for my new set of lights

I believe the brightest lights out there are like HIR lights - infrared coated bulbs or something of that nature but the Silverstars are the whiter look and the Ultras are supposedly even more white and brighter than that
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are these halogen bulbs worth the $$$$ ?? (mtnwkr)

Whats the price of converting to 9005? Not to familiar with lighting setups.
Anyway. at a store they have the 9006s for 25$
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-33141.cfm
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the bulbs are the same price for 9006/9005 so that isn't an issue, I'm assuming it'd be a DIY from there so no cost really at all
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

You put brighter bulbs where dimer bulbs used to be, therefor giving off more light.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1667504
I had this in my old cd5 and there was a great noticeable difference, and I never once had anyone flash there lights at me.