Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Odd rubbing noise when turning right and going straight at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Odd rubbing noise when turning right and going straight at low speeds

On my 1994 EX wagon, I just recently started experiencing what appears to be a "rubbing/squeeking noise" but only when turning right and occasionally going straight at low speeds. I lifted the car and checked the bearing for play on the left side and saw nothing *(3/9 and 12/6 positions) and both wheels move in the same direction when tugged and pulled. The sound does change with speed. Its not a whirring, clicking, or growling sound which to me are indicators of bad bearing vs cv shaft. Plus there are no wear marks on the tires or inner fender liners. Any thoughts on which element might be causing this?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Odd rubbing noise when turning right and going straight at low speeds

Originally Posted by angrysmileyface
Any thoughts on which element might be causing this?
Ye olde dust shield?
I've had them randomly, on various cars, just make enough contact to make massive noise.
Pull off the wheel and make sure there is about 3/8"(10mm) clearance from rotor to dust shield. Push back on suspected areas.
Verify the caliper is also not getting close to the shield as the pads wear the shield may have been bent when installing new pads but now the caliper is pulling the shield closer.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Odd rubbing noise when turning right and going straight at low speeds

Turned out to be the bearing. Took the the spindle off my other accord and put it on there. Noise went away and looking at the removed spindle, it wobbles all over even though the 3/9 and 6/12 shake test showed no issues. Chinese Timkins are garbage. They didn't even last 25k