Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

So many problems...throttle cable, electrical??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many problems...throttle cable, electrical??

I am new here of course so hi all. appreciate any help.
recently purchased a 96 accord for a great price-4 cyl auto good air power, was tooling around town like nothing was wrong then yesterday all of a sudden--
speedometer/odometer starting going down to zero when you engaged turn signal-either way or pushed power door lock button down (just tried driver side) (eeekk!) and this awful noise coming from under hood loud rattling like noise. then the temp gauge started showing it over heating-all the way up! omg gawd what is all this???
so husband looked at it when we got home and is puzzled-not used to foreign cars and just plain puzzled. so as we were looking under hood with motor running i noticed that the accelerator/throttle cable was smoking!@!!!! not touching manifold or anything hot. it got very hot itself and within seconds started to melt the rubber. the cruise control (?) cable or anything else nearby didn't to seem to be hot or affected.
now the rubber from what we can suppose, has melted down in the spring within th rubber and the gas pedal cannot be pushed down at all, if this is what cause this.
so now my question is how do we get that throttle cable off/out and is it taken out all the way down to the gas pedal? cannot find anything on line to help, bought a chilton book and it is worthless for this also.
so frustrated i havent had my own car to drive (been a one car couple for 12 yrs) for a long time and i have only had this one less than a month. only thing i had noticed previously wrong was it had a very rough idle with air on at stop signs/lights. when given alittle gas it was smooth running.
please help if you can and remember we are novices with the honda so please be clear and pictures help.
thanks so much
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 AM

Default Re: So many problems...throttle cable, electrical??

no ideas anyone? removing the accelerator/throttle cable is the most important right now. could the sensor on the side of the throttle body have caused the smoke/over heating? please see first post above for details
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive seen this before! The engine is not properly grounded. The engine is grounding through the throttle cable. There should be a ground wire on the valve cover and down on the transmission housing. Make sure they are intact and clean. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 AM

Lose the lock nut and remove the cable from the cable bracket. Then it is very easy to remove the loosen calble from Throttle body. Then remove the cable from gas padel.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM

thanks guys
you know 92civlude we did just find a wire not grounded but i think it was from the ac (where a couple of pulleys/belts are) over to the left front if you are in front of car looking at engine??
how many grounds are there besides the two you mentioned? and the one we found or is the one we found one you mentioned? (HUH?) hope that made sense. is there a special kind of bolt/screw/nut/wire we need to use to do this?
this had a salvage title and i knew it had been wrecked in front-well the paper work only said hood replaced. thinking some/all of engine was replaced so need to know all possible grounding points and where they are
specifically please-would really appreciate specifics? cannot find diagram-bought a chilton repair for this year but boy they suck now!-of our exact engine with labels to know where all things are.
thanks again!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Check this:
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM

sorry i am a female and trying to understand-are ALL the places in your diagram, where it looks like little bolt heads, are the complete/ALL places for my engine to be grounded? in other words, if we make sure all these places as above are grounded, cleaned and in good shape then we've done all the grounding we can do? thanks for the diagram!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

At least, make sure these ground points connected well. There are still other ground points not shown on this diagram. You need to especially make sure the grounds in the two circles connected well. I believe all the ground points are connected by 6mm bolts (use 10mm wrench).

Edit: Sorry, the lower red circle is the starter positive not the ground. Make sure the upper circle ground connected well (the engine ground cables.)
Attached Images  

Last edited by billyrusa; 05-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM

boy it sure would be nice if the grounds were the only prob to solve all our probs with this car-too easy! we were just trying to get the throttle cable corrected so we could get to the shop so they could over charge us.
but again i guess i need to ask from the first diagram, are the little bolt looking things grounds? and i am sorry but do we need to ground them to something pos or neg? or are the places right near them to hook ground wires to?
i hope i am making sense and sorry for my "dumbness". thanks billy
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Ground means to connect to metel body. You are right, the little bolt (6mm) is ground. For the burn throttle cable problem, you need to make sure the 3 bolts in the top circle connected welll and the wire between those bolts is not broken.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM

