Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

shift-interlock woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift-interlock woes

Okay, so before I begin, let me just say that I've done my research. My wife's automatic 1998 Honda Accord Dx has been plagued with the 'shifter stuck in park' problem for about a month now. Additionally, the parking brake light sometimes stays on even after the brake is released.

From reading various posts, it looks like the 2 main sources of the shift-interlock problem are:

1) the brake switch
2) the shift-interlock solenoid

After discovering the symptoms of a bad brake switch, I checked to see whether the horn and brake lights work when the shifter gets stuck... and they do. So I'm assuming that it's not the brake switch.

Being that I have time to work on the car this week, I was wondering if anyone could give me further advice on the problem. When I press on the brake I normally hear the solenoid click, meaning that I can take it out of park. But when it gets stuck, I don't hear a click when I press on the brake.

So my two questions are:

1) Is it most likely the shift-interlock solenoid?
2) Could a gunked-up/ bad solenoid have anything to do with the parking brake light staying on, or are they separate problems?

I've tried to research as much as possible, and would appreciate your help. Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (thrasherx)

bizump
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The solenoid has nothing to do with the brake lights. If they stay on, then the problem is with the brake switch.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (02 accord)

Ok, so my parking brake, and my solenoid are completely separate components? I had read that when it gets stuck in park, you should pump the brake lights to make sure that they work. If they do, then that means it's not the brake switch that's the problem.

However in my case, the parking brake light gets stuck on even after the brake is released. Does that make sense?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oops. I missed the "parking" brake light. Yes, that's separate from the solenoid too. If your brake lights work when you hit the brake but the shifter still gets stuck, then it's either the wiring or the solenoid. The parking brake has nothing to do with this.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrasherx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However in my case, the parking brake light gets stuck on even after the brake is released. Does that make sense?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The handbrake lamp is a separate problem unrelated to the shift-interlock.

That handbrake warning lamp is ALSO triggered by low brake fluid in the reservoir. Some people have had problems with a sticky float-switch, even with a full reservoir.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (JimBlake)

I didn't even think about the brake fluid. That could be it for sure. I need to bleed the brakes soon. Unfortunately studying electrical engineering leaves me little free time.

I'm thinking of taking the solenoid out over Thanksgiving break, and cleaning it. Hopefully that will help with the shift-interlock problem. Also, i'll look at the brake switch at the same time.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for with either of them? Any tale-tell signs of problems? Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you're an EE, grab a multimeter and check if you have power and ground going to the solenoid. You should have power whenever the ignition is on, and ground only when the brake is depressed.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (02 accord)

or just disable the solenoid that locks it in park....thats what i did, not because it didnt work simply because it pissed me off
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wonder what your final resolution to the problem is (if any)? Honda seems to have a real problem with this issue.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (icantdrive)

I haven't had time to actually get into it yet... i took the trim off around the shifter, but i need to take off more trim to actually access the solenoid. I'm thinking that I'm just going to take out the piece that locks the shifter. That way even if the solenoid isn't disabled, it still can be taken out of park. Plus, we don't have any kids... so it's not really a safety issue. Sometimes too much safety is a bad thing. I miss manual windows and door locks. Anyways, there still could be a possibility that it's the brake switch, but the brake lights seem to be working fine. As far as the parking brake, I'll look at that while i have everything else taken apart.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update!

Well, consider you're lucky if replacing the brake switch fixes your problem since it's the most easy component to replace.

I messed around with my g/f's 1993 Acura Integra automatic (also made by Honda) last weekend. It has experienced with the issue of intermitten key sticking in the ignition and, of course, you guess it, can't shift out of Park in cold weather only. The key sticking happens often while the shifting-out-of-park issue only seems to occur when the weather is cold. After spending a few days of reading on several boards (including this one) and armed with a Haynes repair manual, i decided to tackle it last weekend.

Well, in my case, replacing the brake switch did not help, and I am out of $32. Yup, I did not think a brake switch would set me back that far. I did not replace the shift lock solenoid as suggested by other boards because (with the ignition on and my center counsole removed) i can clearly see the solenoid clicked and retracted the locking pin when i tapped on the brake. Autozone said it's an OEM part so i would have to get it from a Honda dealer. I would replace it anyway had Autozone carried it. A trip to the junkyard proved no luck.

I found that the instrument panel indicator (one that lights up and shows whether you are in P, R, N, D, etc....) plays a vital role in the deciding factor though. It has to light up before I can remove the key or shift from P. I don't know about your Honda, but I usually have to wait 1-3 seconds (after put it in P) for the indicator to glow. It glows immediately for other positions ......

