Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Squeaky front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky front end

I have a 2001 Accord with 147K on it. In the morning when I get in it to drive off to work it squeaks on the smallest bumps. It sounds like its coming from drivers side at the top of the strut but at times it sounds like its in the middle of the car, weird I know but maybe its my ears. Anyway, the noise is gone without fail every single day before I get even get a mile down the road. And it doesn't do it again the rest of the day unless I work really late and its gotten cold again.

I replaced the front struts with Monroe all in one(strut/spring combos) last March due to another squeaking noise. That noise went away. About 2-3 months ago I replaced both upper control arm assemblies, both lower control arms, both stabilizer end links, both lower ball joints and both outer tie rod ends. I was troubleshooting a different squeaky clunking noise than I currently am, which is now gone. Reason I replaced all of that stuff was because while troubleshooting the squeak I discovered almost all of those parts were shot, however, some I replaced just so both sides would match. I replaced all those with Moog parts. After replacing, the squeaky clunk went away and this new squeak arrived, or became apparent because I couldn't hear it over the other. I've greased all the fittings several times, no difference. It sounds like something is loose up there in a bushing, but I can't find anything.

Also, I've checked and double checked the motor mounts as I've had 2 different shops tell me I have 2 cracked motor mounts. I replaced one that was bad but the other turned out to be both shops trying to fix stuff that's not broken because when I got it off, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Could it be a CV joint or the inner tie rod ends? I don't know how to check those. One thing that comes to mind is that I reused all the original bolts as the new parts didn't come with any, I did use all new castle buts etc. that they did some with. Perhaps it's one of the bolts going through a bushing causing it?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Squeaky front end

Remove the front sway bar bushings, make sure they are clean and free of dirt, put some dishwashing liquid on interface between bar and bushing, and if it is hard to reinstall use some on the bracket interface as well. If the noise goes away and then comes back, time for new sway bar bushings.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the suggestion MAD_MIKE. I finally had a chance and replaced the sway bar bushings with some new ones. It made no difference in the squeak. Good news is that they looked like they needed to be replaced anyway and they were cheap. Bad news, while I was waiting for a chance to do it, the squeaking has gotten worse, i.e. it's lasting much longer and is doing it at other times rather than just in the morning when its cold.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be a couple things. you would need another person to bounce the car and see if the noise is there and maybe you can pinpoint it.
I suggest upper control arm pivot bushings, or coil spring isolators.
or could be a ball joint lacking lubricant.
hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll try the second person bouncing technique while sitting in the car. Bouncing it myself and listening doesn't have any noise audible from the outside of the car. I've replaced the upper control arms and they came with new bushings. I've also replaced the front struts with Monroe quick struts about 9 months ago. They came with upper/lower isolators already installed so I would think they'd be fine, but, they could be crap. The noise definitely sounds like it comes from the strut area most of the time. Sometimes it sounds more like under the middle of the car roughly where the stabilizer bar is. But, aside from replacing relatively new strut assemblies, not sure what to try with those to rule them out.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ej7attack, I started doing some googling about squeaky Monroe Quick Struts, because I got thinking about your suggestion of the isolators, and it appears that is a known and common problem with the Quick Struts. Supposedly they fixed it a few years ago, but people are saying its not really fixed.

Has any body has this issue and been able to resolve it without replacing it? I haven't run across anything googling yet, other than replacing them with other brands.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best thing to do is to take it to an oil change place so you can get under the car and listen while someone pushes on either side. I'm sure they'll let you take a quick listen to narrow it. Use a rolled up piece of paper to help narrow it down.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Trial User

Can the drivers side upper ball joint be replaced without replacing the control arm? Probably factory set-up and hasn't ever been changed yet. I do have a press if needed. Also, how do you get the bolts out of the control arm? Looks like the spring is in the way.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rmacinc, I don't know for sure if you can get just the ball joint for the upper. When I got mine, all I saw was the arm/ball joint sold all together. So, probably not. I had to remove the spring/strut assembly to get mine out. It depends on if the coils are in the way or not and if you can get the bolts out or not. The spring assembly isn't hard to get out. There's a half dozen or so bolts under the hood and one or two at the bottom and it basically falls out. Reinstalling is just the reverse. It's probably easier to just remove the spring assembly than futzing around with trying to get those bolts out in between the springs. Gives you more room to work and less cussing!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same issue and bouncing on the car and also turning the steering wheel would make a squeak noise. I replaced the lower ball joint and all was well. I also replaced everything listed above and it was the lower ball joint.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the time you can just separate the ball joint and move it with your hands and you will hear or feel the creaking if the ball joint is bad.