ok so we don't have to worry about positive/negative then just grounding to the place it should be evident that it was grounded to now/before, that wires are clean and good shape/unbroken with the correct 6mm bolt? (need a nut too?) anything at all no matter how small you need to add? thanks so much billy if i have another question later on this evening will you check back when you have time later just in case? thanks so much
Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Good luck. I will give as much help as I can.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM

husband is home working on it again but cannot figure out where the clip is that everyone mentions is on the gas pedal? behind the firewall? inside the car?
he finally got the throttle cable, engine bay side off but now what? do we just attach to interior side or have to remove the throttle cable on interior side compleetely off? please be detailed we are about to pull our hair out
Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM

ok forget my last post he got the cable on and thru firewall but now (boy guys get so grumpy working on cars so staying as far away as possible) i think he is saying it is too short? that if he connects it the way the old one was to the accelerator thing, the motor will be reved up so high cause the throttle will be open? any diagrams of how this is supposed to look especially where the adjustment nuts are in front of the manifold in that bracket?
or how to hook up and is it supposed to feel too short until adjusted? in the wrong place in the bracket? anything.
how to hook up correctly etc? should it look just like the cruise control below it? but what if too "short" to hook to throttle where its not open all the way?
thanks again
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM

First at all, make sure you got the right cable. It should have same length as the old one. Then following the instruction to install and adjust the cable:
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Icon2 Re: So many problems...throttle cable, electrical??

ok he was planning on taking back to check with salesman if this is correct. but we don't know what liter of engine this is. there are three pictures of engines in the chilton book for our year supposedly and non look like ours.
the car is again just to refresh memories, is a 1996 honda accord 4 dr automatic 4 cyl is all we know.
but lets say this is the right cable--the exact prob at this point he is having is that it is too short from where it fits in the bracket, if he is doing it right, like the other one, to the carberator side. so it make it way open and over rev if he installs it.
its like 2" or so he says too short...he cant get it in and adjust it. does that make sense?
thanks for the pic but ours doesn't look like that either and can't make bigger to see all well. ill go take some photos and attach so you can see what i mean. old or new throttle cable (end we're having trouble with) is not in there, with cruise control cable below it. can't find anything that looks like ours.
as i said this was wrecked..don't know if bad we think...and could they have adapted the engine somewhat? well look at photos and see what you think. oh and what is that bracket that attaches to front of body under hood for? first photo.
thanks again for your time.
Attached Images      
Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 PM

You have a 2.2 liter engine.

The instruction I attached is exactly for your engine. Remove the cable from the gas pedal and compare it with the old one. If you get the right cable, it should not be hard to install and adjust. Can you PM your email address to me and I will send something to you.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM

hi billy thanks hoping he can get this thing on tonight--he looked at it and thinks it might be right. gets too tired at the end of the night and frustrated so starting fresh (as fresh as you can be after working in the heat all day) tonight.
did you see the pic of the bracket up there^^^^^^^?? can't figure out what it is supposed to be holding. its bolted to the front end in front of the radiator stuff. nothing is in it.
see this is what i think.....trying to make it short was probably bought at an auction by a little dealership here. it had a pink salvage title and i only know basically that the hood (per paperwork w/title-but think they left alllooott out) was replaced but thinking it was more things in the front/front end. we bought from a lady whose ex had bought and given to her, from this little dealership--she never registered in her name so was still in dealerships name on title. i now have the blue salvage title. had a current '09 inspection.
anyway i think they repaired some things in the engine bay...alot of hoses look way too new etc and some things like the grounds were not connected right or at all. we only realized all this lately. not a good mechanic apparently.
thought we had a good deal-i've only had since april 15 or so and drove like a charm up until this last weekend. only paid 2500 and it only has original 114k! body is very straight and inside is great too. who knew. had little electrical/fuse things wrong (we thought) but now we might find alot more to it at our expense.
i love my little car tho.
so wanted to ask you if you knew if the accelerator cable, by pioneer, inc., part # CA-8926 is the correct throttle cable for our engine?
thanks again
Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM

The bracket you mentioned is used to hold the AC suction line. Just plug it into the white plastic part (see the pic below).