There are actually 3 possible sources. You already named the other 2 which are the brake switch and the Shift-lock solenoid. The 3rd one is the Shift lever position signal sending unit located on the opposite side of the Shift-lock solenoid. This unit tell the car which position the shift lever is in. In my case, the shift-lock solenoid is on the driver side, and the Shift position sending unit is on the passenger side. But, it's in the reverse order for many other Honda. The center console would certainly be removed to access to them. If the shift position sending unit is at fault, it would cause the key sticking and shift-out-of-Park issues. I assume that auto part stores don't carry it neither. I experienced with different positions for both the shift-lock solenoid & the shift position sending unit--they both can be moving lef or right (if you're facing it) or forward or backward with referencing to the car. PERHAPS, this might be all you have to do on your Honda. shift it one at a time and hold it temporarily in with the nuts and watch your instrument indicator as you shift your lever (with your ignition on, of course).

I am still waiting for the verdict on mine. I have to see how it operates in cold weather, but there is no complaint so far. That said, i would replace the shift sending unit if i find a replacement.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (icantdrive)

Thrasher has a '98 Accord 4-cyl, & I think the gear position signal (P-R-N-D-etc.) comes from a switch pack on the transmission, not at the gearshift lever. Look for a wiring harness way down on the bottom, approximately below the battery.

Besides, the gear position signal doesn't prevent shifting. That would prevent taking the key out. If that's not a problem, I think thrasher should just file that away under general knowledge...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, honestly I haven't had any time to look at it. Like I said... I'll probably just take off the plastic part of the solenoid that locks the shifter, and call it good. I don't really care about/need that feature and time is money. Thanks for all of the advice though. I can safely say that I now know how it works. Thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM

I've been having a similar issue. In my case, my brake switch WAS bad - I replaced that and anticipated the interlock would work again right away; no dice. I checked my connection to the interlock itself and found 12v across the connectors when my foot wasn't on the brake, and that the ground connection lifts when the brake applied (leaving 0v). I bought another solenoid figuring that might be the problem, STILL no luck. Since the Haynes manual is so incredibly useless about this mechanism i don't know what to expect, but one would anticipate 12v causing the solenoid to engage, not sit there doing nothing.

Anyone know what my problem might be?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (quadrinary)

in y cd5 my car wouldnt shift out of park, horn wouldnt work, brakes lights didnt work (at all) and it was just a bad fuse, i beileve #19 under the hood fuse box.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

semi off subject but do 01-02 5 speed accords have a reverse lock-out?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (erk89)

My fuses are all good - horn, brake lights - both working. at this point, by all working standards, the interlock SHOULD be working. I even bought another one just to be sure - no dice! Using a volt meter on the connector to the solenoid, it reads 12.98v when not pressing the brake pedal and 0v when pressing. What gives? very very strange.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift-interlock woes (quadrinary)

Without a circuit drawing to look it up, I'll assume that pedal switch provides ground to the circuit. In that case it's doing what it's supposed to do. When you're not pressing on the pedal, one side is ground & the other side is 12v. Press the pedal & it closes the circuit to ground, then both sides read 0v.

That just means the problem is elsewhere in the circuit. Anyone know whether there's a relay in that circuit?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM

yea, it's the drawing that's the problem... does anyone have this info or know where i could get it?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 1998 Accord - Stuck Shifter

Had the same prob where the shifter was stuck [1998 Accord]
Replaced that brake light switch to solve the prob.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 1998 Accord - Stuck Shifter

Originally Posted by QuickSand
Had the same prob where the shifter was stuck [1998 Accord]
Replaced that brake light switch to solve the prob.
It works on the same principle.

Thanks for using the search function. You had to work to find this oldie

P
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
New User

Default Re: shift-interlock woes

i just started to have this same problem with my 1996 honda accord lx. it used to work fine but two days ago i started to have this problem. I cant get it out of park without manually pressing the shift release lock. I useed to hear a clicking sound but now i dont. aand today I also noticed that my horn doesnt work. the problem with the horn might be that i forgot to plug it back after i changed my radiator but I'll have to check that out. another problem i sometimes have is that the brakes sometimes wont work. i press the pedal all the way down and it wont come to a complete stop or it stops too slow. after a while they start working again. i also have problem with my battery it seems to die during the night. other than that my car is great i took it to get a smog check and the guy said my car rung good.can any one help please? Thank you? i will check the fuses to see if they are good or bad.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:39 AM
New User

I put it up here... Hoping I could get at least $1500 for it...

I wanna sell this thing!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
New User

i just fixed the problem. it turns out they put the fuse in the wrong slot so now i could shift it and my honk works. the bttery has now lasted about 3 days so i think my car is good now.

Quick Reply: shift-interlock woes