Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Seriously need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously need help

Hey guys i am new to this site but i seriously need some help ill tell you the story and then explain the problems we are having and then ill explain the diagnosis that were done and at that point im stumped on anything left to do if you can help me that would be amazing?

Okay my friend bought a 1992 Honda Accord Lx Auto about 2 weeks ago, When we first got it, it started right up however the exhaust was leaking very badly, when we got the car to his house we put it up and noticed it was leaking oil badly from the timing belt cover. I then pulled everything apart to change the timing belt and front main seal, also i pulled down the oil pan just to check the gasket and that needed to be done as well. Found that it was a Front main seal that was replaced put it all together the car started right up ran it for a bit and noticed it leaking from the rear main seal, so i pulled the battery disconnected all the wires got the transmission out properly changed the rear main seal, and replaced the gasket there, i then put the transmission back in. Everything was all wired back up, we filled the fluids and got it all back together, now it will not start at all it cranks over but doesnt start, it stuttered once or twice to start but didnt fully stay on, we then read alot of the symptoms others have had and we replaced the main relay, and the Auto Cont Crus box with new ones and currently still not starting the fuel pump is not turning on but is clicking, and there is no spark at the plugs. (keep in mind i have just changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor) When i go to start the car, the shifter does not come out of park it is almost like it is stuck in place.

The D4 like is lit up while it is in park when turning the key but the D4 light doesnt light up when i put it into D4 by using the shift lock switch.

What could the problem be, this car is almost brand new i have heard the fuel pump a few times kick on but there is no pressure in the lines at all (when checked at the fuel rail)

The D4 light emits all the time when starting the car?

There is NO spark at the plugs but there is power going into the Cap but not being distributed?

please help me i have been working on this car for two weeks and i am tired of it.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Seriously need help

Well the D4 light is Honda's way of telling you there is an automatic transmission problem. You need to have it scanned. OR run the self diagnostic test with the two pin connector under the glove box by crossing the two terminals with a wire and cycling the key to the 2nd position. It should flash any present CEL codes and Transmission codes.

Are all the grounds hooked up? I have heard some horror stories of cars not starting whatsoever because of a simple ground wire accidentally forgotten.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try cb7tuner.com bro, threre is alot more info there than here that can help you out.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
New User

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120
Well the D4 light is Honda's way of telling you there is an automatic transmission problem. You need to have it scanned. OR run the self diagnostic test with the two pin connector under the glove box by crossing the two terminals with a wire and cycling the key to the 2nd position. It should flash any present CEL codes and Transmission codes.

Are all the grounds hooked up? I have heard some horror stories of cars not starting whatsoever because of a simple ground wire accidentally forgotten.
Yeah all the grounds are down, and cleaned and stuff. what light would indicate and show the codes it is on the dash or is it on the computer itself cause i remember some older hondas doing that. But this car doesnt have an indicator light on the computer
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, those ECU indicators were on older toyotas or nissan, cant remember. The codes will flash on whatever the corresponding system is. Like the CEL will flash for engine codes, ABS for ABS, trans under D4.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
New User

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120
No, those ECU indicators were on older toyotas or nissan, cant remember. The codes will flash on whatever the corresponding system is. Like the CEL will flash for engine codes, ABS for ABS, trans under D4.
ok here is where the situation stands, the axle is no in place now here is what we are experiencing when the key is in it is stuck in park, when we turn the key half way between run and start it unclicks the transmission and allows you to move the lever out of the P position, but when the key is in the start position it re locks the lever in the P position.

now my main concern is the ignition i will worry about the transmission after i get the engine started, there is power at the ignition but when the key is turned the power from the ignition coil drops erratically then there is no power at all coming out of the spark plug. what can be doing this can it be the ignition itself?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanS84
ok here is where the situation stands, the axle is no in place now here is what we are experiencing when the key is in it is stuck in park, when we turn the key half way between run and start it unclicks the transmission and allows you to move the lever out of the P position, but when the key is in the start position it re locks the lever in the P position.
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you are trying to do here. Are you saying that it won't let you start the car in gear. If you are trying to do that it won't let you.

Originally Posted by BryanS84
now my main concern is the ignition i will worry about the transmission after i get the engine started, there is power at the ignition but when the key is turned the power from the ignition coil drops erratically then there is no power at all coming out of the spark plug. what can be doing this can it be the ignition itself?
Your goign to have to test the ignition system. If you are seeing power at the coil but not the spark plugs that could be the coil, distributor cap, rotor or the ignitor.

Do you have an Accord shop manual?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
New User

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you are trying to do here. Are you saying that it won't let you start the car in gear. If you are trying to do that it won't let you.

Your goign to have to test the ignition system. If you are seeing power at the coil but not the spark plugs that could be the coil, distributor cap, rotor or the ignitor.

Do you have an Accord shop manual?

we have an auto, to start the car it needs to be in P it is similar to being in neutral. the spark plugs, cap rotor and wires are new, the coil wasnt changed but there is power at the line going to the cap but none of the power going to the spark plugs.

no i dont have a manual
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

I sent you a private message (PM)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
New User

my question is so far all symptoms is pointing at the ignition system so i am wondering how to test the ignition system?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep in mind that to shift the transmission out of park, you need to press on the brake pedal.