I checked on internet and found that the CA-8926 should be the right cable for your car. I believe what you need is patient. Remove the cable and start installing it from the very begin. Pay attention to every step. I really do not think it is hard to install the cable.

BTW, as far as the ground connections, make sure the two ground wires from the negative terminal of the battery are connected well. One of those wires is connect to the engine block.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM

oh gosh what does the ac suction line look like and where could it be now and attached to what? wonder if its just plain missing?
could you be more specific where on the engine block? or does the book you recommended last night show specifics for grounds? i could not find anything specific.
yeah patience is what is needed but like i said after working on it for a couple of hours (we are an older couple too) after his very physical job all day he loses it.
i am really concerned about all the grounds that might not be connected and where specifically they are. and now this hose you mentioned for ac-the ac ran good and pretty cold. wow how did this car even operate? the guy that put this car back together must of been ...well...i'll be a lady here and not say. really irks me when people just don't care what they do.
any recommendations is helpful. i have searched too but apparently not putting in the best keywords in the search.
thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM

The first photo shows the bracket plugged into the plastic part for holding the AC suction line.
The second photo shows one of ground wire connected the engine block and the battery negative terminal. Notice that the ground point is under the oil dipstick.
The third photo shows another ground wire which connects the vehicle body and the battery negative terminal. The connection point is in front of the battery.
Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM

thanks billy i will show him all you sent that will be a big help.
he still cannot get how to get the cable on-never seen him have so much trouble with something! he usually figures it out by himself, but something is just not clicking for him.
now he says-i think-that if he puts it on the carberator side throttle linkg and-just for testing purposes without turning on the engine-that now the adjustment area between the two nuts does not reach the bracket on the manifold like it is supposed to where he can slip in bracket and adjust it.
what does deflection mean? we are looking at instructions for people in the know so maybe we are just missing something? and believe me he feels really dumb right now. its eating at him every day now he says. i am just trying to relay what i am getting from him.
does something magically change with the cable once the car is on etc? gets longer shorter? how do you know you are at 3000 rpms? is the cable sheath the one on the right side of the nuts that you can squish up or down?
why isn't this long enough to put where it all needs to be to adjust/tighten/loosen up?
thanks again for your patience
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by billyrusa
The first photo shows the bracket plugged into the plastic part for holding the AC suction line.
The second photo shows one of ground wire connected the engine block and the battery negative terminal. Notice that the ground point is under the oil dipstick.
The third photo shows another ground wire which connects the vehicle body and the battery negative terminal. The connection point is in front of the battery.
Thats actually the Transmission Housing the Neg cable is grounded to.
Ground=Usually a metal location that safely limits the voltage build up. The bolt just holds the wire there for the concept of grounding.

A smoking accellerator cable seems quite impossible being that it is not electrically operated. It's just a pully mechanism that opens the throttle which allows more air in. During this process the sensors work to determine the correct air to fuel ratio for optimal performance. As I think Billy said the only way the accelerator cable would smoke is if it were a source of electrical travel through improper grounding but even then I believe this is highly unlikely. Are you sure it was the Accel cable, not something underneath? Cause if thats your problem you have nothing to worry about it's an easy fix. And if you want to cut the hassle of figuring which cable is the right size go to your nearest autozone or autoparts store and they will have the exact cable, to either compare for you or purchase. Your choice...GL
Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Try to do this:
Connect the cable to Throttle linkage.
Pull the inner cable while holding the cable housing (the part with adjusting nut and lock nut on it). Then try to put the cable housing into cable bracket. Be careful do not bend the cable.
Deflection is the free play. That means the cable should not put any force on the throttle linkage while car is idling. While in idle position, you should be able to move the cable (close to throttle linkage) up and down 10-12mm without moving the butterfly valve.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM

and the butterfly valve is on throttle link? and where on it if so? hes in bed so can't ask if he know until later tomorrow so thought i would throw this in in case and again does starting the car do something to the cable? lengthen it or allow you to pull on it like you said? it won't do that with the car off?
thanks

Quick Reply: So many problems...throttle cable, electrical??