Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands??

I'm buying kyb gr-2 shocks to replace my stock ones because they are getting pretty bouncy. What kind of spring would you go with that's under 150$ and not be so low I bottom out everywhere. Or would you recommend coilovers, and what brand? I want the ride to be pretty comfortable as well.

I was looking at megan racing springs and/or coilovers, and tenzo-r springs and/or coilovers. THANKS for any feedback.

This is for a 97 honda accord ex 4 dr by the way.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands?? (Intrepidv614)

I would suggest some springs because coilovers are adjustable, but they're a pain to make completely even. I would go with Eibach Pro Kit, or Neuspeed Sport springs. They only drop it about 1.5 inches that will give you an agressive look, but not mess up ground clearance. As for shocks, KYB GR2's are good for a nice ride if that's what you want. They aren't as stiff as other shocks though, so don't expect to have the best handling.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM

if you go with coil-overs you will have a very bounce ride!
i would go with Neuspeed Sport springs! they are the best! -
and its not a bottom out drop its only a 1.75 drop in the front and 1.5 in the rear and your not dragging *** like others its pretty comfortable and you will be happy it give it a very agressive look go to neuspeed.com

and do some search on the threads its been covers alot of times lol
Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands?? (accordisslow)

I agree with Accordisslow....but don't go to Neuspeed.com. There are plenty of sites that sell them for about half the price. Neuspeed likes to charge an arm and a leg for their products. One of my favorite sites is http://www.inlinefour.com . They also have good prices on shocks. I think they have a suspension combo you can get with neuspeed sport springs and KYB GR2 shocks, and it's only like 400 bucks or something. Good luck
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM

Here it is, check this out....it's a good deal. It's what i got for my integra. http://www.inlinefour.com/neusgr2com.html Hope it helps.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wasn't there a thread that said lowering your car fucked up your tire, ball joint, bearing, etcc...?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (kroze)

they probably do if you drop your car like 2.5 or more but i know coil overs fck it up because there is constant bounce in the ride..
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (accordisslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordisslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they probably do if you drop your car like 2.5 or more but i know coil overs fck it up because there is constant bounce in the ride..</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is quite a general statement...the only reason that coilovers (or perch adjustable springs as i like to call them) create a "bounce in the ride" is because the spring rates are too aggressive for the shock absorber...the spring is supposed to create a bounce and the shock is supposed to control it...an upgraded spring should never be left on the oem shocks, as you will blow them quickly and create your "bounce in the ride"...

if you mate a reliable "coilover" (again, i prefer perch adjustable spring as it describes a completely different piece of equipment than a true coilover) to a reliable shock capable of dampening the applied spring, it will yield a more aggressive (in this case, stiffer) ride...

i've personally never heard of a lowered car to be a danger to the ball joint...however, it should be noted that to properly lower a car, one can not just slap on a set of lowering springs or a set of perch adjustable springs with any kind of mindset that problems will not arise...the shocks should be adequitely upgraded as well, and the degree of negative camber should be taken into account...
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM

I have had a good ride and a good look with my H&R sport springs. I got them from ebay 2 years ago and am still riding on my stock shocks. I can just imagine how much better of a ride with your new shocks.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

brotha'... I've got a 97 accord EX, 4 door with KYB agx shocks and DropZone coil overs (adjustable)
...now... I like to be able to make choices and make chances whenever I feel like I need to do so, that's why I got adjustable shocks, and that's why I've chose adjustable (1 to 4 inches drop) coil overs. It works awesome, and with the strut bar.... dude... feels like a formula 1 car doing cornering and turns... it has some handling and I love that on my car!
Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands?? (gianinline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gianinline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">brotha'... I've got a 97 accord EX, 4 door with KYB agx shocks and DropZone coil overs (adjustable)
...now... I like to be able to make choices and make chances whenever I feel like I need to do so, that's why I got adjustable shocks, and that's why I've chose adjustable (1 to 4 inches drop) coil overs. It works awesome, and with the strut bar.... dude... feels like a formula 1 car doing cornering and turns... it has some handling and I love that on my car!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol some one has alot of pride in Dropzone lol too bad all four of your wheels are the same height. and Formula 1 car....please share your experience ..... how fast do you hit turns? lol lemmie stop messing with you....i have herd alot of bad things about dropzone thats why many people stay away from them ... and especially those "authentic JDM" springs and coil overs of ebay... Wow thats all i got to say.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands?? (hondaccord2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaccord2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest some springs because coilovers are adjustable, but they're a pain to make completely even. I would go with Eibach Pro Kit, or Neuspeed Sport springs. They only drop it about 1.5 inches that will give you an agressive look, but not mess up ground clearance. As for shocks, KYB GR2's are good for a nice ride if that's what you want. They aren't as stiff as other shocks though, so don't expect to have the best handling. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, did you pull that out of your **** or something?

you will never get the car to sit even with spring, with coilover it is a matter of jacking the car up and turning the spanner wrench.

GR2 is stock replacment, if your oem one is still holding up, buying Gr2 is a total waste of money.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordisslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you go with coil-overs you will have a very bounce ride!
i would go with Neuspeed Sport springs! they are the best! -
and its not a bottom out drop its only a 1.75 drop in the front and 1.5 in the rear and your not dragging *** like others its pretty comfortable and you will be happy it give it a very agressive look go to neuspeed.com

and do some search on the threads its been covers alot of times lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

WS apexi coilover are 500

omni street/sport is around 600

there's better choice out there. IMHO<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordisslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lol some one has alot of pride in Dropzone lol too bad all four of your wheels are the same height. and Formula 1 car....please share your experience ..... how fast do you hit turns? lol lemmie stop messing with you....i have herd alot of bad things about dropzone thats why many people stay away from them ... and especially those "authentic JDM" springs and coil overs of ebay... Wow thats all i got to say.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dropzone = pos Period, there's no point to argue.
they are not even a true coilover, they are sleeve over
let's go measure the over all height of the spring, they are around half of the height of a REAL coilover spring.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kroze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wasn't there a thread that said lowering your car fucked up your tire, ball joint, bearing, etcc...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so is driving the car hard and modifing it, there's reaction for every action.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Springs vs. Coilovers?? Specific Brands?? (iam7head)

Your my Hero LoL Happy New Years eryone Woo