Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Running Rich...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rich...

My car is running a little rich (my exaust tip turns black within a month in most cases and I get some "soot" on the backside of my car after a while) and I was wondering how do I fix this problem. All my mods are in my sig, but I will list them again just to be safe: (1990 Accord EX 5spd)
- Matrix Short Ram
- Matrix Header (Wrapped)
- Bosch 02 sensor
- High Flow Cat
- Custom Exaust (Opens to 2.5'' in some spots but actual flow size is about 2.25'' due to the bends and glasspack in the piping)
- Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler w/Magnaflow Chrome Tip

I would like to try to get this all tuned in to help get my performance up just a tad so that its runnning closer to optimal. Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running Rich... (Assassin247)

Are you throwing an o2 code? because with those mods, you shouldn't be running too rich. Also, how much chearance do you have with the tip of ur muffler to the bumper?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Running Rich... (jmal1919)

Well, it gets on the back of my bumber and even on the trunk sometimes, but I will let the pic speak for itself....

And the muffler runs about, 3 inches or so, if that away from the black trim. So if someone could give me a hand and tell me how to adjust my fuel/air ratio or do something to lean it out a bit, that would be great.

*EDIT: The muffler runs about even with the black trim/indented/bottom part of the bumper*

Modified by Assassin247 at 8:48 AM 10/12/2004
Old 10-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

black out your tags next time.
Do you have a sid pic of the clearance between the tip and every thing else. It's hard to see from dead on.

again, do you have any codes, check engine light, etc...?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:04 PM

Check your O2 sensor and all the hoses!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Running Rich... (Jay84ever)

o2 Sensor is almost new. Only about 4-5 months or so and it was installed by a shop because i went to go do my headers and the shop that originally did my exaust fucked that up by welding my cat directly to the end of my downpipe. I don't know what hoses you mean to check though, sorry. I can post up a pic of my engine bay, but all the hoses are hooked up right to my intake. The problem of running rich only happens when I have an intake on the car. When I run it with the stock air box on there, it's fine. Here is a pic of my exaust tip though...

The tip of the exaust is only about an inch or so out from the black trim. You can see that I am running pretty rich by the inner edge of the tip, I just washed it about a week ago! I wanna fix this bitch!
Old 10-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Assassin247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The problem of running rich only happens when I have an intake on the car. When I run it with the stock air box on there, it's fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I assume that u mean with the header, cat & exhaust. You still didn't answer the question, are there any engine codes being thrown? A code would tell u if ur o2 took a dump, which can happen regardless of when u got a new one. Are you taking it to redline alot? You may be just running rich at wot points which is good, and not under normal driving.

To lean it out, you need to have an AFC or standalone to do it. If these are the only mods ur going to have, then I would go the piggy back route, but if u plan more, just get a standalone. But before u buy anything, verify that you don't have any codes being thrown.

Sorry I can't help u any more.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh dont worry about, u're probably just burning a lil oil here and there. thats what happens on old cars
Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 AM

I'm sorry man, no, to the best of my knowledge, no error codes are being thrown. No check engine lights or anything, everything seems to be fine. I do plan to turbo it some time within the next year or so. I am trying to figure out where to start and I am reading up in the FI forum but I'm not learning much. Thank you very much for being patient with my accidental neglect of answering your question. Before I got the header, it still ran rich with the intake on it. There was a period of time when I went back to the stock intake though and the problem got drastically better if not went away completely. I don't redline my car, but I do push it. The highest I go is 5500 RPM, my redline sits stock at 6250 RPM. Since the engine hits peak HP at about 5500, I see no reason in going any higher and risking damage to the engine before I build up the internals a bit. I don't really understand what you meant by
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmal1919 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You may be just running rich at wot points which is good, and not under normal driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Once again, thanks for all the help. to HT and to you too jmal1919.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Assassin247 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sorry man, no, to the best of my knowledge, no error codes are being thrown. No check engine lights or anything, everything seems to be fine. I do plan to turbo it some time within the next year or so. I am trying to figure out where to start and I am reading up in the FI forum but I'm not learning much. Thank you very much for being patient with my accidental neglect of answering your question. Before I got the header, it still ran rich with the intake on it. There was a period of time when I went back to the stock intake though and the problem got drastically better if not went away completely. I don't redline my car, but I do push it. The highest I go is 5500 RPM, my redline sits stock at 6250 RPM. Since the engine hits peak HP at about 5500, I see no reason in going any higher and risking damage to the engine before I build up the internals a bit. I don't really understand what you meant by

Once again, thanks for all the help. to HT and to you too jmal1919.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wot ( gass peddle either half of the way down, or complely down )
if you were driving the same with the intake on, then my thought of it only happening at wot is out. I'm stumped now , so you may have better luck from other folks here, or asking a reputable shop in the area. Sorry.