Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

sputtering and backfiring problems!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sputtering and backfiring problems!?

Hi guys! So I am new to this forum and I just had a question hoping maybe someone can help with. I recently picked up a 1996 honda accord ex with a JDM h22a motor swap out of a 97 prelude. When I am driving, or if im just standing still and rev it, the car will sometimes stutter as if its hitting rev limiter but its only at like 2000rpm. Also, while its stuttering it will go through a series of backfires. If you keep the throttle wide open for about 45 seconds it will do its sputtering and backfiring and then go back to being perfectly fine. Ive noticed that right before its about to stutter the tach will go all crazy and fluctuate and the gas isn't even being pressed. If any one has any suggestions of what I can check or any ideas of what it might be I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you in advance!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sputtering and backfiring problems!?

sounds like bent valves. what ecu are you using?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Without knowing the health of the engine or the ECU or tune that you are running. I would look at the basics.

Basic things to check;
• Health of the engine, do a compression test/leak down test
• Ignition components, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil
• Fuel components, injectors, filter and fuel pressure regulator
• Timing
• Valve adjustment (bent valves)
Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want to start off by saying thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I dont know what Ecu is in it to be honest. The guy said it was chipped and tuned with 'crome'? It was an even trade for my truck bc I was trying to sell my truck but noone was biting at it so I only did the trade bc I figured it would be easier to sell but with this problem im not too sure about that. Also would those things you guys suggested cause that tach problem? Bc of that I was thinking it might have something to do with the wiring harness bc I noticed that one of the wires was spliced together in like 3 different spots. (The wiring harness under the distributor and stuff. Not sure which one it is) the problem doesnt occur at the same time always either its hit or miss whenever it feels like doing it. Also I noticed there is a slight ticking you can hear when the car is running but I just assumed it was the injectors. Could that be the bent valves?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ticking is usually valves. but u also want to check out the ecu. Honda Accord ECUs arent supposed to run H22A engines. it should be a easy fix. just google it
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check what ecu you have, confirmed its been chipped by removing it and opening the ecu. second thing i would do is change the whole engine harness hack jobs will give you trouble down the road trust me
Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NerfGunner420
i would check what ecu you have, confirmed its been chipped by removing it and opening the ecu. second thing i would do is change the whole engine harness hack jobs will give you trouble down the road trust me
Ok so I pulled out the ecu nd took the cover off but im not sure how to check if its chipped or not. Also I dont kno how to tell what ecu it is. How do you tell?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It should have a label or bar code on the side of it .
Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

The ECU number will be the one that starts with 37820-***-*** There should be a barcode sticker on the side of the box and once you remove the cover there should also be one on the inside on top of the grey wire connector.

How to tell if it is chipped or not is easy as well.

Looking at the circuit board of the ECU with the wire connector to the left. the section that is modified to run an EEPROM chip is the area on the bottom right, as highlighted in red in this picture.

if the ECU has been chipped you will find a 28 pin EEPRON chip over the area numbered 27256 and another smaller chip in the area labeled 74HC373.

Similar to this one;
Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
The ECU number will be the one that starts with 37820-***-*** There should be a barcode sticker on the side of the box and once you remove the cover there should also be one on the inside on top of the grey wire connector.

How to tell if it is chipped or not is easy as well.

Looking at the circuit board of the ECU with the wire connector to the left. the section that is modified to run an EEPROM chip is the area on the bottom right, as highlighted in red in this picture.

if the ECU has been chipped you will find a 28 pin EEPRON chip over the area numbered 27256 and another smaller chip in the area labeled 74HC373.

Similar to this one;
Ok so if im looking at it correctly the ecu should be a P06-A01. And it does appear to be chipped. I would post the pics I took but im not sure how to from my phone. Haha one more question...there is a gray box that the engine harness plugs into and then that gray box plugs into the ecu...is that just to make the wire harness compatible?