Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need???

So if i wanna do rally with my accord what should i invest in??

I was thinking new springs, maybe make a skid plate at my shop class and whatever else would help?? But i dono where and what kind of springs i would need if i wanted rally and i dono where to look for some either??
Every post i see on here is usually about street racing so i was just wondering about what i would have to do for rally??

Any input from someone who knows what they're talkin bout would be appreciated

~Thx
Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
goowakjai

Default Re: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need??? (MtbikingKing)

alryte, first...i been on here for about half a year or so..and i havent stumbled across any threads about street racing, most of the people here are to grown for that kind of stuff, and those who do keep it to themselves. if u were to build ur accord for rally u wud need not just springs but struts too..rallying puts alot of abuse on ur whole car, a skid plate will be smart, if ur goint o make it urself use aluminum and make sure u make it thick enuff so it wont break when u hit a rock going 40+...as far as wut kind fo suspension set-up i dont know, havent seen any rally spec suspensions for the accord, though im sure it can be done, u just have to look around or if it comes down to it do the research and piece together a custom set-up? just remember suspension travel is key, so dunt think about slamming ur ride and think u gon go rally. good luck
Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM

well what i meant by "street racing" was most of what i read about on here concerns how to make your ride sweet looking and/or riding smoother/faster on pavement (street, track, . . .)
Anyways . . . ya i think i might wanna try to make a couple of detachable skid plates for the bottom of my car cause recently i found this dirt pit in the middle of no where and when i get going 40 and hit a lump or mogal of sand/dirt . . . its not pretty and i can hear the bottom of my car hit it. So i want something not too heavy and beefy enough for no rock to slit it open when i slide the bottom of my car across it accidentally at 40+.

The thing that would also help with that would be tighter/stiffer suspension (i think) and maybe some longer springs for more travel, buut i dono since im just a newbie and thats i wild guess.
Im just wondering if what im thinking is possible and if it is how can i do it and where should i look online for the parts???
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need??? (MtbikingKing)

1. go find out which sanctioned body or club you are going to race with and read their safety requirements...and find a good roll cage builder in your area

2. go to roadracing/autocross forum and post this question in there...there's a few fwd rally drivers/builders/racers in there

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=19

3. get lots of seat time

goodluck
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need??? (azian21485)

i'd just say dont waste your time... get a lighter smaller AWD (or at least RWD) car... way better
Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need??? (Chritter)

AWD, go buy an early 90's subaru for like 1,000 bucks. There a blast to rally.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM

rwd is the stupidest idea for rally since u can't go anywhere if u're really trying to, but ya i agree if u just wanna mess around sure it's fun but i actually wanna try to race too a lil and i wont go no where if i had a rwd car.
AWD is the way to go and i especially like subaru's for that but #1 they're more expensive to maintain cause they're parts aren't as cheap (money wise) as honda and i dont have enough cash and time to go blow on another car.
All i really wanna do is make my accord beefy enough to not break on the dirt, but still look normal cause its still gonna be my driving around car.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MtbikingKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MtbikingKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rwd is the stupidest idea for rally since u can't go anywhere if u're really trying to, but ya i agree if u just wanna mess around sure it's fun but i actually wanna try to race too a lil and i wont go no where if i had a rwd car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try Googling the Lancia Stratos......

Modified by ricepicker at 12:06 AM 9/15/2005
Old 09-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ricepicker)

your gonna need a sanctioned roll cage, MUCH beefier shocks, MUCH strong wheels, skid plate, rig up something to cool the brakes, tighten up the ebrake, adjust suspenion setup to try and create as much oversteer as you possibly can (when you want to induce it)
Old 09-14-2005, 05:07 PM

alright thx FW190, do u know where i could possibly look on the web to find rally shox,wheels,etc cause i have no idea where to look. I'd like to find some site and get an idea of things and the costs.

