Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension opinions

I'm currently shopping for a new suspension setup for my 97 coupe. I do use this car as a daily driver so I don't want it to be too low & I don't want it too stiff. I do have another car that I could drive during the winter months, so that isn't something I need to worry about. I don't know anyone who even has an aftermarket suspension on their accord, so I have no way of trying these out first hand. I'm torn between 2 different setups. Either the H&R full coilover kit or the Neuspeed super cup kit (Koni sport w. neuspeed race springs). I can get both for about the same price, so I'm beyond the cost factor. I like the fact that both setups have ride height adjustability. The H&R's have the fully threaded shock body & the Neuspeed Koni's have 5 grooves to adjust the spring collar. I guess the main difference is in the Koni's have the ability to adjust the rebound dampening, where the H&R's don't. I have read that the neuspeed race springs that come with the neuspeed kit are a little harsh, but if I don't like them. I could always swap them out for the sport version at a later date. I guess the main question here is how much that dampening adjustment really helps as far as the ride quality? I know this is an opinion related question, & that everyones idea of too stiff is different. I guess what I'm really looking for here is for people that have these setups on their car, & what they think now that they are riding on these things everyday. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension opinions

I would go with the H&R setup. It's best to get a complete setup like that since everything was made to work together. This question is kinda hard to answer cause like you said it's all opinion.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not too low and you are looking for coilovers?

if you are looking for a not too low approach and close to stock ride feeling. ThenI would suggest getting Tein H-techs or Eibachs Pro Line springs and you can use ur stock shock.

Then again if you are looking for full coilover then you have the option of raising or lowering it and adjust the stiffness.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like any other coilover, most of them tend to be pretty stiff, due to the wide range of suspension set up they can provide. If you want some pretty stock ride with some performance and looks, you might want to try getting some regular springs.

I agree with bopbop93030 with the Eibach Pro Kits. I have prokits with stock shocks on my DD, 96 EX coupe. The ride is closer to stock rather than sports springs, but it still gives that stiff feel, the good kind. I would recommend getting some aftermarket shocks as the stock one gives a little too much stroke. That way you get full potential.

So far, I got pretty good cornering speed, less swaying, more comfortable ride than the stock surprisingly.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your input guys. After looking again @ the neuspeed website. I noticed that I can get the Super cup kit with the neuspeed sport springs instead of the race springs. I think this is the way I'm gonna go due to the fact that it will keep the ride height within the range I'm looking for. And from what I've read from alot of people who have the sport springs. They are probably closer to the ride quality for a daily driver that I'm looking for.