Any website suggestions???
Old 09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
goowakjai

Default Re: (MtbikingKing)

RWD is not a stupid rally platform, i thot that at first too..but according to my autoshop teacher who useto rally when he was younger, RWD is real good for rally since if u had the skill u can induce understeer and oversteer at will
Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 PM

well, i think this question is better asked in the race forum, but here i go anyways.

i have wanted to do this with a 3rd gen for a LONG time. what i was looking at for a basic setup was:

not much stiffer than stock spring rate

LESS front swaybar, and a bit more rear without going too large in the rear

as much suspension travel as possible

cage

stronger seats

skid plates, front and rear

possibly a FUNCTIONAL body kit if you plan on going that fast

STRONG and light wheels, a good bit of sidewall

the beefiest brakes i could fit under a 15" wheel and cooling for said brakes

stronger axles

get all that and you should be set up pretty well.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 PM
goowakjai

Default Re: (Vanilla Sky)

now the question is..who makes those kind of rally spec parts for the accord...the hardest thing i think to track down for a rally spec accord is suspension
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (goowakjai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goowakjai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RWD is not a stupid rally platform, i thot that at first too..but according to my autoshop teacher who useto rally when he was younger, RWD is real good for rally since if u had the skill u can induce understeer and oversteer at will</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of all group B rally cars were RWD. Until the Audi Quattro made it's appearence. Group B was the heart and soul of the WRC and made it what it is today.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:41 AM

you could use something like H&R OEM springs w/ custom valved koni shocks...if its a 5th gen, use a dx/lx front sway bar, and an aftermarket rear. for wheels you want something ridiculously light and strong...so they will have to be forged...and when it comes to strength, usually the ugliest wheels are the strongest
Old 09-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fw190bvi)

I don't want to burst your bubble but....... if this car is your daily driver you will probabaly not be able to drive it from time to time after you break parts using it as a ralley car.

Cliffs.... A daily driver and a serious ralley car should not be the same car.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM

i never said it was a "serious rallycar". If u read the post maybe u can reply with some knowledge that will help me out.

It's a car that i use for daily use and still wanna have some offroad fun with it, with out it breakin on me
Old 09-15-2005, 02:00 PM

well, in order to keep things from breaking, you're going to lose some of the drivability on road. you also need to think of safety. cages in daily drivers SUCK.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 PM

ya im def not gonna build a cage in this car, maybe if i buy a second beater car, ya i'll rip the whole inside out and make it my only rally car but now i dont have the cash.
So, now i wanna just make my accord able to handle the dirt roads at high speeds (considering i cant afford to crash it, i wont push it to the max, so hopefully i wont crash, but u can crash anything at even the slowest speeds so im just saying)

Anyways i want to beefy up my accord durablity wise and not safety (since i wont be doing crazy rallying, the standard safety equipment that the car has been build with will protect me)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new chassis, drivetrain, and motor.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:21 PM

IMO, if you're not gonna cage it, you should keep it out of the woods.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 PM
goowakjai

Default Re: (Vanilla Sky)

damnit, i hate these kind of negativitys...the guy wants to know how to make his car able to run in dirtroads, who cares if its his dialy driver or wut not..let him do wut he wants, cuz i have a personal go of having a daily driver/track car, if given the right circumstances it can be done...just let him kno wut needs to be done and stop with the negativity, if he crashes his car and cant go to work/school and ruins his life dats his prob
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goowakjai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damnit, i hate these kind of negativitys...the guy wants to know how to make his car able to run in dirtroads, who cares if its his dialy driver or wut not..let him do wut he wants, cuz i have a personal go of having a daily driver/track car, if given the right circumstances it can be done...just let him kno wut needs to be done and stop with the negativity, if he crashes his car and cant go to work/school and ruins his life dats his prob</TD></TR></TABLE>

settle down dude....he didnt ask for everyone to pat him on the back and tell him where to go for parts...he wanted to know how and what, and what implications it would have on the car.....its not negative. telling someone the downsides of something isnt being negative, its being a realist, and trying to help he out as much as possible.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: (fw190bvi)

ya dude, i have been misinformed about things before and someone telling me that its a bad way to go was quite helpful. Not wasting my time money and effort is important. Some times you actually benefit from the "negativity"
Old 09-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need??? (Chritter)

...say what?... maaan..... ...let the kid use an accord to perform what he wants... ...then... we can have a member telling us all the stuff he put and has done to his accord... and plus.... ....always remember this.... always.... ...here it go...." great cars are built... not bought"...
...that's right!!!
I say do the research and keep the accord for rally!!!

Quick Reply: Rally in an Accord . . . what do i need???